1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Strange Fire Conference

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Nov 8, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Let's keep things in proper perspective here. Neither Stephen Lawson, Conrad Mbewe, RC Sproul, Todd Friel nor John MacArthur &c are speaking against the Biblical use of the gift of known languages (what we call tongues) to reach others with the Gospel. They are speaking against manifestations of another kind altogether. The videos used during the conference and the actual statements of the speakers show this proper perspective.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Are you poking at windmills again? To my knowledge Andy does not address the charismatic movement. He is focused on WHY he created this church and its model. "Lamblast" Andy all you want, "I" think it only sheds light on your "spiritual immaturity" in such regard. Andy is just like any other pastor, including Dr. McArthur, flawed and human.....(the same as you and I)

You should spend less time doing all you can to tear down, and rather thank God that HE makes use of different people and different methods to reach people with His message. I am thankful that you have a calling to share the message in the ways that you do, and I "hope" with anticipation that message and method touches some folks.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously I think this. Mac is not the only person I listen or read. I also read from other authors and realize that God uses different people.

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can we at least agree that so-called preachers who claim having visions of heaven, ramble on in gibberish and teach the prosperity gospel are wrong? Forget about Mac, and Sproul..... isn't there a baseline agreement in here that the types mentioned above are false teachers who lead people to perdition?

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly. Some have turned this into a tongues issue while and then denigrating Mac and others with their straw man argument, then turn a blinded eye to what the conference was really addressing -- the false and sinister manifestations, lying prophecies, fake healings, fleecing the sheep and more.

6. quantumfaith

Someone, in another thread used Ezekiel 13 to offer criticism of the "roman road" strategem for sharing the gospel message. It is precisely here, what you mention that I think is much more appropriate to be applied to.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

Just when I thought this thread was dead ...

8. quantumfaith

[​IMG]
    its a miracle

9. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Yeah. I just want to make sure we don't miss the main point: the damage such false teachers and teachings do to people. Binny Hinn and Paula White and Joel Osteen gotta go! And it amazes me how people mindlessly follow these 'teachers' and refuse to follow the Berean example.

Case in point:
    A dear friend of mine has an aunt & uncle that are dyed-in-wool charismatic/word of faith adherents. Well....Uncle was just diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. It has shaken his faith b/c word-of-faith basically teaches that his illness is because of HIS lack of faith. I hope this crisis drives him to little 'o' orthodox Christianity where we DON'T demand things of God and where we DON'T see God as our celestial cash dispenser, and illness is because of our Adamic nature and NOT because our 'faith isn't strong enough'. Time will tell...please pray for this man.

So whether we like Big Mac or not, his conference is brave in that it addresses this issue of the damage that the charismatic folks do to Christianity. I'd rather watch people argue c vs a than listen to a Jentezen Franklin sermon...listened to one the other day and it made me wanna rage-vomit.

10. quantumfaith

I agree with you on much. I too have many friends who are baptist, yet follow some of these "charlatan" types. I would not however broad brush all charismatics in such a category. I think these "charlatan" types gain an understanding of human psychology and understand that there is simply a percentage of the population attracted to these trappings of chrsitianity.

No, I am not, nor will I be a follower of "Big Mac"......unless we are talking about the one under the golden arches.

11. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

John MacArthur is available in as many places