1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sports …an important part of education?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Benjamin, why did you pm me and tell me about this thread. I have just now seen it!

Gotta go read and then I'll be back.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

sigh, I have to have a message outside the quote.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ehh, I thought I'd let it be a surprise...:smilewinkgrin:

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I think physical fitness is just as useful in one's life and career as these other skills in many ways, yet no one asks the students to pay for taking a these other classes. Why exclude them or discount their importance? A phrase one might learn in sports, “Be ALL you can be!”

Parents, in general, often do not pick sports as an important activity for their children and just look at the physical condition and health issues of the average children today!

I did not, and would not have learned the benefits of physical achievements from my parents. This public education, which came from one who believed in the benefits from within it, who saw the importance of children’s participation in sports, was a great advantage to me. In my line of work, as many other lines of work, being physically fit set me apart from the others.

For instance, most people don’t realize how physical the trade of Custom Cabinet Making is, but at a young age I worked my way up the ladder in a large shop while amazing people with how much work I got done. At 20 I had my own station in which I did special custom products and worked circles around the other men in that position which were in their 30’s or older. I would have people ask, “Why, do you work so hard?” and even heard of jealousy rumors of some calling me a “brown nose” for putting forth such unmatched effort. If one was to ask why I put in such effort, my reply was that I was doing it for myself, to better myself, teach and train myself to be able to put out a tremendous about of work so that I could make a good amount of money when I got on my own, which I did at 22. These ethics of working hard to achieve were learned on the wrestling team at public school and this experience also lead me into the path of having the strength, conditioning, agility and dexterity skills I needed to do it.

I also literally built our beautiful custom 5400sf home entirely by myself at a cost of 160k for the materials. I have a nicer home than most the Doctors, Lawyers, and Business men that I build cabinets for and I owe this ability to the work ethics I learned during participating in sports. BTW, I was a high school dropout and am just now getting a formal edgumacation, but am still applying an important skill I did learn back in school.

Today, at my age, I realize that being a one man band and keeping this type of pace is becoming unrealistic (amongst other motivating factors) so in going into the trade of Physical Therapy I am again applying my skills of physical fitness to my trade. Unlike most the others approaching this field I look the part, and no doubt I will have and/or will gain the respect of my employers, colleagues and patients because of this important factor and will have an edge.

These is a huge difference between” a few” that will explore with “Mommy” and “all” being challenged by being put in a position which demands that one puts forth more effort than what they “think” they got because of “if” it was as being a mandatory requirement to participate in athletics within a public system while getting professional guidance to excel.

At 17, as a “no-belt”, I was seeking out and beating up black belts for a hobby. :eek: I was able to do this because of my superior conditioning and training experience learned from participating in sports. :eek::D

It’s not the knowledge of whether one has participated in competitive sports that I speak of, it is the general work ethics which are learned through the kind of experience one gets and the “benefits” of learning about going above and beyond to succeed athletically and which evidence is now spread out and apparent throughout their persona.

http://fitness.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_financial_benefits_of_exercise

The lifestyle learned, most often through sports and the commitment to achieve superior physical fitness in order to succeed, are unmatched in the aforementioned benefits.

Sometime I’ll have to begin a tread on the causes and treatments of arthritis.

You ought to see the general physical condition of my classmates; (and this is a course that is quite difficult to get into) it would be a joke, except I see very little humor in it!

#24 Benjamin, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010