1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spurgeon on slavery

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • “Some American divines seem to regard it, indeed, with wonderful complacency. They have so accustomed themselves to wrap it up in soft phrases that they lose sight of its real character…It is, indeed, a peculiar institution, just as the devil is a peculiar angel, and as hell is a peculiarly hot place. For my part, I hold such miserable tampering with sin in abhorrence, and can hold no communion of any sort with those who are guilty of it.”
    [​IMG]
    http://www.allthingsexpounded.com/2014/10/charles-spurgeon-against-slavery/

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't worry....for all Calvinists who are pro-slavery you always have George Whitefield....:D sorry.....bad joke.....unless you're not a pro-slavery Calvinist...or not a Calvinist at all....then it's pretty darn funny...Biggrin....:rolleyes:....or not.

And is it just me or does Spurgeon kinda look like the Beast on X-Men?

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is funny to think about how regular bathing has shaped men's hairstyles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bobbi Jessica

Bobbi Jessica Jesus loves the little children

That's an interesting description of slavery. What type of slavery are you particularly bothered by? It seems like there are so many forms of it today and it reminds me of this quote by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

It seems like an adequate reference to our society today. We slave (work) to to eat, to live, to do almost anything. Like Alex Jones and this "prison planet" mentality. It seems like death brings the only form of freedom. (Other than that found in Jesus). I'm speaking on a more literal term here.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "For my part, I hold such miserable tampering with sin in abhorrence, and can hold no communion of any sort with those who are guilty of it.”

He smoked many of the proceeds thereof. "...no communion of any sort..." In James Monroe's eye!