1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Steroids

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gorship, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interesting question - Kind of random

One hobby of mine is going to the gym - Now in the UK, you are allowed to posess Testostorone and other "Steroids" like Diannabol (Dbol) and Tren etc

Curious what your thoughts would be on using such things. They are illegal in Canada and im not praying for them to become legal or anything. Just curious on what your thoughts would be on use of such supplements.

After studying the scene for a bit I kind of have lost my "Roids are a plague and evil" mentality, So i have a different view i think than most, however! What say you fine members of BB!

Could a Christian - If it was legal in his country - use steroids without it being a sin?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have had to go on them for severe asthma and I can safely say that they would not be something I'd choose to use normally.

Some steroid use is not terrible. Without it, my husband would be dead (severe, SEVERE asthma and is on steroids for the rest of his life thanks to that - mine is just with illness). But just for the purpose of being able to exercise harder? I don't think that is wise for your body.

3. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I suppose if I were to play the role of "advocating" roids. my counterpoint would be that as Men age (I couldnt advocate Steroids for women), their testosterone decreases, if they were to synthetically upkeep their T levels, it could benefit their over all health.

Keep in mind - I personally don't think I could do them if they magically became legal in canada, its just a conversation I enjoy hearing both sides from.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Would it actually benefit their overall health? God has designed our bodies to do what it does for a reason. As I go through menopause, I will not take any additional hormones because I do not believe that it is safe to try to fool that which God has designed. I've spoken to a number of women doctors (doctors who are women) and they absolutely agree.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly with moderation. Like alcohol there is no biblical prohibition against it. But I would think that doing that should be done under the direct counsel of a medical doctor. At least to get you started. There are just to many side effects that can arise.

6. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again... just playing the other side here. Don't shoot the messenger!

My response would then be that since the fall, we are further and further away from how we once were before so then just as we take multivitamins to keep us level, or perhaps take anti-depressants to keep the synapses firing, males may find that a shot of Testosterone every week helps keep their muscle from deteriorating with age and helping them recover faster etc.

Rev:

even though im one of those crazy anti-alcohol guys, its definitely a valid point in both regards. Consulting your Dr is a for sure. Although one issue you may find is that if we are getting worse over time, the "Average" test level would be lower too, so what they think is "normal" could be low. Just a thought, anyway, random thread continues!

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The myths about steroids abound. A lot come from a Sports Illustrated piece from the late 80s.

Anyhoo...I'd say so long as they aren't illegal and don't cause you to grow a third eye or shrink your pinky toes...ahem...they aren't prohibited. I'd encourage anyone talking about this to watch the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" which should be on Netflix and a couple of other services. It really confronts the issues appropriately. :)

8. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    +1 for bigger stronger faster. great little mini documentary.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to take a slightly different viewpoint.

The viewpoint is that we are to be as Christlike as possible, and as such are to treat our bodies as if they were the very temple of God.

Would we engage in any activity or use any substance that did not provide what was necessary to maintain the health and well being of that temple?

Would we engage in any activity or use any substance that would enhance the health and well being of that temple?

Paul states that bodily exercise profits little - not that bodily exercise is not good or not to be done. The thinking is to keep as healthy without excess that is necessary for the "johnny or joan atlas" look.

If steroids are for heath concerns that a medical professional is monitoring, then such would be appropriate.

However, if taking performance enhancements is for merely puffing up, then that can be problematic.

There is also the addiction side of matters.

It is true that those who take steroids outside of medical oversight can become addicted to them, just as any other powerful mind, mood, body altering chemical.

For more information, some of the selected sites might help clarify use and abuse issues:
    National Institute on Drug Abuse

Help line for Steroid abuse

Another Help for Steroid abuse

There are many sites that are dedicated to educating folks both for steroid use and how to get treatment for abuse.

The bottom line is that just as some folks can become addicted to surgery and take advantage of something that is good and proper - making it hurtful and life threatening, some can become addicted to steroid use and suffer life threatening issues, too.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

From what little I have read about them, I'd avoid them like the black plague. They have been linked to increased BP, which leads to brain aneurysms(see Lou Ferigno), smaller testicles, and possibly "roid rage". Though I don't know how true any of these claims are, there's enough literature out there that I couldn't do them.