1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Street Preaching

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by MTA, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Making an observation. In other eras, men stood on the soapbox and preached and an interested crowd would gather. Debate. Circus atmosphere, etc.

Today, those who will stop and listen (and not be annoyed or amused at the ramblings) are often the poorly educated, children, those with no other source of entertainment. The normal folks (elite?) will walk quickly by and not pay the least attention to such.

Brother, I see it regularly. Every night of the year along the strip at Waikiki there are street people on every block. And 2-3 "preachers" among them. The clowns, mimes, musicians gather crowds (myself included; they're good). The street preacher, most often screaming "repent" or just reading OT verses chapter by chapter, get only disdain.

I've done some street preaching back in the 60's. With a small group, guitar and tried to have my friends pass tracts, etc, while I spoke. Very very little fruit even then, as that era of effective street meetings was ending.

Methods change with society and different eras. Many times, we are a generation behind the world in methodology and think it somehow "spiritual".

BTW, the internet is the new "streetcorner", as was (and still is) TV.