1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured strapless dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I recall a sermon we spoke about earlier this year in which the pastor said "PURITY OF MOTIVE DOES NOT CANCEL THE CONSEQUENCES".

Any man that lusts after after a woman will answer to God for his mental adultery. But the women will answer to God if they have provoked it by the manner in which they are dressed.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this. Deut.22:5

3. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I'm not wearing one.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since that is OT law, are we bound by that under Grace?

5. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree that it's important not to dress in such as to gain the sexual attention of the opposite sex, we've given the word "modesty" a somewhat out-of-context meaning.
    If you pay attention to the entire verse of 1 Timothy 2:9, it's not referring to dressing in a revealing manner. (Not that I'm saying revealing clothing is okay. That's not what I'm saying.) It's referring to dressing in ways that show off your wealth.
    I imagine in Timothy's church there were a mix of rich and poor people, and rich people dressing that way in order to wear their wealth like a badge of honor wouldn't have been very Christ-like.

Sobriety definitions:
    -The quality or state of being sober.
    -The quality or state of not being intoxicated.
    -The quality or state of being grave or earnestly thoughtful.
    -The state or quality of being unhurried; a state of calm.
    -A state of moderation or seriousness.
    -A state of modest in color or style.
    -Soundness of judgement.
    source: wiktionary

#45 evenifigoalone, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't look good in them!

..... honestly, I get disgusted when watching TV and a guest host or guest star comes out with necklines that lunge so deep, you'd need a moral diving bell to reach the bottom. Or tops that need no imagination of any kind, with tape holding things from falling out.

But, I am also disgusted with the tattoos that women are showing.

I guess I'm getting older, because nothing the young people do today seem morally good for the world who sees them!

Great question, I hope you get your answers!

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a HUGE difference between

mens clothing and womens clothing back then. Unfortunately we live in a society that has moved to middle with clothing, calling it uni-sex!

BTW - I agree with Rev. :thumbsup: And I am reaching out and giving him a cyber slap on the back! :laugh:

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but hairy armpits and strapless dresses don't mix well.:laugh:

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It'll take all day to get rid of that mental image. Thanks a lot. :laugh:

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of MASH and that guy who was always pretending to be a woman so he could get out of the military for being crazy. (apology for the thread drift)

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago one of our local churches began a women's volley ball team. The only restriction was that all the women had to wear dresses. The team never materialized.

Strapless gowns...? I don't see anything wrong with them if worn in the right setting and for the right reason and adequately cover the necessary parts. All you're seeing is from the shoulders up so what's the problem? Is seeing a female shoulder a sin? In real time I hardly think so.

rd2, you mentioned Tattoo's. I agree. Very much an abuse. To me, women come with a built in beauty. Tattoo's, while thought by many to enhance only take away. Like too much garlic in the spaghetti sauce. A tattoo is but an extension of another's art work. What a bummer.

Silly females with tattoo's galore need to seek out some of the older women in such places as Wal-Mart to see how they will look in a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a45z_HG3WU&feature=kp

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

That percentage only holds regarding my disagreement with Calvinist/Reformed positions.

Or almost anything Paul Washer says. :laugh:

In fact, T-Hill, most of what you say I agree with. We've just been on a diametrically opposed jag recently. :smilewinkgrin:

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

As has been repeated on here, intertwined with God's word are the undergirding principles to timelessly be applied to our lives.

The same principle of Deuteronomy 22:5 is seen in the New Testament. Paul wrote: "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" (1 Cor. 11: 14).

Clear distinction is made between the domestic roles of men and women in Ephesians and Corinthians. Sharp differentiation is also seen between the function of men and women in religious matters. Men are to be the leaders in the public worship of God. Men are to be the elders and preachers among God's people.

We are NOT a society designed of God to be gender neutral. Scripture speaks against effiminacy and homosexuality. GOD has deemed that there be a distinction between male and female. So as that principle has not gone away, neither has the aforementioned commandment. :thumbs:

Men should dress as men and women as women.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But who determines what that should be?

Is it Biblical for men to wear Kilts?

Are you saying women who wear pants are sinning?

In some 3rd world countries, the custom is men to not where shirts - neither do women - are they sinning?

Where is the line drawn and who draws it?

15. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO to a certain extent it is drawn by culture. There's the whole "no appearance of evil" thing. And then there's the fact the what's considered "sexy", by men and women, varies by time (historically) and place (culturally).

We're dealing with a principle dependent upon people's heart and perceptions here. If a culture exists where bearing your shoulders is considered scandalous, then in that culture wearing a strapless dress might not be the best idea, even if no wrong intentions are behind it. In order to avoid the appearance of evil.
    That particular example is not the case in our culture, so far as I'm aware.

There has to be a line somewhere, but where is hard to say.

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cpl. Maxwell Klinger...:laugh:

17. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

...from the Max Klinger summer collection.

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Not a strapless, therefore ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You know what is/is not male or female clothing.

Is it a kilt made for a man or for a woman? If it's MADE for a man, then it's a man's.

Were the pants made for women?

Not clear on this sentence.

You go in a store and it has Men's clothes and Women's clothes. The line has already been drawn. Men wear the clothes made for men and women wear the clothes made for women.

20. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would not want to cause anyone to have lustful thoughts...:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.