1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stoning as a form of punishment.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 11, 2010.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched The Stoning of Soraya M in Netflix the other day.
    It was at the very least a depressing movie, to see someone killed that way.
    I think, next to crucifixion, it was a humiliating way to die.
    That's just me.

But, anyway, as is usual, the Christian bashers were quick to point out that both the Muslims and the Christians practiced stoning.
    By the latter statement, of course, they were referring to Old Testament laws where the said penalty is imposed on such violations of the Law as adultery, homosexuality, incest, and the like.

Of course, this is an inaccurate statement with regards to New Testament Christianity because even though Stephen was stoned to death, it was not under the "auspices" of the first New Testament church, but rather it was implemented by the practitioners of the Jewish religion.

I pointed out to these "learned and wise men" that true Christianity is all about grace and that while many among Christendom and those who call themselves "fundamentals" agree with the death penalty, this agreement is more along the line of submitting to Scripture which says that followers of Jesus Christ ought to respect authority and that if the law of the land calls for the death penalty for certain offenses (the penalty carried out in whatever mode, including stoning) then the Christian should do his best not to commit civil offenses which would cause him to come under such penalty and that Scripture does not obligate the Christian citizen to demand for a repeal of such laws, neither does it obligate the Christian citizen to demand for the imposition of death on anyone.

That movie, I thought, at first, also shows the "great respect and reverence" of Muslims to their Allah in that while they will not allow their prophet Mohammed to be spoken of in derogatory tones, even sketched in like manner, they have no hesitance to show how lightly they think of their allah's laws because Soraya M was set up for the death penalty by her own husband who had cast a "wistful" eye on a 14 year old girl whose father was under his care as a jailor and who promised him her daughter IF he could get him off the death penalty and since he cannot afford more than one wife, nor the expenses of divorce before and after, he decided to get rid of his 40-some year old wife by setting her up as having an adulterous relationship with the town mechanic.

But then, it reminded me also of how the Jews abused Moses' allowing divorce by using every pretext and reason to divorce their wives, not much respect for Jehovah and His prophet, either, eh ?