1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strike Three for the Federal Reserve

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by KenH, Jul 4, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "No batter always gets on base but America, nay the world, has a high-quality pinch hitter that it benched a century ago: the Gold Standard. It’s not perfect but it is far better, and fairer, than the Fed. Returning to gold, or some other commodity standard, need not be scary." - Robert E. Wright

- rest of article at Strike Three for the Federal Reserve | AIER

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why Not Go Back to the Gold Standard?

There are significant problems with tying currency to the gold supply:

• It doesn’t guarantee financial or economic stability.
    • It’s costly and environmentally damaging to mine.
    • The supply of gold is not fixed.
    “The U.S. mines a lot of gold, but we’re not the biggest producer,” Wheelock said. “The bigger suppliers of gold would have more control over our monetary policy, and there’s no reason to have it because we can get the advantages of the gold standard and avoid the disadvantages without being on a gold standard.”

Here’s Why the U.S. No Longer Follows a Gold Standard.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the worst things ever done economically in the history of the United States was the passage of the Federal Reserve Act in 1913. If you doubt that, just look at what has happened to the purchasing value of the U.S. dollar in the 109 years since it was passed.

As far as the gold standard, it most certainly could - and should - be re-established. I hold not no hope that the politicians and the Federal Reserve will ever - willingly - re-establish it. But if things go into hyper-inflation like has happened elsewhere in the world, you never can tell.

This is a great book on the subject of the gold standard, and free to read - Gold: The Monetary Polaris GTMP-ed4-eBook-1.pdf (newworldeconomics.com)

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC By the way, I am quite aware that only me and few other people actually care about the gold standard nowadays. What can I say? I am an old man and I yell at clouds. :D

• Funny Funny x 1