1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Street Preaching

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Istherenotacause, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Are you for street preaching?

It seems unless there are a number of pedestrians, that preaching on the street is not very productive. It takes a very bold man to go out in the public "forum" and preach the Gospel. Today it seems when a man is on the street corner, he is not doing much more than "yelling" at passing cars.

What are your experiences and your opinions concerning street preaching; pro and con?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think it is as effective anymore as it was in earlier days of my ministry. I did it monthly and saw limited results (we never know how much "watering" was done; God might not have harvested the soul for years).

Last January in Hawaii I would walk along the main blvd in Waikiki (about two miles). There were mimes, drummers, musicians, clowns, hula girls, hustlers and pimps. HUGE crowds (many Japanese) and stopped once at a street preacher. But he was just standing on a box reading the Bible (or actually screaming it) and from some little known prophecy in Isaiah.

Walked back by an hour later and he was still there and had moved on a couple more chapters. No Gospel. No preaching. I felt it was a reproach . . BUT the Word of God is not bound so will let God sort it out.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Preaching, Yes
    Yelling, No
    Witnessing, Yes
    Irritating, No
    Presenting the gospel, Yes
    Obnoxious posturing, No

I am very much in favor of good solid street preaching but not the kind where some loud mouth is more irritating than a broken car alarm that won't turn off. I am talking about someone presenting the gospel in a manner which actually draws people toward him and not drives them away cringing.

4. Elnora

Elnora New Member

I voted yes, but not if they're yelling. The gospel is an offense to those that perish but we don't have to be offensive when we share it. When I came to Christ, I remembered a young man (this was 1969) walk up to me with a gospel track and politely ask me if he could share it with me. I agreed. He presented the gospel to me. I thought it was nice of him but it went right over my head or I should say my heart. [​IMG] But when I was born again seven years later I remembered the young man who shared the gospel of Christ with me. I never saw him again and I am sure he thought his effort was in vain. But I believe as the scripture says, some plant, some water, but God gives the increase. He will have an unexpected crown waiting... Thank you Lord for the faithful who plant the seeds of the Gospel. I am so grateful...

[​IMG]

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I voted yes. If the Gospel is presented correctly with love then so be it. I know there are some that get aggressive which I believe is a total turn off to the lost sinner. But, there are alot that do preach the Word of God with love, my uncle is one of those gentlemen.

When you all say "yelling," what exactly do you mean? To me its not preaching unless you can see a blood vein every now and then. [​IMG] :D

Luke 14:23  And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Loud and emotional is not necessarily "yelling". I am talking about an obnoxious, grating, arragant, angry, self-righteous screaming. You have to speak loud enough for people to hear you but, if your interest is in demonstrating your "God given preachin' style" rather than trying to communicate with people then you're just being a jerk. If your interest is in giving hurting people some good news then you will do it in a manner that reflects your heartfelt concern for them.

7. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Jesus was a street preacher. Paul was a street preacher. Most all the disciplew were street preachers. It worked then and it still works. The Word said

8. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

I love the idea, but it will require ALOT of work in today's world with a dose of bravery, too.

I'm not even sure, though, how to even get started with this.

Would you just walk up to people and start talking?

Would you set up a table with your tracts and put a podium right there beside it, then start preaching a general "sales pitch" about Jesus?

Where would should you set up? Next to a bar? On a busy street corner? Out in a larger field?

What do you think?

J5Grand

9. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Jamal, Let me encourage you to go with another experienced street preacher before you try it on your own. Let me know if you need some help in finding someone near your area for help. I know a lot of them in various states.

10. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

I voted no because, in my limited observances of street preaching (yelling and screaming mostly), most were repelled by it, and the rest simply tuned it out.

I just can't picture Jesus on a street corner with an amp and a mic, screaming at the top of his lungs at people.

I'm all for evangelism, but get the message out without bursting a blood vessel screaming. :D

11. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Isa 58:1 Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.

12. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

IITim. 2:24- And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

If you can street preach like this, then I'm all for it. [​IMG]

13. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I would have to say, a well chosen location, and the desire to see the Lord glorified, would be important parts. But the most important part is the calling to do it. I told God I'll go wherever He sends me and do whatever He leads me to do. Problem is I have never done it... But, if I feel called to do this ministry, then God will have to tell me where and what to preach.

14. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go every once in awhile to Mill St. (close to ASU campus) in Tempe on a Friday night. There are lots of people milling around, and I have drawn a crowd and gotten to witness to many college students at once. If you can avoid the fruitless arguments, and if you have prayed for the right attitude with the people down there, it can be a very rewarding experience. If you go down there with the wrong attitude, people will know it and will turn you off quicker than anything. Sometimes, when I'm down there (with usually three or four other men from our church), another Independent Baptist Church is down there with offensive signs and such. I don't like that. One time, I was approached by two men that the other men I was with said were possessed. I'm not sure, but one of them claimed to be a Christian and wanted to help hand out tracks. We said sure, but then he started really getting into people's faces and blocking their paths (not only very rude, but against the law as well). I had to confront the man and take our tracts back, and he started going on about how he was an angel sent to look after us.

Also, on another occasion, a 17 year old young man stole a woman's purse and made the mistake of running past us as we were handing out tracts. When I saw the police in pursuit, I ran the thief down and held him there while the cops caught up. I got to witness to him for about 60 seconds with my foot on his neck, gave him my water, and the police took him away.

Street preaching is not something that should be done lightly and not something that should be done with a legalistic attitude, but it is something that should be done in my honest opinion.

Jason :D

15. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Jamal,

The young man who presented the gospel to me just walked up to me in a public park. I try to witness wherever I am. What helped me on the bravery part was when I realized if someone rejects the message it doesn't matter. The Holy Spirit is the one to convict someone that is not our job. It takes the pressure off of you. What I am trying to say is, it isn't our job to get people to accept Christ. Just share the good news. Remember, that person may seem to reject the message but the seed has been planted like in my case the seed planted sat there for quite some time until I heard the message again. It was watered, then God gave the increase! I was saved and many of my family as a result! God gave the increase.

Powerful don't you agree. I never gave that young man one more thought or his message until... When I was born again God brought to my remembrance the people who had planted those seeds! It amazes me to this day.

16. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Oops, forgot to answer more in depth about the approach. I don't think you need to go to a lot of work to present the Gospel. As a matter of fact this young man did have a little tract, one only. He was probably young in the Lord and used it to present it like someone with notes. Being a curious person I wanted to know what he had.

Just listen as people in general speak to you. God will open a door for you to share his love. This way you can witness in any situation as you go about your daily life.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist