1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Standards of Dress

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by pjlpel, Oct 11, 2004.

1. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

At our church, we have two services on Sunday mornings. The earlier one (9:00 AM) tends to attract an older, more traditional crowd. Our pastor wears a jacket & tie during this service. The later service (10:30 AM) tends to draw a younger crowd- families with children, singles, etc. Our pastor tends to remove his jacket & tie during this service. I think in doing so he makes an effort to relate to & adhere to the expectations of each crowd, but I also think that in neither instance could he be faulted for taking either service less seriously than the other.

Here's a link to a photo of Rick Warren. This is pretty representative of how he looks during every service:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-07-21-rick-warren_x.htm

3. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I've seen Rick Warren preach. I have alot of respect for him and his ministry God is moving and blessing, but I don't preach in Cal. I don't have a church that is designed like a theme park. ( I still don't know what I think about that and the coffe bar). I think it does have a lot to do with culture and I would never insinuate that a Pastor is not taking worship serious. But we still come back to that role of leader, and as you pointed out your Pastor does dress acording to the crowd. I don't like split services (they had one here with the last pastor, which is funny because the adult congregation is between50-60) So we have to aproach multigenerational crowds to create a worshipful atmospher.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The worship building is like one big gymnasium. It is a multi-purpose room that hold about 3200 people. However there are many church services at the same time for different age groups. Many large churches have been doing the same thing for a long time.

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

I use them everyday. My coats separate my shirts from my pants in the closet and my ties, well I wear those on occasion.

Would now be a good time to bring up what shoes are appropiate to wear. That never seems to be an issue. :D

6. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I'm not just talking about the worship buiding, it is the entire facility that makes me scratch my head. This is beside the point though. The culture is different and Rick Warrens dress fits the people and work God has called him to.

7. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I don't want to veer this thread off-track, but the primary reason we have a two-service format (both on Sunday AM & Sunday PM) is that the whole church won't fit in our sanctuary at once. On Easter Sunday, we have to go to a three-service morning schedule (8:00, 9:30, & 11:00) to have enough seats. Last Easter we had about 3,300 in attendance, which is about 1,000 above normal.

8. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

That's great!!! I can see the practical reasons.

9. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Let me clarify. I don't like seperate services for contemporary and traditional. I feel it is devicive and forms two seperate bodies. That is another option when a church gets to be too large for its building. Start another church in a different community.

10. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Church-planting is another option that we've used. In 33 years, we've begun six other churches (five English-language & one-Spanish). The last one was launched just a month ago; and had 1st-Sunday attendance of >150. The next-to-last was in April of 2002; that one began with about 170 of our members (and has had a high-day since of about 375). A church that we began in the late 1970's actually now rivals us in size. Counting the Spanish-language church (which was in 2003)- that makes for three churches planted in the last 3 years.

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

This is a great conversation , but I think we got off subject. If it is worthy of another thread please start it, I will join in. Let's let this one get back on track :D

12. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I agree! [​IMG]

13. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

When starting my church, the pastor set the standard very high for proper church attire (shirt and tie for men, below-the-knee dresses for women). He and his wife led by example. Initially, there was a lot of hemming and hawing, especially from some of the women; however, it has been interesting to see the members slowly coming toward the standard. Although my wife has not completely given up her slacks, she does only wears dresses/skirts to church. You will see some slacks still around, but I believe that all the men are now in a shirt, tie, and most even in a jacket, every service. Women are slowly replacing their pants with dresses. The pastor does not try to beat it into us, nor does he ever make someone feel uncomfortable. He will announce a church activity and simply state that proper church attire is expected.

I invited a family to the church. The husband never wore a tie, had long hair, and a few tatoos. He swore he would never wear a tie, nor sport a short haircut. He was baptized two years ago this coming December. He is there every service (Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, soul-winning on Saturdays, monthly men's prayer meeting, etc.), wearing a shirt and tie, and is sporting a 'jim-dandy' hair cut. It is amazing to see the power of God working in his life. I have seen transformation after transformation in people's lives, and the pastor has never moved from his standards (dress, behavior, etc.). I believe that God does not look at us on the outside, but I do believe that the way we look on the outside says a lot about what we are on the inside. Just my personal observation.

14. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

williemakeit,

Just out of curiosity, What does a transformed heart look like on the outside? If this man and others are showing humility and sumissiveness, than I can see That being an outward sign of a changed heart, but if they are doing it because that is how a Christian looks, this is unbiblical, not the wrong way to dress, just not supported by scripture.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I really like is when a church welcomes anyone who comes through the door. My wife and I were in a church that changed our lives. We noticed that people came very well dressed and others had just comne from the beach in their flip flops. The pastor is now the dean of the school of theology at Talbot Seminary. He is a surfer and loves it. He wins people to Jesus and disciples them.

I am convinced some of the greatest damage is done to young believers by the average church goer. They see what churchianity is like instead of the real Jesus.

16. mioque

mioque New Member

"shirt and tie for men"
    "
    I've always been a strong believer in the notion that neckties shut down the bloodflow to the brain. [​IMG]

17. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Sorry, pastorjeff. I am not sure that I fully understand your question. Salvation has no outward appearance considering that once you are saved, you can go out in public wearing 'daisy dukes' and a halter top and it doesn't mean you have lost your salvation. I am talking about a church that seems to have men and women that are coming together in a 'oneness' (for lack of a better word) that is resulting in lost people being reached, families being closer, youth submitting to the authority of their parents, and many more attributes too numerous to list here.

It may not be supported in scripture regarding a particular dress code, other than modesty and covering up one's nakedness; however, it does seem that a church gathering in one accord, with all things in common (Acts 2:44), seems to be working for our church. If a church wants to do it with shorts and tank tops, or Khakis and Polo shirts, then more power to them. I have seen the lack of any dress standards in many churches (yes, even Baptist churches), and what it is producing, and have chosen not to attend those churches any longer. It was personally the best move I ever made for me and my family. I am sure that you have searched the scriptures, and prayed for God guidance on what is best for your church. I say God bless, and all power to you. I was just relating what I have personally observed happening in our church, and that lives have been changed for the better. Again, IMHO.

18. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Hello everyone, I've been away for quite a while. Good to be back.

One thing that I find disturbing (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that some of seem to think salvation leads one to dress in a particular way. Is this correct?

19. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Didn't hear it from me. I was saved when I went to this church. Had been for almost 30 years.

20. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

Better dressed , more casually dressed,women in slacks,men without ties or suits. I've seen em all that way.
    Just my thoughts now. We should all dress respectfully and modestly. It is the Lord God we are comming together to worship, praise, and learn about.
    I think a lot of it should have to do with where the church is.In a well to do area suits,ties and dresses may be appropriate. In an economically challenged area(hows that for picking words)a clean shirt and pants (even jeans)men and women may be appropriate. I think showing respect for the Lord is what it is all about. In any event if someone shows up at our church let us first worry that they feel welcome. Our first concern should be the condition of thier soul not thier suit.
    If the way we dress effects the way we witness on a daily basis then we have a problem in what we are being taught in church and sunday School.

If Jesus were to come back to earth for a quick visit for a week or two and walked into our church what would we want to show him? Our hearts or our Brooks Brothers' suits? And by the way I am just sure Jesus would never talk to a lady wearing a pair of slacks.