1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

STEELERS WIN!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by JackRUS, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Nonsense. That was a terrible call. Taking down a ball carrier is a tackle, not a block. The fact that he took somebody else down too doesn't negate the fact that he tackled the ball carrier. Your Steelers-colored glasses are affecting your judgment here. If we reverse the teams, and Big Ben is the one called for the illegal block on a tackle, I submit that you would be taking the opposite position.

I'm about halfway through the 3rd quarter in my replay of the game, just after the Hawks missed their 2nd field goal. With the miss at the end of the first half, there's 6 points the Hawks didn't have and there can be no blame assigned to the officials for those misses. In addition, the officials aren't the ones who threw the pick that led to the bad call on Hasselbeck's tackle.

My point about Ben's TD was that I don't see how the official can call it a TD at speed. You can barely see the ball on replay to know that it crossed the goal line, so how does he see it at speed?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-aftermath&prov=ap&type=lgns

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Nonsense. That was a terrible call. Taking down a ball carrier is a tackle, not a block. The fact that he took somebody else down too doesn't negate the fact that he tackled the ball carrier. Your Steelers-colored glasses are affecting your judgment here. If we reverse the teams, and Big Ben is the one called for the illegal block on a tackle, I submit that you would be taking the opposite position.

I'm about halfway through the 3rd quarter in my replay of the game, just after the Hawks missed their 2nd field goal. With the miss at the end of the first half, there's 6 points the Hawks didn't have and there can be no blame assigned to the officials for those misses. In addition, the officials aren't the ones who threw the pick that led to the bad call on Hasselbeck's tackle.

My point about Ben's TD was that I don't see how the official can call it a TD at speed. You can barely see the ball on replay to know that it crossed the goal line, so how does he see it at speed?
    </font>[/QUOTE]You obviously don't know the rules. It doesn't matter if he took down the ball carrier too. (I didn't think that he did anyway). He still took down a blocker first, and he did it with a block below the waist.

He didn't do it intentionally as he was just trying to tackle Ike Taylor, but that doesn't matter.

As I stated before, the NFL isn't the NHL. They call the rule as written in the book. Just as they should.

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]You obviously don't know the rules. It doesn't matter if he took down the ball carrier too. (I didn't think that he did anyway). He still took down a blocker first, and he did it with a block below the waist.

He didn't do it intentionally as he was just trying to tackle Ike Taylor, but that doesn't matter.

As I stated before, the NFL isn't the NHL. They call the rule as written in the book. Just as they should.
    </font>[/QUOTE]And BTW, if it wasn't called Hines Ward would have just had a longer touchdown reception on the Randel El pass. Same score...same result.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You assume too much.

Would it matter if he took the blocker out at all? I saw the play this morning and the only guy that Hasselbeck took down was the ball carrier. He barely brushed the blocker and it wasn't below the knees. I know the rule that says if a tackler gets called for hitting below the waist that he actually better hit somebody below the waist. Both Al Michaels and John Madden stated that it was a bad call. Again, your Steelers-colored glasses are affecting your judgment.

It is impossible to say this. The Steelers got an extra 15 yards that they shouldn't have had. If they had been 15 yards farther back, I'm not sure that they run the gadget play. Down, distance, field position are all considered when deciding what play to run. They may have run the gadget play for a touchdown, but they may not have. Impossible to say.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well the game is over.I'm a bigtime Seahawk fan.
    My heart wanted the Seahawks to win that game but my head told me it was'nt going to happen.Good teams do overcome bad calls.To me more important than the bad calls were the four dropped balls by Jeremy Stevens.

By the way to all of you Pittsburg guys congrats.If there were no Seahawks many of us would be Steeler fans. the Steelers have always been a class operation.

The Seahawks defense is so young.I expect the Hawks to be a much better team next year although they may go 11-5 or 12-4.Thier schedule should be tougher which will help them when the get to the plaoffs. Look at what a tough schedule and a tough playoff schedule did for the Steelers, they peeked at the right time.

7. A&I

A&I New Member

The Seahawks will be back next year. They have a very good team !

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The record of Superbowl losers the next year is not too good. People thought the Raiders would be back, people thought the Eagles would be back. But maybe the Seahawks will be different.

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I know what you mean but the Seahawk defense had 8 new guys on defense this year.Lots of guys with 3 years or less in the league. The defense got better every game last year. I think the defense will continue to improve. I also think now that they have been to the big game they will be hungrier than ever.We will know the truth of that by where they spend thier off season.