1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spinoff from the "Wilkinson" thread...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I've already told you now several times [personal attack snipped]

#81 Harold Garvey, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

You will never get it roby, you don't even undertsnd the implications of being rich.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

Other "evils" such as hurricanes, etc. are not caused by lova money.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, how silly!

HG, your posts have stopped making sense. The lova money simply is NOT "the" roota ALL evil, & that's THAT! Reality bears this out.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you have given a politician's answer, while avoiding the REAL question/answer.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HG, from Post #58 this thread:I'm not against other versions but I am against those who try to defile the KJV.

And from # 75:yes, I am "KJVO" by your accusations, but KJVO is a strawman developed to put your brethren down.

So, ya either are or aint KJVO. WHICH IS IT, Mr. Wishy-Washy?

If you are KJVO, you're following a false, man-made doctrine not found whatsoever in Scripture.

If you're not KJVO, then you must consider some other version(s) as also being God's word. What other English version(s) do you also consider valid?

7. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

These don't originate from the heart of man and are only perceptions of evil from the eyes of men.

You're in left-outfield on this rant of yours.

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I agree, because I don't think anyone knows what a "roota" is.

The context of dealing with men and their quams is found to always be that the root of all evil subsists in man's depraved factors incorporated into getting ill-gotten gain of any sort and by those same means.

I almost am convinced your rant falls into that same catagory due to your idea that you have somehow gotten gain over simple common sense!

9. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Just as I told you, your OPD has gained control of your mind refusing you to be able to receive what I said and this subsists in the same love of money being the root of all evil.

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I could answer you but I'm afraid your intentions are not exactly honest and for my best behalf.

I told you I am "KJVO" as you describe others but only to try and prove them to be less than yourself. You do this regularly and by accusation.

I have done nothing more or less than say the KJV is the word of God and you're lying in wait to try and rake me across the coals of the pit of fire you created and just for that purpose.

I find your practices in this area to be reprehensible.

Any versions that holds true to the word of God that doesn't confuse the child of God who is dedicated to knowing the will of God can claim Jeremiah 33:3 as the promise of God to give unto him exactly as the verse promises.

Study it all out sometime in the Hebrew for each verbal phrases meaning, in FULL meaning, please!

If you do, you'll find the love of money IS the root of ALL evil, just as the Lord wants us all to know, so stop playing the devil's advocate on this subject.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Mr. Garvey, you sound very familiar to me. Did you ever go by the name of Salamander? :D

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good detective work Amy. Sal has been called out. The days of his alter ego are numbered.

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you're KJVO, simple as that, and therefore believe a NON-SRIPTURAL doctrine.

And you can rattle 'til your keyboard falls apart, but the lova money is simply NOT the roota all evil, as REALITY proves out, and you've been shown by undeniable examples. The only game you're playing is with YOURSELF, and it's called "Chasing One's Own tail".

And I don't care if you call yerself Sally Manders or Garvey Wallbanger, your stuff just aint too smart. You're making yerself look silly trying to justify a man-made false doctrine. You're good for a few laffs here if nuffin else.

14. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Originally Posted by AntennaFarmer [​IMG]
    You have not explained yourself clearly.

I assume that you intend to say that one of the definitions of gk: kakos is "wickedness" so therefore the meaning of the eng: "evil" in this verse should be understood as "wickedness". Is that correct?

A.F.

So your expert reading of the Greek is that the verse 1 Timothy 6:10 should read "For the love of money is (sometimes) a cause of some kinds of wickedness... (?)

I note that none of the standard translations read at all like you claim it to mean.

I also note that you haven't proven anything at all but repeatedly restated your original opinion. Your opinion is only supported by a straw man argument that some wickedness isn't caused by the love of money. Your argument is proven to be a straw man because there are several other possible understandings of the verse.

Furthermore, the translations say "evil", not wickedness. I have only found one that says "caused" (CEV) instead of "root of". Perhaps you should consider why the translators of the modern versions chose to stick with "root of" and "evil" if a clearer understanding were to be had from "cause" and "wickedness". The choice of definition for a word in the original language depends on the way the word is used. We, as readers, are not free to choose whichever definition strikes our fancy.

Considering your strong opinions and extensive time in this forum you display a surprising failure to understand the most elementary ideas. For example, you assert that the absence of an article in the Greek suggests a definite article should be inserted. That is an error any beginner should know is false. It is (apparently) a fallacy that was employed in the NWT to justify their mis-translation in John 1:1 where it says "and the word was a god". Had you even taken the effort to consider the matter you would have realized the mistake of taking that line of argument.

If some of us take the verse out of context and arrive at the wrong understanding it does no good to counter the argument by again taking the verse out of context and arriving at a different understanding. Read the verse in context for the primary meaning. Paul makes his primary meaning clear. It comes through fine in the KJV. Amy G. stated it well when she said: "Taken in context, it makes perfect sense whether it's written as "a" root or "the" root."

A.F.

15. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Had to make my answer long enough to reply.

16. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

It's realy wasting time to reply to people who refuse to accept their view is not the sole authority in every matter.

I am only "KJVO" in your mind so you can be critical of me personally and to lift yourself up to some level above others. each of your remarks shows this condescending air about you.

You can rattle your tail all you wish and attack the KJV and refuse to accept the words it offers and it'll keep saying the same truth until Jesus comes back and then you'll have to deal with it forever in front of you as it is forever settled in heaven.

You, and others need to lay off this witch-hunt of yours.

What is so sad is to see people like yourself be confronted with the truth and given ample time to respond coherently and all you can do is throw dirt.

Antenna farmer has your tail nailed to the wall and all you can do is scream at me fals accusations.

You know the devil does this very thing. I can only think you won't respond in an acceptable way to that either?

The references I see show your idea to be correct, but only to the degree of limiting the scope of what they give on this subject. There are other references long accepted before you came along, they agree with my understanding.

If you wish to stay in this state of ignorance you do that against reason.

Jonnv offered some examples of "errors" in the KJV, but his reasoning is just as limited as yours. That makes me suspect you are also Jonnv and have two names you are posting under, is this true? Why should i ask, because if you are you know that will cause your suspension.

In fact, if I stoop to your level I would say something like you have said, "You can call yourself robo totty or john outtahouse all you like but you are being laughed at"

[Personal attack snipped]

#96 Harold Garvey, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  17. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Thank you Brother, but I am beginning to even feel our time is wasted dealing with some one who already has their mind made up no matter what you shows them.

I am glad I have seen all the implications of the verse to mean that the love of "gain"/money is the root of all evil.

Now when somebody, like roby, wants to redefine the term and demand it apply to every sense is just irrational and dumb.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am tired of snipping personal attacks so this thread is closed.

ADMIN WARNING: This kind of repeated attack will not be tolerated and the poster will be given his marching papers if they continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.