1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strong/Weak Christians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, shout out to any Baptist Pastors from NW NJ......HEY WHERE ARE YA?:laugh:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting! :wavey:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You might try making an effort to find a church. It is doubtful that a pastor of your perfect church is going to knock on your front door.

If you pray and ask God to help you, you will find the right church because it is God's will for you to be in one.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think He already knows...been looking almost 2 years now. It's a very different world up here. Most people are atheists or Catholics or some apostate club. Tell me, how many Baptist Churches do you have in your community?

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever considered a "baptistic" church that may not actually be baptist?

The Archangel

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like what?

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

interesting!

would that be a church ;ike Evangelical free Church, Conservative presby, or?

8. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure...it would depend on the individual church.

For me, in our area, if I were living here and not a pastor, I'd be attending a Presbyterian church down in WVa. Now, that doesn't mean I'd attend just any Presbyterian church. But I know that church's pastor, I know his heart, I know his love for the Gospel and for Christ. I wouldn't ever agree with their baptism of babies, but to hear the word preached by him and to worship and fellowship with the saints, I'd definitely go there.

The Archangel

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive called two Evan Free Churches during the summer....both are the "Big" churches in the area....both not really in my area.... and after the 3rd try to both I did speak to one pastor. Very milk toast, not really reformed, but very big & very contempory & not very supportive for being a good pastor. Naaaa. And Im still waiting for the other guy to call!

Conservative Presby...... well we got an OPC but the Pastor was the guy who told me that because I wasnt a member of the Covenant, when my child died he went to hell & I put him there. Again naaaaa, besides I have Baptist distinctive s not Presbyterian.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You really need to go visit churches instead of calling them. They're probably not going to go into detail over the phone and you need to meet people face to face and discern the Spirit in each particular church. It can be tiring, been there done that, but it's really the only way.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive got a plethora of apostate churches around though so if I want women and or homosexuals on the pulput, Halloween parties etc....then yea, I can do that....or I can go back to the Catholics.:smilewinkgrin:

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think also is that there might well be good baptist churches in area that would not be easily known, as for example, mine is Stony Creek Church, not "first baptist" in our name! As some of us are in cities that to use actual term "baptists" would send people away, not drawing them in!

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Perhaps part of your problem is you value being "reformed" more than being involved with God's people. You might be surprised at the blessing this church can be to you and you to this church.

I do know that it is impossible to be anything near the Christian God wants us to be outside of the local church.

If all else fails, you might want to consider relocating, church attendance is that important!

Come down here to Houston, TX. We probably have 20 or 30 Baptist churches within a 5 mile radius of my house, maybe more.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive been living here over 50 years .... its kinda hard to hide from me. Regarding moving to Houston....Naaaaaa! And I believe in Reformed theology.....why would I change? I have gone to a Baptist church that tried to change that instead of respecting my beliefs & I wont do that ever again.

#34 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In those 50 years that you have lived in NJ, how many of them have you been a faithful church attender? Have you been a member of a church ever?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I was Catholic for we 32 yrs then a PCUSA. Ive also been a lier, a thief, a murderer, a fornicator till 17-18 months ago when I got regenerated & changed. So after 55 yrs....Im a changed man.....I still cant figure that out but Im very thankful. Imagine that!

#36 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    now I have been trying to go to a Reformed Baptist Church but their dieing a fairly rapid death (no new membership & loosing people all the time....even the Pastors son doesnt attend). Im not being fed & I desire allot more interaction & study but they arent providing anything....rather they want me to bring in friends & family (who are not regenerated),,,,yea right, these folks have zero interest in any church, much less one that wants them to drive 30 miles away & be out of their community....fat chance of that happening.

So its not for lack of trying on my part.

18. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a very challenging situation.

Have you considered, though, that you might be God's gift to this church to inspire them to get serious about biblical fellowship, serious Bible study, and perhaps small groups.

Often times we look at a church and ask "what can they do for me?" I think the biblical question--and the much, MUCH, harder question--is "how can I serve these people?"

Just a thought.

Blessings,

The Archangel

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im not in any position to serve anyone. The Lord has given me the gift of new life & I need to learn more about that & Him. Remember, I only have 18 months of this....post tenebras lux. Now I have to learn & grow in the lord.....not be tied to people who are comfortable in their lifestyles to the point of killing their own church cause they are so lazy that they cant go out to people, especially when people come into the church to learn & grow. No my brother, rather let the dead bury the dead & refuse to be a part of that dead mentality.

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The above reminds me of a recent situation. The man was very active in his church, but started to withdraw from church activities and started looking around at other churches to attend. He gave me a few books he had read saying they were very good. After reading the books myself, I suspected what the problem was.

The books were written by two pastors who had realatively large churches. The books described how the ideal church should function and critized churches in general for not living up to the authors idea of an ideal church. The book even suggested that churches were a detriment to the Kingdom of God in many cases. The man, who gave me the books to read, started finding fault with his church and the people in it and started looking for a better church. He did not change churches because his family resisted.

After reading the books, I pointed out to him that the authors had the luxury of being idealistic and not having to deal with real people and real problems; and that one of the functions of the church is to deal with real people and real problems that people have. He has since became active in his church as before.

The authors of those books have both left their church and are doing other things such as speaking tours. Perhaps, they wanted to live in an ideal world and not have to deal with the real situations in a church.