1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger accused of slapping crying child in store

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by webdog, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Aaron, your opinions thus far expressed are odious and despicable. Did you not read Annsni's post at the top of the previous page? There are any number of reasons other than bad behaviour and lack of discipline as to why 2-year olds play up, many of which she has highlighted but the most obvious one being: they're 2-year olds. That's what they do from time to time. There's no rhyme or reason to it, no amount of spanking can snap them out of it (if anything, that makes them worse; trust me, I've tried with mine when they were that age!), you just have to let it blow itself out when they have a tantrum. If that stresses and annoys other people around, too bad; it's usually nothing compared to the stress and annoyance felt by the parent who's struggling to do the weekly groceries.

And, yes, my wife wouldn't hurt and fly either...a man committing an act of violence on her children however is another matter...

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, at least you didn't say I was blaming the kid.:thumbs:

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so?
    Yes.
    Yes, and I responded to that. C'mon folks, get real. Nine times out of ten you see a kid acting up in a store it's because the kid is a spoiled brat. (That's not to blame the kid, it's to blame the parents.) I have a 90% chance of being right when assuming that's the case in this incident, and that's what's really goading the folks on this board with liberal child-rearing philosophies.
    Why should I trust you when I've seen otherwise from many good, godly parents?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Aaron, there's probably a dozen people, if not more, who have been critical of your views on this thread....who believe and utilize corporal punishment.

The fact that in over forty posts, not one person has agreed with your stance ought to tell you something.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Aaron, you just don't engage, do you? Two-year olds more often than not don't have the awareness of right and wrong that older children have, so I would say that there's a 90% chance that you're talking garbage. And, yes, I use corporal punishment.

Oh, and you asked why your posts were odious and despicable - because you advocated the mother giving the child a beating in your first post, for starters. And don't pretend you didn't - you and we all know what you meant so please don't insult our intelligences by trying to backtrack on that one. Where I come from, people who do that to infants are odious and despicable. If you think that sort of thing is a good idea, then frankly that puts you beyond the pale.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Objecting to a stranger slapping your child is "liberal?"

What a profoundly bizarre definition.

I guess, in a sense, if this cretin slapped my kid...it is likely there would be an assault on the right wing by the left wing.

I'm a lefty...most people are righties...

I'd use my "left wing" to break off his "right wing" and beat him with it.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now here's the mentality that prevails in the 40+ posts, from very few contributors. It's a mentality that is not true the facts of the things I've said, but true only to their own illusions.

Let's not forget that the numbskull mother did not intervene when the guy began slapping her kid. That was left up to a stranger. And let's not forget that more than once I contrasted that with the behavior I asserted that my wife would have exhibited in the same situation (except our kids never threw tantrums in public).

And this contrasts with what my own reaction would be how?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not know that. Hey RS I am coming to join ya! Hold on be right there!

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Aaron...there are lots of gaps in this story.

I don't think I've seen anyone claiming this lady is a good mother. We don't have enough info to know.

We don't have enough info to know how quickly she reacted when her child was slapped...or why it was a stranger who intervened. Hey...it could have been that a stranger was the next person in line, was closer, and was "quicker to the draw." We don't know.

That's the whole point...you don't have enough info to draw the conlcusions you're drawing...yet you do so, and then defend them no matter what.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To many parents are willing to take their kids in public when they cannot control their crying or are not willing to. And while there have been times when I felt the similar frustration this fella did you never assault a child.

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

And too many parents don't have a choice. Your post is likewise shot through with assumptions:

1. That the mother cound have chosen another time to do the weekly shop. Most parents don't, realistically. My wife, for example, doesn't.

2. That the child was kicking off before she set out to the store. Again, that's unlikely - more likely the child was fine until they got there and started kicking off when they were there.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blaming the mother for the assault.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you are responding to me then there were no assumptions made. We have four children I am very aware of the difficulties. This seems to be a personal issue for you. Regardless you do not go through the public with screaming children.

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Sure you do. Many parents do not have a choice for the reasons I've already outlined.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not the point. The point is this:

I suggest the likely scenario. I'm told that I:

1) Justified the assualt
    2) Am defending the creep
    3) Abuse my own kids
    4) Am hateful and odious for even suggesting what everyone knows is the scenario nine out of ten times.

But there is no way anyone can come to these conclusions based on anything I said. There must be, in those who've accused me, a predisposition to think that if it were the likely scenario (undisciplined child of undisciplined mother throwing unhindered tantrum in public place), then it would almost justify the offense of the assault. Or at the very least make it a less heinous crime. (I believe I was the first in the thread to use the term "assault.")

But that's just in your minds. Not in mine. In my mind if starving man steals bread, he goes to jail for theft, but I would still highlight the culpability of those who have starved him.

That's all I did in this thread, was point out the culpability of what in all likelihood is a numbskull mother who doesn't discipline her child.

Let the feeding frenzy continue. I'm outta here.:type:

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it real interesting that the people so adamantly condemning Aaron for his "assumptions", seem to have no reservations about freely making their own assumptions about him; both his meanings AND his parental actions.

Can one say "speck - log"?:BangHead:

Whether or not you agree with him has no bearing on the hypocrisy so blatantly exhibited here!!!!

Some good points brought out, but they seem to get buried in all the extraneous palaver being generated.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Let's make this scenerio:

Mom's an idiot. She lets the kid get away with murder. Kid knows that, if she throws a big enough temper tantrum, mom will give in. Mom made sure that the kid didn't get her nap so she'd be at her crankiest and gave her lots of sugar so she'd be wired. She then goes to the store. Kid starts screaming because she doesn't want to be in the seat and she wants a cookie but mom ignores her cries. Child starts screaming and kicking throwing the biggest temper tantrum the world has ever seen.

It still doesn't make it OK for a total stranger to strike a child across the face.

Period.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Agreed 100%

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But...but...but...

If the mother had not gone to the store, she would have prevented the assault.

If she hadn't taken the child with her, she would have prevented the assault.

If she had gotten an abortion instead of having the child, she would have prevented the assault.

After all, it's all the mother's fault. According to Aaron:

The mother provoked that poor guy beyond his ability to resist smacking the kid. It's not his fault.

20. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

This story should have ended here once these words were uttered: "Shut that kid up or I'll shut it up for you."
    "Touch my child and it will be the last thing you ever do. Choose wisely."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.