1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spirit of God, spirit, spirit of God, Spirit of the LORD, holy spirit, Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by music4Him, Apr 5, 2006.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Job 33:4 The [/b]Spirit of God[/b] hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Numbers 11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.

Numbers 24:2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him.

Judges 3:10 And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel, and went out to war: and the LORD delivered Chushanrishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed against Chushanrishathaim.

Psalms 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

I did a search in my "esword" online bible. My question is....
    Is it the same Spirit/ spirit/ Holy Ghost/ Spirit of the Lord...ect. thats mentioned in the OT and NT? Is it the one in the same?
    Yes or no please explain.
    BTW, I know that someplaces where the word "spirit" (lower case "s") is mentioned it will sometimes mean a mans spirit, familiar spirit, or the emotion... but what about how it is mentioned in Numbers 11:25, Numbers 24:2 above or Psalms 51:11? [​IMG]

2. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

the Word of God is not case sensitive, nor does it have punctuation in the manuscripts. the translators add the caps for emphasis - sometimes in printing they miss a few ;)

all of the Spirit references you gave all mean the Holy Spirit - just a different way of saying it.

I think most of us captilize the use of God, Lord, Spirit, Jesus to give deference, respect, and honor to God. I ususally cap the pronouns relating to Him also and sometimes His Attributes and most certainly the host of Names for Him that we find in the Bible. Like Rock, Living Water, Bread of Life, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, etc.

Hope that helped :D

3. music4Him

music4Him New Member

all of the Spirit references you gave all mean the Holy Spirit - just a different way of saying it.

So then the Holy Spirit is the Holy Ghost? And it was moveing on people in the Old Testament days as well as the New Testament?

4. eloidalmanutha

yes, the Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost are the same thing. Ghost means spirit, just an earlier English - it does not have the same connotation as the word "ghost", today - which would be evil spirits of sorts.

The Holy Spirit came "on" people and was also "in" some of the OT saints. When Jesus sent the Holy Spirit in the NT, He would indwell all believers - this was not true in the OT.

Today, we must be born again of Spirit and Water -in and through Jesus Christ, because He is the blood sacrifice for sin, forever. When we accept Jesus as our Savior from sin, His Spirit fully indwells at that moment. Now we are moved by the Spirit from within.

In the OT the blood sacrifice was animals, and had to be done continually to cover sin. So there was no way to be fully redeemed - therefore the Holy Spirit could not indwell the believer like today, and God would move "on" people by His Spirit.

I hope I am not confusing you [​IMG]

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

No you are not confusing me......others have although. Kinda figured that the Spirit has always been here...it just gets confusing with the 70n AD deal to suppress the gifts of the Spirit. If the Spirit has been around since the beginning it makes since that the Spirit will always be around. Thank you for clarifing this. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I call God's Spirit the Holy Spirit, it seems more reverent than Holy Ghost, IMHO.

7. eloidalmanutha

well . . . God is a Spirit - the Holy Spirit is God, so yes, He will be around forever. As Aaron Shust says in his latest song:

My God, He Was
    My God, He Is
    My God, He's always gonna Be [​IMG]

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

well . . . God is a Spirit - the Holy Spirit is God, so yes, He will be around forever. As Aaron Shust says in his latest song:

My God, He Was
    My God, He Is
    My God, He's always gonna Be [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thats so awesome ain't it!
    1Cor 12:4-7
    Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
    5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
    6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
    7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

[​IMG]