1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stories of encounters with God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Born_in_Crewe, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I thought I'd start a thread about times when God has shown himself and his power. So on this thread feel free to add any stories, whether its healing, being given knowledge about someone, visions, dreams, prophecy which came true or even personal visitations. You can use any story whether its your own, someone else's or even from a book (providing you don't infringe copyright).

I'll add some of my own later. :thumbs:

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok - after thinking about it -- here is a story I found about a month ago. I have deleted the details for viewing in this forum.

====================================================
    FROM CANDACE – November 2007

[Note: This is an edited version of an amazing testimony from a former prostitute who is now a follower of Jesus Christ.]

Greetings to Everyone:
    On June 20 I was working in the evening. I was a prostitute. I had been working the streets since I was 16. The reason I started at that age is not as important as where I am now. I was a heavy drug user. Mostly crack. I drank a lot. I still am battling with cigarettes. This is the really hard part that I have shared with many of my friends who are no longer my friends but some have accepted what I have shared with them to be truth. I do not share this for you to look at me but to look at Jesus, as He is the one who forgave me in the life I was walking and now walk in a new way.

I was on my corner when a man in a convertible said he would like to speak with me. I said, “Sure.” I climbed in and we began driving. He looked over at me and called me Candace. I was shocked and thought the worst. He then said, “Do not be afraid.” He began to explain to me that he had been sent to give me a message and that message was from Jesus Christ. He told me that Jesus is coming and that He wants me to get ready to go to heaven. I was very scared and told the man that I did not want to die. The man said, “Do not be afraid because no harm will come to you.”

The man pulled into a shopping center parking lot and stopped. He told me that there is a man that is receiving messages from Jesus and that this very night Jesus would show him the importance of the cross that He died on. This man told me the man’s name is <name deleted>, that he has been receiving dreams from Jesus and that the dreams can be read on a web site. He told me the web site and I wrote it down. Then the man told me to find a TV show called <name deleted - speaker deleted> and another TV show called <name deleted -- speaker deleted> and that these men will teach me what I need to know. I wrote down these TV shows and their names. Then the man said that these three men have been selected by Jesus to do an important work together for Him, that I was to change the way I live and that Jesus is coming to take me to heaven. The man said to keep watching for Jesus, that there is much to learn and this is a good place to start.

The man then got out of the car and walked around to my door and opened it so I could get out. He pointed toward the buildings and said that there was a meeting going on in there and they would help me with my questions. He said he was to leave but for me to walk in the new way in which I was shown. As I looked at the man, he had the way that he looked change right before me and I fell to my knees and began crying. I watched as I saw this man change into a bright being of light. I watched as he had wings that somehow came out from behind him and he flew up and away.

After a few minutes I got up and noticed there was no car there. I started walking to the place in the shopping center where there was a religious meeting going on. I went in, sat down and tried to listen but I was numb and shaking from what had just happened. After the meeting ended I spoke to several of the people there and they made me feel welcome. They gave me a Bible and a book called <title deleteed>. I was too afraid to tell them what had happened earlier that evening and that they would laugh or think I was a crazy person and have me taken away by the police.

After I visited and asked questions for a while I returned home, took a shower, and spent time looking up and talking to God as if He was up in the ceiling. I shared what had happened and told Him that I was no longer going to live the way I had. I promised Him that I was going to change. I have, except for the cigarette problem, which I am trying to give up.

I went to bed and when I woke up the next morning I kneeled next to my bed. It was the first time in a long while since I kneeled, but I actually talked to God and I felt like He was listening to me. I got up, went over to my computer and went to the <name deleted> web site that the man, or whatever he was, told me about. I began reading the dreams of a man by the name of <deleted>. I was glued to the computer while reading the messages and was getting wrapped up in them. I would cry and then I would be happy. I would read and reread them because I was afraid I might have missed something. Then a few days later when the dream of the cross was posted (“Stand on the Truth”), I cried while praying. This is the dream that the man was telling me <name deleted> would be shown that night. I have learned so much from what I have read on this web site. I read later how I am supposed to go to church <instructions deleted>. I continued to read these messages and started watching the <deleted TV evangelism program> show with Pastor <deleted> and Pastor <Deleted> of <deleted evangelistic program reference>.

Anyway, I just wanted to share here how <deleted> and the messages he has been putting on the web site has greatly affected me. I know without a doubt that these are messages from God sent to read and grow in. It has been several months for me now and I have a new way of life, a full time job and I am drug and alcohol free. I have a full time relationship with Jesus. I know if it had not been for the man or who ever it was, I would never be typing this right now. I have no doubt that Jesus is coming, that He is talking to <deleted name> and that what he is being shown is what Jesus wants him to share. All I can say is thank you Pastor <deleted> for posting these messages. I especially thank Jesus for giving these to Ernie, for loving and forgiving me, for making me what I am now and for hearing and answering every one of my prayers. I want to go and see for myself the things Ernie has seen in the dreams. As Pastor <deleted> says, keep watching for that small black cloud!

