1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status of SBC Today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The board that oversees that site has decided to leave the last two posts up for a while.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that sounds like a good decision. That way those stay up for folks to read rather than falling out of site due to new posts. A very stand-up way to proceed. (Looks like they are not allowing comments to post either; probably going into moderation.)

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rick is very grieved over his post. He has met with his church over this and he is no longer active on the internet.

5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a very gracious post her made. I don't know what was said by him, nor do I want to know, as that is none my business, but I could tell the true sincerity of what he typed.

I found this snippet quite telling...

"I posted my comment when I was extremely upset at the news of my ministry hero’s firing. I will not repeat the comment, for it was honestly reprehensible and completely unworthy of Christ. I do not speak of such things in my daily conversation. It is truly not who I am. After lashing out with sarcasm, I realized how wrong I was and removed the post from the private Facebook group after about 90 seconds. However, someone had already taken a screen shot and posted it publicly. My sin was thus exposed on social media."

Whoever did that needs to be openly shamed, imo. I think they did that with malice. Shame on whoever that was who did that.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was posted for all of two minutes before it was taken down. Literally two minutes. It was posted on a facebook page that was a group for traditionalists. A group of calvies, who do not like the group, are the one's who decided it needed to be exposed and they all reposted it over and over again. Some of them my friends on facebook. When I commented that it should not have been reposted they railed against me saying it needed to be exposed and then leveled some minor personal attacks for questioning their motives.

If you ask me it was all about personal destruction of someone with whom they disagree with. Nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said it was there for all of 90 seconds. We can disagree without trying to assassinate each other's character. That was low, whoever did it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has become the modus operandi of the digital age. Almost everyone is as foul-tempered as the Queen of Hearts, "Off with their heads!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I know my flesh causes me fits, and I am not looking for an excuse. Forgive me for the times I have sinned and done you wrong.

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why he is so grieved about it. He did a pretty good job of pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the group. I must admit, I laughed pretty hard when I read it.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you see it at?

#11 Revmitchell, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't find the post hilarious, but I do agree that it made a clear point about not just believing anything because you hear or read it. I can understand those named would be offended by the topic brought up, but if they weren't so self-absorbed they could have just passed over it. They didn't, because it further played into their agenda.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't those mentioned who brought it up, at least I didn't see that it was a slew of other calvies who called for him to be removed form his church and kicked out of the convention. Some of them facebook friends of mine.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know who initially brought it up (or captured the meme). It was discussed by at least Burleson and Moore, though.
    According to Christian Post, Burleson initially wrote on Twitter "That is sick. I want to puke." Russell Moore agreed, "Wade is correct. This is unconscionable." I thought I had read a similar comment by Ed Stetzer, but I can't find it now.

Later Wade Burleson mentioned it on his blog, calling "an obscene and graphic picture/comment." But there he didn't mentioned the name of the person who posted it or the other men named. He also said that he "found his apology refreshing."

15. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I googled it.

16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to clarify that it was nevertheless not a good way to make that point. The illustration will be forever remembered, when the point of the illustration is long forgotten. (That, and the topic of the illustration itself.)

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Done! I would say the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It accelerated and the biggest impact probably came from the reporter of the Star-Telegram from Forth worth. She was all over Patterson and was at the campus a lot. As soon has she got a hold of this she pounced all over Patrick.

If Patrick truly meant to just make a joke, he should have used names of people he was not in a habit of attacking. Rick knows he shouldn't have done it, that is why he took it down so quickly. Those he insulted accepted the apology. Granted I haven't seen all of them comment. Not sure if he(Patrick) needed to step down over this....however tasteless it was, he quickly sought to make it right. All of us make mistakes. He acknowledged it and apologized. Christians should move on. As I think most are willing to do.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She wouldn't have known about it if calvies hadn't kept reposting it. Sorry but the biggest impact came from those who disagree with him and want him destroyed. They did a good job.

20. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if his ministry wasn't dedicated to attacking them, perhaps they wouldn't have done it ;)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.