1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strippers For Jesus, Seriously

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Nov 29, 2013.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't seem to determine what faith this woman might be unless I just skipped over it.

---

"Ex-dancer makes it her mission to save others

One former stripper is making it her life's work to go into strip clubs, not to ogle or dance, but to evangelize.

Jaime Hindman, 35, is hoping to save women's bodies and souls. She founded the group called "Divine" in Orange County, California. The group is part of a nationwide network of like-minded ministries called "Strip Church."

Hindman admits she's not exactly Mother Theresa, "but where did Jesus hang out?" she asked. "Who is going to go back and love these girls? Someone's gotta do it."

"Nightline" followed Hindman and her group through a night of club hopping, not to party but to distribute care packages to strippers.

Hindman worked as a stripper for three years and ended up with zero self-esteem, hating men. She said she was raped by one of her customers and claims "100 percent" of strippers are sexually assaulted or raped on the job. Now she spends Saturday nights stuffing pink paper bags with sugary treats, nail polish, makeup and and Christian literature in hopes to win over other dancers.

"Nightline" followed Hindman's group to four separate clubs. They made it inside all but one of the clubs, delivering packages but not winning any converts just yet. But Hindman was convinced one woman she met at a topless sports bar in Anaheim was ready.

"She just told us a horrific story about how a guy was basically ejaculated over her, and she basically had to pour alcohol over her body to feel clean again," Hindman said. "She's just trying to get out, but she has a family to support. She's been in it for 10 years."

Hindman can relate because she said she has been there herself.

But not all strippers want to be saved. Crysrtal, a dancer who worked at The Library Gentlemen's Club in Westminster, Calif., told "Nightline" she stripped to pay for law school.

"I graduated law school. I have two kids. I'm working on passing the bar," she said. "I think you only are degraded if you allow somebody to degrade you."

David Bailey, who owns The Library, said stripping is just adult entertainment.

"There's nothing wrong with the human body, and what we do is a legal form of entertainment," he said. "We have licenses. We pay taxes. We do all those things."

For Hindman, stripping became a horror show. After the rape, she said, something just switched off inside her. She kept dancing for two more years, even though she felt guilty about what she was doing, in part because she needed the money. And, she said, she kept needing more and more money, especially when she started using drugs to numb the humiliation of stripping.

"I lived in shame of it, for 10 years, and it still destroyed me, because I had no one to talk to about it, and I felt like people would be disgusted by who I was in the past," she said.

"I was this empty shell of anger, and directed [it] at every man that came in front of me. So if any man touched me, or grabbed me, which happened often, I would kick them with my heel," Hindman continued. "I just became so angry, and I became this person that just, I didn't recognize anymore, but felt completely trapped."

Hindman has since found Christian compassion, even for the men who frequent strip clubs. She said she seems them as sinners, guilty of lust, like she was. The Christian tradition teaches that love is all about giving yourself to other people, but lust is about taking.

Hindman said the dark side of this tawdry business tends to get lost in a culture where pop stars like Rihanna celebrate the sexiness of pole dancing, as she recently did in her music video, "Pour It Up." And, according to Hindman, the only difference between Miley Cyrus twerking at the Video Music Awards and getting a lap dance at a strip club is just the venue and the performer.

"You watch people like Miley Cyrus, or Rihanna, doing her video about stripping, it's for the girl that wants to be loved, and doesn't come from a good environment, and looks to these stars to resemble and, be like, 'oh, that must be how it is to be sexy,'" Hindman said. "How do you repair all the damage that you set yourself up with? It's years of layers of uncovering, to heal all that brokenness."

Her belief that other dancers also feel trapped, just as she did, is what motivates Hindman to go into clubs. She believes in her group's mission and prays she can help others find the path to redemption.

"I felt like I was stained and God could not remove that and he has," she said. "There's reason for everything in that God did something good with my story and all of our stories and every weekend I go back I get in awe of how great God is and it is all worth it."

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/strippers-jesus-dancer-makes-mission-save/story?id=21024000

#1 HAMel, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

She has a connection to a culture that I never will and if she's able to reach these girls, good for her!! I thank her for her work if she's truly bringing the Gospel to these girls.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ministry is affiliated with Mariners Church (nondenominational). Senior Pastor Kenton Beshore is son of Dr. F. Kenton Beshore, founding secretary of the fundamentalist Baptist World Mission.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Misleading title and not so sure the explicit details had to be put in the OP. We had to know that why?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus said that he came to save the lost, so God bless her ministry working with those whose life choices are NOT what God intended!

Wonder about the ministry to the men who need to go see the ladies doing their 'jobs?"

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church supports a ministry similiar to this. It is lead by women for women composed of women...the men stay home and pray. It has had powerful results.

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misleading title and not so sure the explicit details had to be put in the OP. We had to know that why?

Take a couple of aspirins. Perhaps a short nap. When you awake perhaps your stiff neck will feel better.

...some people would gripe if they were getting hung with a new rope.

...this forum has more contrary souls than any forum I visit.

Perhaps you need to be exposed to some "explicit details"!
    Consider..., "reality".

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree the title is misleading - but the OP gave good info. However, Bob Harrington came to mind, and his ultumlate fall. I trust this lady will stay true to the Lord.

Good plan.

9. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I would not support with a minisatry named that (they should call themselves EX- strippers for Jesus) as long as they are proclaiming the name of the Lord praise God

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hard to shake a past. Simply ask a convicted felon. Ask anyone who's done time.

Once a Marine - Always a Marine / Once a crook - Always a crook / Once a gossip - Always a gossip / Once a stripper - Always a stripper.

Headlines are merely to attract and encourage one to read the story. Had the headline read...,

"Woman Quits Bar Scene, Becomes Advocate For The Lord"..., would have been a ho-hum story and turned how many heads?

11. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would have turned mine. But IDK.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

It's not hard for a convicted felon to "shake a past." I am one, but I'm not the man who got convicted. I know that, and I have no problem not being him. Read my introduction to the board when I first joined.

What is hard is getting others to forget who I was. Not my friends. They see the change. It is those who don't know me, who make a judgment because of what a piece of paper says, that pay no attention to who I am now.

#12 thisnumbersdisconnected, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that ALL of us that were saved by the grace of God can agree that ALL of us were part of the group whose sins were nailed on Him at the Cross!

Liked story of robert e lee, when he went to a southern church to worship, and had a black slave kneeling in front of the Cross, and his offocers wante dto remove the man, but lee told him to ley him be, as ALL of us were in same position, on our knees before the cross!

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nashville Strip Church headed by a Southern Baptist pastor's wife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydqdp2SCq2k

Here's another ministry out West:

Ex-Stripper Spreads Gospel

"Since she started the ministry, Veitch has gotten back in shape and lost 25 pounds. She wanted the strippers to see that "jealousy is not what's driving this ministry. I want them to know that if I wanted to, I could be a stripper again, but I choose to live my life for the Lord."

Leaders of the California Southern Baptist Convention(JC's Girls' home church is associated with the denomination) support the ministry but acknowledge that the website may be too edgy for church members."

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Put the wrong post # in the link; Click on this one and you'll get my intro.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think her heart is in the right place. She needs instruction, but I won't stand in line to condemn her.

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not hard for a convicted felon to "shake a past."

Was making reference in another direction. Of course, one can change and many do however, the record never goes away. If, after several years, a couple three decades, etc., ones record could be purged..., but no, whatever is on the record stays forever.

Glad to hear you're helping others with their problems and that's an honorable endeavor. :thumbs:

As for me, I'm too critical at times as my sense on "nonsense" red lines quite often. Need to cool my jets and become stealth.