1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stringy...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lori, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Lori

Lori New Member

Posting this here because I have not been able to find the Sciency forum this morning. If you are a moderator for this thread, please feel free to move this topic to a more appropriate place if need be.

I just watched last night a really cool program "nova" on pbs about the string theory. What do christians think of this and of the possibility of other dimensions? In order for the string theory to work they said there would need to be 10 dimensions. Also what do you suppose would make up the strings?

Not trying to start a science debate, just wanting to start an interesting conversation.

Thanks,

azwyld
    <*}}}><

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Never heard of it. And i don't beleive in other demensions anymore then I do alien lifeforms. But that could be just me.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    String theory is based in particle physics. While most think that the electron is the smallest particle, the string theory proposes that there are even smaller particles than that that make up matter. It is a fascinating subject. Nevertheless, I do not understand most of it. I took a physics seminar course that introduced this and other topics. I do not have my notes readily accessable, so I cannot get into any more detail than this (maybe if I have time later I can find and copy them for you).

As far as dimensions go, it all depends on how you define dimension. Practically speaking, we use several every day. The 1st dimension is a point. The 2nd is a line. The 3rd is a cube or sphere. ect, ect, ect, ... It is almost impossible for any human to understand anything beyond the fifth dimension (for me, three is hard enough). However, that fact that we cannot fathom any more than that does not mean they do not exist. It just shows how much greater God is than we could ever hope to be.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the 5th? I can account for 4; IE: Length, Breath, Height, Time. Don't have any concept of any past these.

This is something that is totally facinating to me even though I really have no concept beyond the 4.
    I figure if I keep reading various writings on the subject, someone just may explain it so's I can get a grasp of it! :D [​IMG]

5. Brownov

Brownov New Member

I saw some of the same program and I have had some interest in string theory in the past. What I think is most amazing is that many "scientists" think it makes more sense to add dimensions to fit an untestable theory than to accept that the extremely complex nature of reality was created by God. String theory may provide some interesting ideas, but any theory that is based on a worldview that excludes the existence of God is going to be faulty.

6. Lori

Lori New Member

One dimension was explained using an ant. They showed a power line that as we see it is just a line. Ok. Well take an ant. He sees it as a line, but is small enough to see the very minute details of the power line i.e. the lines that wrap around in a (clockwise/or counterc) direction through the length of the line.

I know that there's atoms and then smaller is the electrons, protons, neutrons that make them up. They said that quarks make up atom parts and I am *guessing* here that these strings make up the quarks...that is if I understood the program.

I know they said that they don't have a way to prove that strings exist yet, but I'm sure that given enough time (and if it's something God allows man to understand) there will be a way to test/track them.

It shows me and proves to me even more that God created everything. Do you realize how exactly and painstaikingly precise every atom and quark and string and element has to be in order to make life as we know it? Boggles the mind. I am not interested in learning this to demysify God, rather it's just something that's interesting to me. It's kinda neat that He's allowed us to glimpse this much.

Oh how true that prophecy is...*paraphrasing here, but you get the point* in the end days knowledge will increase and man will go to and fro.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

Wish I had the brains for math then I would have studied Quantum Physics and all that neat stuff.

7. just-want-peace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not aware that this necessarily excluded God.

Again, I was unaware that God was a factor in this theory; either positive or negative.

I will be aware of what you've said from now on!

8. Pete

Pete New Member

Caught some of it on the idiot box the other week, didn't understand a word of it, but still interesting [​IMG] Might try and get around to watching it on net (nova The Elegant Universe)

Whatever is "out there", be it string theory/parallel universes/or none of the above, it was put there by God [​IMG]

9. Lori

Lori New Member

Yeppers I agree with ya pete! [​IMG]

azwyld
    <*}}}><

10. Brownov

Brownov New Member

-jwp
    it's not that God is a factor in the theory, firsthand, just that much of the study that is going on in physics today is not from a Biblical perspective. Physics is one of the areas of science in which there are not enough Christians doing theoretical work, in order to come up with Biblical paradigms for quantum mechanics and relativity, etc.

I appreciate the attempts to explain the observations we make in the nature of quantum reality, and I found the program to be very interesting. One thing that I noticed was that scientists have discovered a set of constants that must be present in order for the math behind string theory to work. The scientist's in the program admitted that they do not know what established those constants, just that they must be there. From my perspective, this suggests God's handiwork, but another person might interpret the information differently. That perspective is what I am talking about.

11. Lori

Lori New Member

They also admitted that just because something is extremely unlikely to happen doesn't mean it won't. A/K/A miracles can happen (as we being Christians know they can) and we can use that little tidbit when skeptics say miracles do not happen.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

12. just-want-peace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine

I think I get your drift.

I guess whats amazing to me is that a believer will take the word of a scientist over the word of God. Not referring to this thread particularly, but if you've followed some of the evolution topics you know what I mean.

Seems the more we (collective "WE") learn about the building blocks of nature, the more it seems to demand some far superior intelligence to be the architect of it all.

Most of us on this forum acknowledge that Superior Intelligence to be God, but even the "others" appear to be coming around to something more than "CHANCE".

Hopefully they will come to a fuller realization of the truth before it's too late for them!

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure off hand. I heard them referenced in some computer science type courses, but I have no idea what they are.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rocket science ...
    Hey Tex!

As with most modern science, strings are a method (attempt) to explain the origins of the Universe. This is needed because the current "guesses" are running out of steam.

Science is becoming a study of myths - While Stephen Hawking (1) alludes to the babylonian fable of the sun (2) as being a primitive science, in the video series "Universe" he places "Science" at war with the "Church"(3).

The "Theory proposed by Moses" is the only theory that has lasted more than 100 years ...

Strings as pointed out are a guess to explain matter.

The 10 demensional work is interesting. This would mean that a grain of sand in the theory becomes more significant that our solar system ... (4)

Wayne

(1) The work was written by David Filkin, but proclaims itself as Stephen's worldview
    (2) coming in from one door in the morning and leaving at night
    (3) Misplaced the notes or I would give you a time so you could listen to it.
    (4) The shadow of a 7th demension object into our 4 demensions would yield something like a person (any object in our universe is technically 4 demensions) ... Think of how easy it is to fake "a movie" with only ONE DEGREE of separation. (4 demensions to 3 demensions) ... Can you imagine what a person can "fake" across 6 demensions of shadows?
    Now imagine