1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sports card collectors

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Surfer Joe, May 14, 2007.

1. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

Any out there?

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I was a pretty avid baseball card collector during my college years, and on occassion got some football and basketball cards too. It's been a while since i've really gotten into it.
    I've got some pretty good Nolan Ryan money cards, Griffey rookies, etc...nothing major, but enough to pass on to my son if he wants to get into it.

I did bye him a box of 2006 NFL cards a few months back and we open a few packs from time to time. He's got some pretty good rookie cards from that class (Bush, Young, etc...).

3. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

That's one of my reasons for collecting cards. I just like to anyways, but I hope to pass them on to my son if I have one. I definitely don't collect in hopes of making any money.

Nolan Ryan was one of my favourites. I think I may have a card or two of his from when I was a kid. I have a whole set of football cards as well.

I just started buying baseball cards again for the purpose of sending them out to the players in hopes of getting autographs. I was just introduced to the hobby a few months ago. Still waiting on my first card to return though.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I was a huge baseball, basketball and football card collector while a child and a teenager. I probably have over 20,000 cards in the attic of my home. I am planning on selling them one day for something special. :)

5. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

LOL I'm the opposite. I didn't collect too many cards as a child and now I want to.

Hey, what are you planning on selling them for?

6. PastorSBC1303

ummm 4-5 million for all of em, but for you a special deal of 2.5 million :)

Actually I have no clue how to even set a price on em.

7. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

Haha I'll have the money by next Tuesday. :godisgood:

I think you'd have to look at Beckett magazines or maybe some websites to give you an idea of how to price them. I hope you get some good coin.

8. PastorSBC1303

Yeah, I know about Beckett, I used to get them all the time. But do you realize how long it would take to price 20,000 cards?

9. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe New Member

:laugh: Yeah a very long time eh? Who knows...by the time you got done all that the cards could go down in value. :tonofbricks:

10. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use to love the hobby but all of the fun is now gone as it is too much of a business now.

My dad had a friend that use to work at Topps and he started sending me sets beginning in 1978.

I have tens of thousands of cards but about 5 years ago or so I consolidated all of my more valuable ones in one big box. It may be fun to look through them again soon...

I have actually sold some of my valubale ones in the past that were more rare. I have probably made a couple thousand just from what I sold but I probably should have held on to some of them as well.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ditto. I can remember just being glad to get the cards. I didn't care if they were mint or not. And I liked the gum :)

I sold most of my football and baseball cards when I was in college to help pay tuition. I gave away what few football cards I had left to some neighbor kids.

I'd love to collect again, but it is indeed too much of a business. The innocence lost :tear:

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard that if you bend the edges a little bit their value goes up.... :smilewinkgrin:

I collect Japanese baseball cards and some American ones (when I can get down to the card shop in the big city). I'm the proud owner of the Japanese rookie cards of Matsui (Yankees), Ichiro (Mariners), Dice-K (Red Sox) and a few others.

Check out this website: http://www.robsjapanesecards.com/

[​IMG]