1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

still more airline regulations...

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by rbell, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

More data of travellers will be required...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125012447548327753.html

I know there could be a debate angle to this...and I'm not trying to start it in this non-debate realm.

Here's my angle:

It used to be, pre-9/11 and 9/11 regs, that I enjoyed flying. But...with 9/11 and all that comes with it, plus the airlines' cutbacks...flying isn't near what it used to be...not even close.

Which brings me to my question...

For me, any trip longer than a 7-hour drive would make me lean toward flying. Now...with the "arrive 2 hours early" rule, the lines, the cramped conditions, the customer no-service, the cost, etc....I am to the point that I'd rather make a 10 or even 11-hour drive rather than enduring the airline headache. For a 2-6 hour-drive...I'm not sure but what it's quicker to drive rather than deal with the waiting, lines, etc.

So...what's your "cutoff distance?" How long of a drive does it take you before you say, "Nope, too long a drive...I'll fly instead"?

As I said...for me, it's about 11 or even 12 hours.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont need to fly - We go Amtrak
    Of course we have a train station here in the Salt City. It is only a 5 - 6 hour trip, and as little as $50

Salty

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I travel on business regularly. If it takes longer than 6 hours to drive, it warrants flying and renting a car.

It also depends on the airport one flies out of. My home airport rarely requires me needing to get there more than 1.5 hours prior to a flight.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I haven't travelled much in the last few years simply due to the non necessity.

If I can fly financially, I will. But I don't mind driving either. Driving much over 8 hours, though, and I would prefer flying if money were no object.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good point. At my local airport, I can generally arrive around an hour early, check in, go through security, and eat a meal with plenty of time to spare.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Generally, I love flying.