1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spurgeon

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chris Temple, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Some excellent quotes by the Prince of Preachers:

"If God requires of the sinner, dead in sin, that he should take the first step, then he requires just that which renders salvation as impossible under the gospel as it was under the law, since man is as unable to believe as he is to obey." (Charles H. Spurgeon) Dec 14-16 weekend

"I believe the man who is not willing to submit to the electing love and sovereign grace of God has great reason to question whether he is a Christian at all, for the spirit that kicks against that is the spirit of the unhumbled, unrenewed heart." (Charles H. Spurgeon) Dec 18

"Who is to have authority in the matter of gracious adoption? The children of wrath? Surely not; and yet all men are such! No, it stands to reason, to common sense, that none but the parent can have the discretion to adopt." (Charles H. Spurgeon) Dec 20

"Is your heart resting upon Jesus Christ? Does it meditate upon divine things? Is your heart a humble heart? Are you constrained to ascribe all to sovereign grace? Do you desire holiness? Do you find your pleasure in it? Does your heart ascribe praises to God? Is it a grateful heart? And is it a heart that is wholly fixed upon God, desiring never to go astray? If it be, then you have the marks of election." (Charles H. Spurgeon) Dec 21

"It always seems inexplicable to me that those who claim free will so very boldly for man should not also allow some free will to God. Why should not Jesus Christ have the right to choose his own bride?" (Charles H. Spurgeon) Dec 22

2. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great quotes Chris! [​IMG]

3. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Chris:
    Great quotes. Spurgeon is soooooo gooood!!! I wear a T-Shirt that has a quote from Spurgeon on it.(It starts out: "Man is a reeking mass of corruption.) It is a real attention getter and has given me the opportunity to witness to people. I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I bought the T-Shirts over the internet from:
    http://www.hereistand.net/

check the site out. They have a T-shirt with Luther and Calvin on it also. But if you do wear those shirts in public be prepared to get into a discussion.

James2

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAMES2:
    It starts out: "Man is a reeking mass of corruption.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James; that's not seeker-sensitive at all! ;)

5. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Chris:
    You got that right. It does provoke discussion tho. When people start to faint you can catch them, revive them and then talk.

Or, the main thing you hear are sighs and groans. When you turn around and say great quote, don't you think, that usually gets something going. But you are right, not totally senstitive.
    James2

6. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I hear a lot about this Spurgeon guy. (Used to get him confused with Scofield). What books do you reccommend from the dude?

Pete
    formally Pure and Simple Genius

7. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete Richert:
    I hear a lot about this Spurgeon guy. (Used to get him confused with Scofield). What books do you reccommend from the dude?

Pete
    formally Pure and Simple Genius
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ALL OF THEM. See www.spurgeon.org