[Follow-up testimony from Candace - November 21, 2007]

I did want to tell you that the angel has come to me again and told me that Jesus has heard the prayers of many that have read what I shared [in my last testimony] and that many lives would be changed and brought closer to Jesus. He said that there are many others who are still walking in the same way I used to and that they will also be invited to walk in a new way. I said, “Praise Jesus,” to the angel and he said that Jesus has removed my want to smoke anymore. I have had that craving removed and I no longer smoke. It is the most wonderful thing to no longer want to pick up a cigarette and smoke. When the angel came to visit me this last time he said he had a very special present for me, that it will help me to get ready for Jesus to come and that it will teach me how I need to change. He gave me a book called <deleted> and I have been reading it. Actually I have not been able to put it down. I have read it four times now.

You know there is so much more I need to change in the way I was living. All the jewelry, the meat, all my makeup--I tell you, I don’t care. It all went in the garbage. If I am going to be someone Jesus wants me to be then it all had to go in the trash. I mean, I am not going to be wearing it when I go to heaven. The angel told me that soon really bad things will begin to happen and that I am not to be afraid. He said, “Do you remember I told you that no harm will come to you?” He said that Jesus will not allow any harm to come to me, that Jesus has placed special angels to protect me.

I moved from where I used to live to another state as I did not want people to know or recognize me from my old life. I have started a whole new life with a job and found a church where I have been accepted as a new member and was baptized. I should tell you, that was the best day of my life when I was baptized. It was a new day and a new life for me as no one knew about my past and I felt like Jesus said it was no more and that I have a new life.

I did want to share how what Jesus has shown you has changed my life and that there are many, many others out there who believe and are being led by Jesus to hear Him speaking to you. I am not one to give encouragement, but I know it must be hard for you to read some of the stuff folk write about you. But just remember that it is all to the glory of Jesus. I know I want to sit and be in the back where no one will look at me but just look to Jesus. But I know that when I get to heaven I want to have my angel take me to you so I can give you a big hug and tell you thank you for putting what Jesus showed you on the Internet. The angel did say that you will soon be reaching many people as there are important people who will have you speaking and sharing what Jesus has shown you. I hope you don’t mind, but I like telling people that I am sitting on that hill watching for that small black cloud. Thank you again, Pastor .<deleted>..., for the things you have shared.

Watching for that small black cloud, Your new sister, Candace
    in Christ,

#2 BobRyan, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  3. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

Ok, for BobRyan and anyone interested, here's a few stories I have heard in recent months, which I believe to be true:

* From an ex-criminal speaker:
    - Gave a talk in his old hometown and another former criminal is saved and is then baptised and comes out speaking in tongues.
    - Moved in with a group of Christians and a man came round unhappy that his girlfriend was living with them. That man then went home and started speaking in tongues in the shower.

* From a missionary in East Africa (let's call him JJ):
    - Muslim man was walking through desert when he meets a guy who tells him he is Jesus. Muslim man goes back to village and asks JJ to tell him more about Jesus and is converted.
    - Another man is converted through a series of dreams
    - Another man causes problems for JJ and family, but they keep giving him gifts and he ends up being saved. Then opens his own church and two people are healed from AIDS (verified by doctors)

* From a guest speaker at church:
    - Muslim village of approx 500 has the same dream on the same night, in which Jesus appears, and they become Christians.

* From another speaker:
    - Had out-of-body experience and was told by God he was in the wrong place, gave his life to God
    - Fell off motorbike and broke his arm, but the arm was back to normal in 5 weeks (medically almost impossible).

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read of many experiences similar to these from SB missionaries years ago from their "mission " magazine once published. Don't remember the name off hand

I'm totally convinced that we could see these same miracles in our country IF we had to depend on Him as these folk do.

Unfortunately, we have the advantage(?) of better living conditions, superior health care, too much free time, an overabundance of food, unlimited money by comparison to these folk, and way, way too much trust in all of the preceding to truly rely on Him as these 3rd world Christians do.

We have lost our focus, and it is now showing in all aspects of our society.

5. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

That's a good point - although some of the things I posted happened in the UK which is also a secularised Western country. But it is amazing to hear about some of the things that happen in Africa and parts of Asia, often in countries where Christians are persecuted the most.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am always facinated when I hear about Angels directing non-Christians to accept Christ and be saved.

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian