1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Straight lick with a crooked stick

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

On another thread there was some discussion about something the Bible said or did not say, and it caused me to remember something.

Years ago one of the fundamentalist preachers I was raised under said something from the pulpit that was incorrect. It does not matter what. He was making a point and claiming Biblical authority when there was none. What he said was not bad, it was good, but he claimed the support of a specific verse when there was no support there.

Being an eager student of God’s word I immediately looked up his reference and discovered the Biblical authority he claimed was not there.

Very concerned I met with him privately later and explained my problem. At first he thought perhaps I had looked up the wrong verse, or that he had given the wrong reference. Rather than study any deeper in the scripture he simply restated to me the point he was trying to make (which like I said was good).

He said something along the lines of, “Hey I am not perfect and I may have gotten the verse wrong, but my point is still valid.” He then added, “You know, God can hit a straight lick with a crooked stick, and even if I am wrong sometimes God can still use it to make a point.”

Has anyone else ever heard that, “Straight lick with a crooked stick” line?

The idea that God can use us in our imperfection is true and wonderful. But when we teach something incorrectly or when we try to give Biblical authority to a point that is not in fact scriptural that is not being truthful to our congregations. When we say, "The Bible says . . ." and it doesn’t, we are setting our audience up for failure.

Once they have time to study, and once they discover that they have been misled and what we have taught is in fact error they will doubt everything we have ever taught. We run the risk of destroying their faith.

I praise God that He can and does use us in our imperfection. But I will never accept the teaching of a lie to justify the desired change in behavior. That is nothing more than using the end to justify the means and in the end both are destroyed.

I find examples of this throughout fundamental circles in areas from eternal security to modern technology and believe we should stand against it.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So very true. God can certainly use our imperfections but if what we teach saying "thus sayeth the Lord" and yet it's what He did not say, then we mock Him and make ourselves of no use. Worse yet, as you said, we can actually cause others to stumble. We must be extremely careful that we are teaching the truth and take the extra time to be sure of it. If we do teach an error by mistake, and are called on it, we must do what is right and admit our mistake, ask forgiveness and be sure that it does not happen again to the best of our ability.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks Ann, yes you know preaching or teaching the Words of God is a big responsiblity.

FYI, I did a google search and found the “Straight lick with a crooked stick” quotation listed as a southern proverb in several places. The oldest use I could find was in the work of Zora Neale Hurston in a 1934 novel (Jonah’s Gourd Vine) and in her 1942 autobiography (Dust Tracks on a Road). In both cases Hurston, (who was a black woman) used the proverb, which she did not take credit for inventing, to describe her education at time when the education of Blacks in American and the education of Female Americans was far from where it is today.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, certainly God can hit a straight lick with a crooked stick. God can use anything he pleases to His glory. I would have a serious problem with anyone, however, if they knowingly spread a false statement claiming that it came from the Bible. As you said, it can certainly hurt other people's faith when they come to realize that the statement is indeed false.

If someone makes a statement that is false, honestly believing it to be true, they should at the least stop making that statement once they learn it is false. Ideally they should make things right with those they have said the statement to.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There are too many people misquoting scripture and taking scripture out of context and trying to make it mean something it doesn't. I suppose if something good comes out of it, the incorrect usage of it can be overlooked. However, too often it's used wrong for the purpose of deceiving unknowing people.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think that is exactly what is meant by "taking the name of the Lord in vain." Using His name and authority flippantly or lightly.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ay-man!:thumbsup:

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is probably a good chance those preachers preach what they have heard rather than studying the text for themselves. Plagiarism works until someone catches it.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Do not contemne thy weak brother.
    God can raise his thoughts, or direct his follie to a happie end, he can make him an Instrument of glorie, who is now a subject of weaknesse, and can strike a streight stroake with a crooked stick."
    ---Edward Corbet in a sermon to the House of Commons 1642

"God, as one observes, can strike a strait Blow with a crooked Stick; 'tis not for the worthiness of the Instruments, that he doth work, but for his own Glory."
    ---Baptist pastor Benjamin Keach, 1695.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wow, thanks for the quotation Jerome, 1642, thats great.

I know it is the History geek in me coming out but I find the fact that a phrase spoken in the House of Commons in 1642 finds its way (albeit reworded a little so it rhymes better) into southern African-American literature in 1934 really cool.