1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Spiritually Dead or Spiritually Separated?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And thus is the stated position of the Reformed.
    However, as has been posted before, what answer can be given for those that chose to respond to Christ "of their own will" not being influenced by Christ at all?

To the Roman Centurion:
    Matthew 8:10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
    --Where did this centurion "get his faith" from?

To the men carrying the one sick of the palsy Jesus said:
    Matthew 9:2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.
    --It was their faith; obviously Jesus didn't give it to them.

To the woman diseased with an issue of blood, Jesus said:
    Matthew 9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.
    --The woman's faith.

To two blind men requesting to be healed, he said:
    Matthew 9:29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.
    --"their faith"--where did it come from; not from Christ.

A Canaanite woman had a daughter vexed with a demon and came to Jesus for help. Jesus first likened her to a dog:
    Matthew 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
    But when she continued to plead, Jesus said:
    Matthew 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.
    --A Gentile woman had great faith according to Jesus. How did she come by this great faith? She certainly wasn't saved, or regenerated.

Paul came to Lystra and met a cripple:
    Acts 14:9 The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed,
    --Where did the faith come from? Paul makes no inference that it was from God.

All throughout the Bible, and especially the gospels faith is spoken of in a personal way. Jesus again and again speaks of "your faith.
    "

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2194194&postcount=187

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The construct of "free-will" is fictional. There cannot be true free will when people are hampered by their sin and can do nothing pleasing to God. To call the will "free" is to totally invert the meaning of free.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Rev 12:9

By the same token, does the above, trump, free will? Can one deceived even know he is deceived?

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Those in the flesh cannot please God, Rom 8:8 and Faith pleases God Hebrew 11:6 so then those in the flesh can't believe !

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Being spiritually dead is not like being a stiff corpse, quite contrary, its to react in a active rebellious nature, and its the not being able to change which is liken as being a corpse, in other words to get man to change from being rebellious by nature is like getting a dead corpse to change !

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why not answer the post instead of just repeating your mantra.

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Its worth repeating, if you would believe the Truth of those verses, you would gain some understanding !

Also I posted this:

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't answer the post. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Let me help you along:

To the Roman Centurion:
    Matthew 8:10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
    --Where did this centurion "get his faith" from?

The Roman Centurion was an unsaved Gentile at the time he came to Jesus.
    Jesus commended him for "HIS" faith.

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

If he had Faith then he was born again, that's simple, since They that are in the flesh can't please God Rom 8:8 !

11. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I have not forgotten to reply. I had to drive to Florida (900 miles). I will resume participation as soon as I can.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Many of your answers are "in the flesh." They are carnal. For example, to a well thought out post you curtly reply "invalid comment." That is "of the flesh" or carnal. And it doesn't please God. All that you do on this forum "doesn't please God, so work from there.
    IOW, the phrase "in the flesh" does not just apply to the unsaved.

(Don't misunderstand what I said. I didn't say: everything you said was carnal; I said or meant to say that some of your posts are "in the flesh" or carnal. Don't take it the wrong way.)

1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
    --Contrary to some people's thinking here, these "brethren" that Paul was addressing here were the "carnal Christians" at Corinth. But some would go so far as to deny scripture than to admit that their theology could be wrong.

#32 DHK, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Personal attacks now !

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The only person who never says anything "of the flesh" is the person that is perfect or without sin.
    The Bible says of that person:

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Do you really think it was a personal attack?

15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Rabbit Trail !

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

17. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

18. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry for not responding earlier. I am out of state for the next week and have limited access to the Internet.

You are seeking a disputation on process when the issue is what does Paul mean by using nekros. Why that specific, graphic word? I am starting to sound like a broken record with my responses because the questions you are asking are all similar.

If by biblical you mean a direct quote from scripture, then no, it is not. But if that is the litmus test for responding then we might as well ditch any response in this thread that is not a direct scripture quote. The point is biblical.

John 1:4 is connected all the way back the Genesis creation narrative. Man was created as a higher order of creature than the rest of creation. He was created in the moral likeness of God. That likeness was marred by sin, but it is not gone. Man still retains a spiritual component. Fallen but retained The light man possesses today is the same type of light that allows him to conclude that there is a God (Romans 1), but that knowledge is not sufficient to save him. Indeed, in the next verse (John 1:5) the Apostle writes, "The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." We are back to Romans 8:7: 1 Corinthians 2:14; and Ephesians 2:1 - total inability.

Says you. It is God who made us alive while we were still dead in our trespasses and sin.

Ask that question to your Synergist friends.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
    The word indeed is nekros, indicating dead, or spiritually dead in context but again referring to separation. The word is used 132 times in various contexts.

For example, in the second chapter of James:
    James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

In each of the above four cases the word for death is nekros or as you say, corpse. "Faith, if has not works is "corpse."
    Well no. If faith is separated from works, James says it is alone, "being alone," and therefore without works it is "a corpse"?? No again. If faith is separated from works there is no corpse, that is not the point. It simply means that the faith is useless. The works must proceed from the faith to be of any use. The faith is still there. It is not as a corpse, lifeless, non-existent. It is inoperable, unable to produce works or the right kind of works.

20. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent exegesis of Scripture! :thumbs: It is tough to persuade those who have already succumbed to the error of Calvinism. I would say even impossible. But there are many observers which are dabbling in understanding these things whom can be helped to avoid the same mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.