1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured StopBaptistPredators.org -- are these scandals real?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I can agree with everyone who says that even one instance of this type of thing is too many. I also agree that if an accusation is made, it must be treated seriously and cautiously.

I wouldn't allow my kids to be around an adult that was accused of this type of thing, even with other adults present, unless I was there. And I will admit that even if they were found innocent, I probably still wouldn't allow my kids around them. But that is a downfall on my part on the side of caution. If they are innocent, then they are innocent.

With that being said, listing people on a website is to assume that they are guilty. This is slander. I am pretty sure that even keeping an online database of the guilty is cause for a lawsuit.

It is unchristianlike to spread accusations around when the person is found innocent. Now, if someone calls for a character reference, I still believe it needs to be brought up. But in a loving, not accusational, way. "Why, Brother so-and-so has been a great asset to the ministry. You need to know that there was an accusation against him back in <insert date> of <insert crime>, but he was found innocent, and we haven't had any more accusations brought against him."

Now, I will go on to say this, that even if someone is found innocent, if there are multiple accusations against him, I think the pastor should act in some way, such as remove him from working with children even under supervision or something along those lines. Even if he is innocent, the pastor is responsible for the spiritual well-being of the entire church. And it would definitely be a divisor if that person were left in that position. And if that person doesn't understand that, then better to offend one person rather than many.