1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Still tithing?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ivon Denosovich, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

There are numerous passages in the NT about meeting the needs of the brethren, communicating gifts and funds, supporting preachers and other churches, etc.

For someone to attend a church and leach off what the other members willingly sacrifice in order to keep the local church operating, is appalling. BUT, there are plenty of scum in our churches this day who only know how to leach. There are those that leach in regards to the $$, those that leach in regards to the work, those that leach in regards to Biblical study, those that leach in regards to prayer, etc. ; always willing to get a blessing and a crown, seldom willing to bear the burden or the cross.

#21 Bro. Williams, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  2. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, if I was to quit tithing and instead put that money towards my debt, I could be debt free in no time.

However, I want to tithe and God and His work should be everyone's #1 priority. Anyway, 100% of everything belongs to God.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Mar 10:19Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Jhn 14:26But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

If the Commandments had no meaning after the cross, I wonder why the Holy Ghost is going to bring them to our remembrance??

Does that mean that all that Jesus said was under the Law and therefore has no meaning to us. What about His death, it no doubt was under the Law also?

4. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

:tonofbricks: :tonofbricks: I do not understand what you a saying. Do you mean that we are not required to tithe? That makes no sense.
    Faithgirl

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, faithgirl46. I wish there was a smilie of something with a roof so I can stop those bricks from burying you.

It means we are not required to tithe.

Tithing is an old testament practice, intended for the Jews, who lived in an agricultural context (so you also have the firstfruits offering).

In the New Testament where grace, and not the law, rules, we give "according as God hath prospered us", and we give as "cheerful givers". which if applied properly, means we give more than a tenth of whatever we earned, not out of a feeling of obligation, but because we love the Lord, His vineyard, and His laborers.

6. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

He was of course speaking to whom? Men under the Mosaic Covenant and requirements.

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the original post - yes, absolutely!

I've often heard this reasoning from people who just didn't want to give and used it as their excuse. God will never honor disobedience.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you wish to be disobedient to the command to "owe no man anything"?

9. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Bro. Williams, in principle I agree with you. Thanks for the compelling insight.

Unfotunately, no, I don't currently have one. I just moved to a new area and I'm "trying out" a couple.

Yes. And no. :) Actually, I decide based on a compilation of things: disposable income present, feelings, urgency of need, etc. In other words, it's like when I discriminate against which missionaries to support. (Since I'm assuming ALL of us have to do this.) How do you pick who gets help and who doesn't? While I would like to pretend the process is as scientific as, say, an equation, it just isn't. My finite resources demand that I do discriminate at some point and I pretty much strike up a compromise between all factors at hand. Again, not nearly as cut-and-dry as tithing, I know. But for me (at least) it's a more human way of giving. Operative phrase being, "for me."

I respect where you're coming from here. I admire your heart to keep God's things just that. But I equate (and I think with ample more Scriptural evidence) that paying one's bills is one of the most spiritual means of spending money. So it isn't like I believe God expects me to choose between doing right vs. doing right. :) Again, I admire your love for God. It's warming.

I think it is possible to displease God with our giving. And with our prayer life. But I don't think prayer should be viewed as a timed quota. I also think I can disappoint God with my Bible reading but I'm still not comfortable making that a rigidly structured process either. Pardon the redundant, sappy phraseology but it's a relationship thang.

<bolding mine> I don't feel tithing is mandatory. But, no, I would not balk at mandatory dues if I knowingly incurred them.

I haven't interpreted anything you said as antagonistic. I see someone who sincerely loves the Lord and sincerely disagrees. No need for the disclaimer and by all means keep the dialogue coming!

Thank you.

10. Ivon Denosovich

Good point about this being an excuse for some. I agree. But isn't that always the risk we run with grace?

#30 Ivon Denosovich, Sep 11, 2007
  11. Ivon Denosovich

Both. Since disobeying a ceremonial law is tantamount to being in sin. *I see no way of separating obedience from morality* But the moral law, being timeless, was fully canonized into NT "law."

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks for your answers. They are reasoned and given in a good spirit.

13. Ivon Denosovich

Tom Butler, since I'm assuming you do believe in tithing, what do you feel about the promise of God's blessing/curse?

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ivon, I take it you mean that if you tithe, God will bless you, and if not, he won't.

Well, Malachi made that connection. My own thought is that God is always pleased with obedience, and displeased with disobedience. The entire company of OT prophets preached the same thing to Israel and Judah: repent of your rebellion and God will bless, otherwise he will punish.

In other places, God promises blessings unilaterally to his children.

Now I do know people who say they are going to tithe not only because they should, but believe that if they with-hold it, God will take it from them in a way they really won't like. There is a part of me that thinks that, too.

And in my life I have received manifold blessings from God. Because I tithe? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it's just God being merciful to one who manages to displease God fairly regularly.

I've been a little wishy-washy in answering your question because I want to avoid the tithing cliches.

#34 Tom Butler, Sep 11, 2007
  15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's absurd. Do you really not know of any Christian who failed to tithe for months, years, decades? How did God squeeze it out of them against their will? And do you know of Christians who did faithfully tithe and met with as many or more problems in finances, health and safety as the ones who didn't?

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Why in the bright light of the NT can't we find a direct command to tithe?

2. Why are the book of Acts and the epistles so silent on the matter?

3. And the only mention of Tithing is in Hebrews, but within a historical setting to make a point about the superiority of Jesus' high priesthood. Why?

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I know. But you will not convince them that it's absurd. They will cite instances where they didn't tithe faithfully, and they had unexpected medical bills, unexpected repair bills, that sort of thing. They never got to spend that money as they planned. On the ther hand, many tithers will testify that their money goes further now than it did when they didn't tithe.

Yet, I dont' know a single tither who will say they tithe in order to claim the promises of great blessings cited in Malachi 3:10.

I know, anecdotal evidence must be evaluated in light of scripture. Actually, that's exactly what they're doing. They're measuring their experience in light of Malachi 3:10 and it seems to fit.

Are there faithful tithers wh have financial and/or health problems? Yep. Are there non-givers who prosper? Yep. Can I explain the apparent inconsistency? Nope.

18. AAA

AAA New Member

This has been the topic of conversation between my wife and I for the past 6-12 months and I have to agree with you on this one point: Tithe is part of the OT, not the NT command for believers today: but I still give 10% of my income out of the LOVE of GOD to support HIS ministry and I still need to do futher study into this matter so that I can be fully convienced in my own heart.

19. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Have we created a false division between what is God's money, and what is our money, or between what is God's work, and what is not God's work?

As someone wrote earlier, 100% of what we have is His already, so how can we say we are going to carve off 10% and give that to God?

It seems to me that everything we spend money on, as Christians, is related to God. If we go to a movie, that is His money we're using, or when we buy groceries, that is His money.

Somehow we think spending God's money to pay for a church building that we sit in, or for utilities to make us comfortable, or for a minister to study for us, is more Godly than spending His money to buy groceries.

It's all His, just as we are all His, whether we're in church or in the movie theatre or the grocery store.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I found the following from John Macarthur: