1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strength Training After 50

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...is an important aspect toward good health that I don't think many truly appreciate just how benficial it is to one's wellness.

The loss of skeletal muscle mass as we age (sarcopenia) usually begins in our 30’s and this loss increases at a higher rate as we age. I believe there is nothing that compares to the anti-aging effects of strength training which greatly improves the quality of lives as we grow older. I came across a nice article which explains the benefits of maintaining muscle mass through strength training as we age and want to share it:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Strength-Training-After-50-For-Your-Health-and-Orthopedic-Fitness&id=6777980

Much better than being a:

[​IMG]

Below is a good example of how profound a difference strength training can make (a larger version is going on my gym wall for motivation):

This is cross sections of legs showing the muscle mass of Top- 40 year old athlete, Middle- 74 year old sedentary man, Bottom- 70 year old athlete:

[​IMG]

#1 Benjamin, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012