1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SS funds should be placed where?????

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Aug 29, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Nor did I (make fun of, that is) It's one of the few things we agreed on, in principle.

Look, you're not gonna get me to defend Bush's spending habits.

But this statement insinuates that he, working alone in the dead of night, "stole" our SS. We both know that's not accurate. There's plenty of blame to go around.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yeah, I'm sure Reagan stayed up at night, thinking: "Now...how can I defraud mr. billwald out of his money?" Please.

If a government rep came to my house and said, "Mister Rbell, we'll make this offer: You won't see a dime of your SS, ever. But in return, starting today, you don't have to contribute a dime, either."

Now, obviously, there's an age at which that becomes a terrible deal. But at this point, where I am...I'd take it in a New York minute.

Yep. In fact, if you tried to run a SS-type "program," you'd go to jail.

I'm preparing my future as if I'll never see a dime of SS. And frankly, I think I'll see a greatly reduced benefit, if anything.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Reagan pushed a law to prevent people in two government systems from collecting SS benefits. Because I was in a state non-SS system I could have paid into SS for 20 years and only collected 20% (?) of my benefits. I quit working extra jobs and get Medicare under The Wife's SS number. You right wingers should be opposing this class of slavery . . . being required to pay SS and not being permitted collect.

4. alatide

alatide New Member

All I'm saying is that if Gore had been elected I think less of the Soc. Sec. funds would have been spent on the war and there might be a surplus today to help with the retirement of the Baby Boomers. Do you agree that we'd be better off now if that had been done?

5. targus

targus New Member

For all I know Gore could have been the same giddy spender that Obama is proving to be. Electing Gore would not have necessarily resulted in a surplus.

We would be better off if we were allowed to simply save the money - tax deferred - for ourselves.

6. alatide

alatide New Member

That change would be disastrous to current retirees including my 93 year old mother.

7. targus

targus New Member

How about allowing individuals to simply opt out if they so desire?

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Pragmatically, it would not hurt your Ma because pragmatically, the Treasury will write any check (to your mother) that Congress orders the Treasury to write.

The point I'm trying to make is that pragmatically, there isn't and NEVER WAS a SS fund.

Would you all be happy if no tax money collected from Republicans supported food stamps and no tax money collected from Democrats was spent for foreign invasions? Pragmatically, all it would accomplish would be to cause the Federal govt to hire more CPAs. It would NOT change any spending for birth control or foreign invasions.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK...first, I think that Congress wouldn't let it happen. They're too addicted to spending. They wouldn't let Bush do the privatization, and they wouldn't have let Gore do the "lockbox."

Second...I think Gore is so pathologically consumed with "climate change," that he would have foregone saving any money so that he could rescue his girlfriend, mother earth, from the clutches of evil Americans.

10. theolog

theolog New Member

I don't think you should be using SS funds to buy a fishing boat. Sunday School offerings are supposed to be used for Sunday School. Are you robbing God?

11. alatide

alatide New Member

Electing Clinton resulted in a surplus. I'd say his VP would have done the same. The really out of control spender was Bush. Obama is spending a lot of money to get the economy on its feet again after two deep Bush recessions.

#31 alatide, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  12. theolog

theolog New Member

Seriously? Bush's 8 year term ended with budget deficit of less than $500 Billion. Obama is 8 months in and we're staring at $1.85 Trillion Budget deficit. And you want to propose that, between the two, Bush was the one with out of control spending? Whatever happened to intellectual honesty?
    One is as bad as the other.

13. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Now, now Theolog...you are new here so I will explain. Alatide is a small child who only knows what she has been told by T.V., public education, and whatever rap album she had the money to buy. Money is out of the question; unless you want to talk about her allowance.:laugh:

14. alatide

alatide New Member

Luckily for Bush, his depression didn't hit in full force until the fall of 2008. The entire world was impacted and he conveniently slipped out the back door. He left Obama holding the bag to get us out of that mess. Most of Obama's excess spending has been due to prevent an economic disaster.

15. targus

targus New Member

Interesting phrase.

If Obama's spending is in excess than by definition it is not necessary.

16. targus

targus New Member

A large majority of "the one's" spending is scheduled for the out years and has no impact on the current economy other than increasing the probability of high inflation and high interest rates in the near future which will in fact be an economic disaster.

17. theolog

theolog New Member

Just curious... .would you say your church is a "Mosaic" church?