1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spiritual Warfare studies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Theologian10, May 18, 2012.

1. Theologian10

Theologian10 New Member

Board,

I have read through some of the threads and found that some of you have had experience with the South African Theological Seminary. As of now, I will be entering their PhD program and focus my dissertation studies on Spiritual Warfare. I'm not sure where I will be going with it but I do want to focus on warfare in the 21st century.

What are your thoughts on SATS, and does anyone have any recommendations on sources for my research. My personal studies will focus on warfare from the first Biblical mention to the modern era. Since that is so broad, I will be in prayer about what direction to take this.

God bless

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    T 10,

You may want to change your tag line and put something about "SATS" in it. That way you will draw some more responses.

I might ask, "Why SATS?" I am for it, I just wonder why you would choose it?

I am counseling a young friend of mine who wants to be a missionary overseas. He is graduating tomorrow with the MCS degree from a top tier American university. He has been told, by many, that the SATS doctorate can do for him what he needs; since he has a bachelor's degree from an American seminary and a Master of Christian Studies from a good US university. His rationale is that it is portable, cheaper, and that he can get to the field sooner; all by just doing a dissertation.

I might ask if I may, "What do you plan on doing with the degree?"

Teaching positions in the US are very hard to come by. There is a glut of PhDs who want to teach in the Humanities in general and in Religion in particular. I would want you to consider that if you want to teach in an American program you will probably need an American PhD from an upper level school with something, maybe a couple of things that set you apart from others, with all other things being equal.

Just the observations from and old man who has been around too long and probably seen too much.

"That is all!" :smilewinkgrin:

3. Theologian10

Theologian10 New Member

Great questions that I would be more than happy to comment on.

Currently, I serve as an educator to early teens and feel this is where God has placed me. However, I do the work of an evangelist and preach as a staff member of my home church. I minister in a poverty stricken area where full-time ministers are few and far between.

I also serve on a non accredited school board, that, in the past, was accredited many years ago. Our school needs accredited doctorates to help reach this status again. That is only one part of it. Of course, money and convenience are at the top, but I think that I would prefer the European model of having a mentor to help guide me to research a topic that I am very much interested in.

I have three degrees from accredited schools, and will be working on a fourth. For someone as busy as myself I think that being able to focus on the dissertation, although time consuming, is more beneficial to me.

I have also spoken to a scholar in distance education who spoke very highly of SATS and felt that it could open up doors in the States. Although, I agree with you, a US degree holds more, but I do have a great deal of accredited American education that could put me in a classroom. But for what I "do," this is the best route for me.

Now, for what I want to be....well...I'm still working on that...I do enjoy my job and would love to teach at local/distance Christian universities. However, a PhD is needed in order to do this. Now, an MA or MDIV could do this, but a "major" connection would be needed.

God bless

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board, Theologian10.

May I suggest that you can help us get to know you better if you will go to the very top of the main menu to "Welcome to the Baptist Board" and tell us a little more about yourself.

Glad to have you aboard.