1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spinoff from the "Wilkinson" thread...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forever settled in heaven

so, if "judgment calls" of insertions are allowed in translations, then translations are exempt from Rev. 22:
    18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

2. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Are you saying translations are all wrong? Or are you saying that any thing goes in translation? Maybe you only accept the Greek. Perhaps the curse only applies to the Greek (eh?).

What is your point friend?

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thing is, I am NOT wrong. YOU are. Why? because there IS a DEFINITE article in Greek, equivalent to the English 'the'. We know Paul was a well-educated man, & if he had meant 'THE root', he woulda used this definite article. He could NOT have used an indefinite article equivalent to the English 'a' cuz THERE ISN'T ANY!

In this verse, both 'a' and 'the' are translators' choices, and for the verse to make sense in English, a word MUST be inserted between 'is' & 'root'. And 'a' is the CORRECT, LOGICAL choice. The lova money simply is NOT the ONLY root of evil! YOU know that as well as I do, but I believe you've allowed your zeal for the KJVO myth to steer you down a bunny trail, trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Can you *PROVE* this reading wrong?

"The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

4. Forever settled in heaven

thanks for thinking with me.

remember, it's you who stated it first: "There is no indefinite article "a" in the original language so the translator inserted it."

i'm just taking that statement back to the Scriptures.

so, back to the Scriptures, what i'm saying is that we DO see translations adding to and subtracting from the source language. e.g. when you check out when the NT quotes the OT, articles and nouns and other parts of speech get changed. no need to know Greek or Hebrew here: it's not hard to count the words and compare. go ahead, check it out, and get back to me!

and YET, Jesus, Paul, and the other NT writers all confidently affirm their non-identical quotes as "Scripture"--over and over again! every time, the meaning is the same--more or less. but the wording certainly isn't.

ok, do your homework, establish the true facts, and we'll start talking about "the point." :smilewinkgrin:

if u open yourself to the evidence of Scripture, u'll find yourself 75% extricated from the myths of KJBOism.

the final 25% comes from singing "All the way my Saviour leads me."

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

What a response out of pure ignorance. Your bais refuses to understand that many worship services have been where there was no other version even in the building!:smilewinkgrin:

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This reminds me of an old saying- "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with baloney."

Did you do a Bible check at the door to make sure no one entered with another version? Or are you omniscient?:rolleyes:

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This belongs in the sugar-coated thread. :D

You really cleaned that up Mexdeaf. :laugh:

8. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

I am not attempting to prove that reading wrong. You have the shoe on the wrong foot. I am showing that the KJV reading is correct.

Robycop3: "We know Paul was a well-educated man, & if he had meant 'THE root', he woulda used this definite article."

That statement is entirely wrong. The article is often omitted from Greek. You had better go back to the basics on that one. The absense of an article in Koine Greek doesn't suggest an indefinite article in English.

A.F.

#48 AntennaFarmer, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  9. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

I don't have to resort to "counting words". Do you? I have sufficient knowledge to appreciate that translations can differ and still be correct. That is one of my points in this thread.

I started calling myself KJVO because I only use the KJV and wanted to disassociate myself from those who go about slamming the KJV.

I am quite familiar with the modern versions. Though I have some issues with them I don't go around slamming them. So please save your anti-"KJBonlyism" for someone else.

A.F.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antenna Farmer:I am not attempting to prove that reading wrong. You have the shoe on the wrong foot. I am showing that the KJV reading is correct.

But it is NOT correct.

Long ago, I said that the Greek allowed for the KJV's translation, but that the INFO contained in that rendering was wrong. The simple, unalterable FACT is that the lova money is NOT "the" roota ALL evil. No amounta twisting nor a volume of words will change that fact.

Robycop3: "We know Paul was a well-educated man, & if he had meant 'THE root', he woulda used this definite article."

That statement is entirely wrong. The article is often omitted from Greek. You had better go back to the basics on that one. The absense of an article in Koine Greek doesn't suggest an indefinite article in English.

Well, it certainly doesn't suggest a DEFINITE article, that's for sure!

And again, you're trying to get away from the fact that the KJV's reading, while being an acceptable rendering of the Greek, is simply WRONG according to REALITY. And don't forget that the CORRECT rendering..."the love of money is A root of ALL KINDS of evil"...is also correct according to the Greek. No bunny trail is gonna take you away from that fact.

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

OK, Sir Know-it -all, tell me which versions were present in the Upper Room on the day of pentecost?

Wasn't but one, and that was the Holy Ghost!:sleeping_2:

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

people of a feather do flock together and award each other their own prizes of commemoration.

Do you both have the Oscar Meyer award of brilliance? Maybe just a Gwaltney?

#52 Harold Garvey, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  13. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Common sense has no effect on irrationality as we can observe here.

Money =gain and the love of money/ the root of all evil makes it the ROOT cause of getting greedy filthy gain of the unrighteous mammom.

Oh, that's right, when the Bible is attacked they forget about the other Scriptures to compare Scripture with to make sure we all have the correct rendering!

Wonder how roby will irrationalize when Jesus told the disciples to make friends with the unrighteous mammom so when they fail they will have support to get going again!

Maybe it has to do with having a good report of them which are without, but then there we go again, comparing Scripture with Scripture to be SURE we have the RIGHT interpretation!

Something the ones who just don't like the KJV, as their words indicate and with out a doubt, don't want the simple to know.

Go ahead with your irrationalizing and prevent yourself from knowing what the Lord would have you to know concerning His word.

The KJV said it quite well and the redundancy of some of the other versions is why I'll stick with the KJV!:sleeping_2:

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

No, but you are in the running for the SFIC BB award for a condescending attitude.

But there is a new poster in another thread that is a worthy opponent for that title.

There is a difference between disagreeing on doctrine and simply tearing someone down at every chance just because they do not believe as you.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there is a difference in being right regardless of twhether it fits one's agenda or not.

We Freedom Readers have clearly shown the KJV's rendering of 1 Tim. 6;10 is incorrect, and no amounta KJVO twisting or word play will make that reading correct.

"The love of money is A root of ALL KINDS of evil." Lessee the KJVOs prove that reading from the NKJV wrong.

Antenna Farmer sez they're both right. that's impossible since it's the same verse, regardless of versions, since the respective readings contain entirely-different messages.

16. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Which side are you on? You are making a KJVO point.

A.F.

17. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I was lampooning and you got real personal. weigh it out however you please, Brother, but get your thumb off the scales.

why is it so many here are so judgmental?

18. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

:laugh:The truth does have its way even with those who oppose it!

I'm not against other versions but I am against those who try to defile the KJV.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Freedom Reader. As I said, both translations are possible from the Greek, but the KJV's translation contains the wrong info.

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pointing out a goof is not "defiling". And what other version(s) would you recommend, Mr. Garvey?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.