1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Starting at LRU This Summer

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by eddie, May 17, 2007.

1. eddie

eddie New Member

Hello All,

I completed my Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (45 hrs.) at Beacon University (TRACS accredited) a couple of weeks ago. :godisgood:
    I have just enrolled in the M.Div program at Luther Rice. LRU has given me 51 transfer hours from my graduate work at Southern Christian U. and Beacon U. I've registered for 9 hrs. Summer classes start May 21.

I enjoyed attending Beacon. Dr. Durden, my favorite professor, received his PhD from Mid-America Baptist Seminary (Mid-America must be a great school!). However, I decided to leave Beacon because they do not offer much in the way of biblical language classes.

Beacon's president announced that they plan to apply for SACS accreditation at some point, but he gave no indication of when that'll happen. Personally, I think they have a long way to go before they'll be ready for SACS. Even their web site needs a lot of work http://www.beacon.edu.

I strongly considered Liberty, but I want to take biblical language classes. LRU offers their Greek and Hebrew classes online, Liberty does not. Also, LRU is less expensive.

I'm really excited about attending LRU. Do any of you LRU students/alumni have any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks,

Eddie

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish you the best. I just started through Liberty, though I did consider LRU.

Since I already have taken Greek and Hebrew courses for my undergraduate ministry degree, I didn't have quite the same needs. Since Liberty is SACS-accredited, that sealed the deal for me.

3. GARick

GARick New Member

Eddie,

Congrats on your MA and welcome to LRU. I graduated from LRU last year and was well pleased with the experience. Although there are no longer residency requirements for the MDiv, I HIGHLY recommend doing as many classes throught the on-campus one-week modular format as you can fit in. The face-to-face interaction with profs and peers is a valuble supplement to the on-line (blackboard.com) format.

Also, with 51 transfer credit hours you have likely already used up significant Free Elective hours. As the language courses are not required for the MDiv, be sure to plan wisely to get the languages in with your remaining Elective hours.

Best of luck with your studies and don't hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way.

Rick

4. eddie

eddie New Member

Rick,

You bring up an excellent point. I will need to take more than the 39 hours I have left because of the language classes I want to take. I have used up the 30 hours of free electives allowed with the credits I transferred. My plan is to take 2 semesters of Hebrew and 3 semesters of Greek, which means that I'll have to take 15 hours beyond the 90 required. :BangHead:

I would like to take a few modular courses, but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance.

Thanks so much for the offer to provide assistance if I need it!

Eddie