1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

still some "old format" Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Oct 28, 2014.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We recently made a trip through parts of the Bible Belt and boy oh boy did we enjoy the available radio stations down there.

Apparently we aren't the only ones with the following point of view:

Worship is to happen 7 days a week, not just on Sunday, and needs no pastor, preacher, or shaman to happen.

Purpose of the church service is proclamation of the gospel and the conversion of sinners. Saints should be edified in Sunday School or Discipleship Training. The idea the purpose of preaching is to edify the saints, or that the purpose of the service is "contact with or service to God" are unbaptistic. The idea the preacher is the primary teacher means no one in the pulpit is proclaiming the gospel. That puts the preacher out of his primary role. Unlike the Catholics, we don't think God somehow is present inside the church walls and not outside, so we don't rely on a rite for contact with Him. And unlike the Pentecostals, we don't rely on some sort of emotional occurance at church for contact with God. Unlike the pagans, we need not come to church to "serve God." It isn't about what we bring Him, but what He brings us.

None of that means to be baptistic is to be afraid of emotion, to fail to have contact with God, to fail to be edified, or to fail to serve Him. It simply means that we have gotten off track of Baptist essentials. It means we have lost sight of what made Baptists Baptists rather than generic evangelicals or Protestants or Catholics or pagans. We've gotten confused about what job God has given to the average lay person, the musicians, the teachers, the deacons, and the preachers.

We were challenged to stay plugged in to those parts of our local church activities that "get it right" and abstain from those that do not.

Struck a chord in our hearts. What think ye?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I do not understand your use of the word "shaman".

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Is this BIBLICALLY correct? If I'm not mistaken, the church is for the BODY OF BELIEVERS not for the unsaved. If the pastor is preaching the word, the unsaved can for sure come and hear the Gospel. But the church was BIBLICALLY intended to be the place for the edifying of the Saints to GO!, not for the Saints to invite.

As well as the worship(singing and preaching) service.

I don't particularly care if it's unBaptistic. Is it BIBLICAL?

Huh?

Too much Baptistic not enough following of Christ.

What think ye of what? Confusing post. :laugh:

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh? Not getting it.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was born and raised in the Bible belt. They do not use words like shamen to refer to pastors. They do believe that worship is to be set aside on Sundays as was practiced in the first century to worship God. They do believe that we need to bring our worship to God not look fro what we can get from God. They do not believe the purpose of the church service is soley the proclamation of the gospel. They do believe it is about edification and worship of God. And they still believe all of this today.

They do not hold to a liberal mindset of what Baptist ought to be. Period. So really, I doubt your claim.

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I going to assume you mean "church" as in the gathering of the church on Sunday morning. This, IMO, is one of the biggest problems in churches in this country, whether Baptist, evangellyfish or whatever. The weekly preaching of the Word is for the edifying of the saints and to aid the believer in growing closer to their God. I'm not sure how you conclude the opposite.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pertains to those churches that practice snake handling? ;)

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I invited a person to visit church and afterwards asked how he liked the service. He told he didn't "get much out of it". ...understandable. Then I provided that one should not attend church to "get" but rather, to give. To give the Lord our praises, adoration, thanksgiving, worship, etc. Through the Holy Spirit the rest will take care of itself.

...even in the Bible Belt so many churches have strayed.

I've spent much time listening to radio preachers and noticed that after a while they all run together and if you're not careful, confusion sets in as they all have little differences of opinion regarding scripture. Best thing to do is tune in everyday for your favorite radio pastor and be done with it.

#8 HAMel, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But many do conclude the opposite.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "shaman" - I automatically saw it as a synonym for "charlatan".

HankD

11. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm not certain what the OP meant by the term "shaman" either.

Webster's dictionary defines "shaman" as: "a priest or medicine man, esp. among N Asian peoples, who is believed able to heal and foretell the future through communication with good and evil spirits."

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a derogatory term used to slight pastors. He doesn't really like them.