1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Street Preaching: Gods primary way of reaching the lost

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Hey if God is impressing upon you to preach in the streets, then by all means do so, but it isn't the only way or the way we all need to do it. Jesus preached from a boat, should you also go buy a bass boat and head out for the open waters. Just sayin...

This is like that David Platt guy who tries to make everyone guilty if they aren't in a foreign country on a mission trip. I love Apologetics but this doesn't mean I should demand everyone else get on board with me.

If I'm missing your point, I apologize.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

It's not difficult to understand at all, it is just wrong.

If I were to say that none of my neighbors ever goes to church, no, not one, would you understand that to mean they are unable to go to church? NO, and no reasonable person would ever assume that, yet that is exactly what you are doing with the scripture in Romans 3. The fact that no one seeks God does not mean they are unable to seek God, you are reading Total Inability into the text when it is not there.

Mat 16:17 certainly does not teach inability, how do you get the doctrine of inability out of this verse? Jesus simply says that the Father had revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Christ. Peter was ABLE to learn from the Father, so if anything, this verse teaches ability, not inability.

Jhn 6:65 does not say no man can come unless God "enables" him as you say.

Jhn 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Jesus said no man can come to Jesus unless it were "given" unto him of my Father. What is he talking about? What was given by the Father? Well, Jesus had just spoken of his words, this is what is given.

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
    64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

It is the word of God that is given to men, but men must believe, listen and learn from God's word before they will ever come to Jesus. This is what Jesus had taught in verse 45;

Jhn 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Every man that has heard and learned from the Father comes to Jesus. Those who refuse to hear and learn will not come to Jesus.

Mat 11:27 is not teaching that Jesus reveals the Father to only some men, read the following verses:

Mat 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
    28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Yes, in verse 27 Jesus says no man knows the Father except those he has revealed the Father to, but who does this apply to? Read the very next verse, Jesus says, Come unto me, ALL YE that labour and are heavy laden. So the offer is to ANYONE. He offers to give everyone rest, and in verse 29 he tells these persons to "learn" from him, and they shall find rest. Jesus is certainly not limiting his offer to only a few persons here, but any man who will come to him. It certainly is not teaching inability.

And Jonah 2:9 certainly does not teach inability, it just states that Salvation is of the LORD. How does that teach inability?

So, your view is not difficult to understand, it is just wrong. None of these scriptures is teaching inability or Limited Atonement, you are reading that into scripture.

When you preach the gospel, it applies to all men. You should be glad to know that. You don't have to hope some "elect" person comes along, any man that hears you can believe if he chooses to do so. And if he listens and hears, he can come to Jesus, it was given to him by the Father through you.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus preached in the open air. I made a mistake in creating this thread as I should have said "Open Air Preaching: One of the most effective ways God uses to reach the Lost."

Also whats your problem with David Platt? I do not recall him indicating in the book Radical that if we are not overseas then we are in disobedience.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right and wrong. It is true that when I preach the call is to everyone, however thats what Erickson would say the "general call" but we know better that only the elect will respond to the call and that is what Erickson would call the "special call" or Wayne Grudem the "Effective call." Refer to this article.

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/effective.html

If you watch this sermon you will see that I spoke like you in 2009. Can you find the quote in my sermon of which you can identify? I speak about FREE WILL at one point in the message. After I preached that a reformed person listened and critiqued it based on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5UHT2t3uYw

However in later days I have come to a better understanding of these doctrines and you can hear that here. There are those as I mention in my sermon that have responded but are not of the elect and so they are false converts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MKoI4-6LNI

#24 evangelist6589, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Is this where you get your theology? From a Reformed website? You need to read the Bible. Show me anywhere where the Bible mentions a general call that goes out to all people, and an effectual call that goes out only to the elect. You can't do it, because the Bible never teaches such a thing anywhere.

I don't need to watch an old sermon, the Bible never teaches that some folks get a general call while others get an effectual call. That is a pure man-made fiction.

No, you've listened to men instead of studying the scriptures and allowed yourself to be led into false doctrine.

Show me from scripture that says there is a general call for some and an effectual call for others.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman,

What you have basically said in the post above is that you know everything and are beyond correction. You did not read the article that I posted which contains lots of scriptures, nor did you listen to the sermons as they also contain lots of scriptures. You are in denial and perhaps fear of opposing views. You could have proven me wrong by refuting what I preached in the sermons but you did not do this which tells me you cannot. Therefore it will be nearly impossible to dialogue with you.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't want to read an article written at Monergism dot com. I want you to personally show me scripture that says there is a general call that goes out to all men. This general call is powerless to regenerate any man. I then want you to show me where the scriptures say there is a powerful effectual call that irresistibly regenerates those men whom God has elected to save.

Show me where the scriptures say this. I know all about this stuff from Reformed teachers, but I want you to show me where this is in the scriptures.

#27 Winman, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

""Also whats your problem with David Platt? I do not recall him indicating in the book Radical that if we are not overseas then we are in disobedience.""

I don't think we agree on the book Radical. IMO he most definitely puts a guilt trip on anyone who doesn't do as he has done.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is pure nonsense, I just went through every scripture you mentioned earlier and showed how not one of them was teaching inability as you claim. See post #22.

I not only can refute you, I did.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not care for him either. In fact I believe he is part of the cause of division in the convention.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to re-read the book. This is what I said of the book.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then prove it. Go through my sermon on true and false converts and do it.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain. There are lots of people you do not care for. About 50% of your posts are an attack on me or someone else. Who do you care about? Who cuts the mustard in your book?

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not open to sound reasoning as nothing can convince you. When I thought as you did I was closed as well and wanted to refute all reformed.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Refute what? I listened to both sermons, you did not prove Total Inability in either sermon. How can I refute nothing?

Are there false believers? Sure, nobody denies that, even Arminians do not deny that. What is there to refute? That has nothing to do with Total Inability.

Neither sermon addressed the general and effectual calls you claim exist.

Now, I have listened to both sermons, and you did not prove Total Inability or a General and Effectual Call in either sermon. You did not even speak about these subjects, so there is nothing for me to refute.

Now you show me where the scripture says God calls people with a powerless general call, but he calls the elect with a powerful irresistible effectual call. Show me anywhere in scripture that says this.

I did what you asked, now you do what I asked.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being able to refute what was said is not dependent on what was said being true or not.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Oops. I sent the wrong sermons. My mistake.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I'm not listening to any more. You should answer my request now, I listened to your sermons, it is not my fault you picked the wrong ones.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I was an Arminian for a long time I take it that I have no sermons or writings on the doctrine that I could find. However I did take a note of one doctrine of Calvinism that I disagree with.

I much rather believe in what Arminians teach called

That said I am a mix between Reformed and a Arminian. Yes this is OT and I have not answered your questions and for good reason because no matter what I say you will not be convinced. But if you do have a open mind I say check out this article.

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/90-276

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

I hate to break this to ya fella, but if you believe in Conditional Election then you are NOT a Calvinist at all! You are a full fledged non-Cal or Arminian!

Believing in Conditional Election is almost blasphemy to a Calvinist.