1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strangers in God's House

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Murph, Paul was under house arrest. What does this passage have to do with inviting lost people into the congregation?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

"The foolishness of preaching". Could you explain why you think preaching is foolishness please?

:confused:
    Sue

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

In 1 Cor. 1, Paul said that preaching is foolishness.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The verses in context.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
    1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
    1 Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
    1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

5. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wanted to agree with Gina and add a point.

If you are too shy to witness to someone about Jesus Christ, you have a fear that is not of God.

2Tm:1:7: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

We have no excuse to not witness about Jesus Christ publicly. Is our fear of the world greater than our fear of God?

My $.02 worth.

Jason

6. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

My friend what part of the verse do you not understand. Some were lost, Paul on a set time did Preach the word to them. They came into his house. Even today we have many house churches and I can gurantee you that there are some pastors in prison in other countries who if they had the opportunity to be under house arrest so that the church could enter and hear his messages they would gladly do so. I think your demand was for someone to show scriptural evidence that the lost were brought into the church, I feel I have done so.
    Murph

7. 2peter1_10

2peter1_10 New Member

Matthew 28:19 says, "teach all nations." It does not say witness, soul win, or even compel. Even though we are to do all of that. Most people do not accept Christ upon the first hearing of the gospel.

My main point in bringing that out is that the lost needs to be where you are teaching. This could be in the assembly of the church. It could be house to house. It could be on the street corner. Though not every place is appropriate (a strip club is never a place to be). We should "preach the gospel to every creature."

It is also important to remember that the objective is not to get them in church. It is to get them to repent and believe. Many Christians do substitute the one for the other. That is damnable and is damning people to hell.

If you cannot compel them to accept Christ compel them to accept a seat. Maybe someone else can reach them with the gospel and it does not have to be the preacher.