1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

State of the church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Mar 25, 2011.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Please watch the attached video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XL8LvaJ9Rc

This is an old video from Spong who is an old Jesus Seminar fellow, but what he has to say is a lot of what I've heard from many today like the Rob Bell's and Brian Mclaren's. I also watched a segment on MSNBC where the commentator was slamming Glenn Beck on his religion. While I don't agree with Mormonism, I surely didn't agree with the MSNBC guy who kept stating that only idiots still believed the bible was true. It just seems like lately we are getting bombared with many who belittle Fundamental Christianity, and most of them are from within the church. Is this prevalent everywhere? Are we losing ground to this Emerging Movement today? I cannot believe anyone who claims to follow Jesus can sit in a church and listen to stuff like in the video from Spong. He sounds like a Buddhist. is there any good men in pulpits today warning their flocks against such hereises?

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's still plenty of good, solid preachers out there. They just don't get the media attention like the nut cases or ultra-liberal "spiritual" folks.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I wonder what he would say to Charles Manson? "Good job. You are a magnificent worshiper of God. You are being all that you can be!".

4. SolaSaint

LOL:laugh:

5. SolaSaint

Seriously though, are there really churches out there that follow this kind of doctine? If so how many and is it growing? This is just the kind of theology that is easily marketable to Americans--no tanscendent God who will judge all of humanity. Just live a good life however you feel is right and that is all that counts. No Heaven or Hell.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humanism, plain and simple.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Why specifically to Americans? Why not Germans, or British people, Australians or New Zealanders, or (let's face it) human beings in general?

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

^
    What she said!

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a long way from that of a Bible Scholar but it seems to me like so many "in the business" are trying to find "new" ways to motivate their members; to introduce a "new" theory; a "new" idea; a "new" way to fire people up. To expose and bring to light something that no other human behind the pulpit has ever exposed before. To create a Star Trek adventure where they explore "new" worlds. To create a tsunami in the mind of fresh new ideas, ad nauseum.

I've listened to many big name preachers on TV who will actually say, "What God is saying in this Scripture is....," Or, "What God is meaning here in this Scripture is...," Who knows the mind of the Lord? He chuckles at the wisdom of man.

What one Scripture means to you can often have an entirely different meaning and implication to me. That's why our Bible is for sure, The Living Bible and I don't mean some modern day translation. The Word of the Lord lives and breathes within the pages of His Word, our Bible. The Lord is quite capable of showing us what he wants us to know should we take a notion to find out.

Too many "new" theories causes too much confusion in the minds of weak or young individuals and before long, wham..., another New Religion has just opened up in that closed 7-11 store there on the corner.

Sometimes it's all I can do just to be me without trying to be all I can be to everyone else.

For sure, Satan is certainly worthy of eternal incarceration.

...and let me say this. One of the best tests of Your Faith Is To Wait Until You Have Run Out Of Money. Then you will discover things about yourself you never knew.

Talk about a humbling experience.

#9 HAMel, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Good old John Spong. Just as heretical as he ever was. At least he is consistant.

I hope that someday he is born of the Spirit and becomes a christian.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Of course there are. He would probably be welcomed to come and speak in ALL of the mainline ultra liberal groups. And not just the Unitarian Universalists, and others of their ilk.

Probably most of the mainline Presbyterians, Methodists and Episcoplaians would embrace his views.