1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Struggling Faith

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by birdlover99, Jan 4, 2018.

1. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Member

I have listened to a couple of Dr. Charles Stanley's sermons now and enjoy them a lot. I'm struggling with my faith. I love going to church but Everytime I do, my husband refuses to talk to me the rest of the day and makes me feel like a terrible person and that no matter what I do, I will still be a terrible person. I stuggle with the temptations of the world and when I start to overcome them and give the Lord more time he will emotionally berate me to the point that I push it all to the side and to please my husband. I need advice. I feel decietful when I pull out my Bible to read and do my studies and hide it away when he comes home. It makes me feel like I'm doing something naughty. I need advice and prayers please.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm really sorry to hear this, Birdlover. If it's any consolation, I think your situation is far from uncommon.
    I will certainly be praying for you and your husband.
    As for advice, you will want to be the very best wife that you can be, but God has to come first. If you go to church, make sure that lunch or whatever will be ready at the usual time. Don't stop reading your Bible, but make sure you don't neglect other duties. Be praying constantly for your husband, and encourage yourself with 1 Peter 3:1-4. I have known men be won for the Lord when they observe their wife's changed behaviour.
    Finally, 'delight yourself in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart' (Psalm 37:4).

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hi Birdlover. Martin gave you solid advice. Your husband is fighting the Spirit and not just you but it is important that you keep yourself in the Word of God and meeting with His people if at all possible. Pray for your husband. I know wives who have prayed for their husbands for decades and by their testimony, I know that there is always hope. Love your husband, serve him faithfully and keep growing in the Lord.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two sides to every story. Without hearing what your husband has to say, I don't see how anyone can really advise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've spoken with you before, BL99, and previously read all your posts.

Yes, your husband is in the wrong. But you have to ask yourself WHY he is so resistant and WHY he keeps telling you that "going to church won't make you a better person."

In the past, you've given us some explicit detail as to your own sin in this marriage. Could it be that your husband - who isn't innocent here - is having trouble seeing that "changed person" you say you are? I'm not accusing you of any of your past problems - I'm just asking if those things still plague you. I'm asking rhetorically - you don't have to answer that here.

Here's my counsel - take it or leave it - I am not a trained counselor and don't know all the details except what you have shared here over the past months.

• Do NOT stop reading/studying the Bible. Ephesians 5:25-27 says that the Word "washes" us. If you are truly a Christian - the reading of the Word is necessary.
      • Take to heart Lamentations 3:40- "Let us examine our ways and test them and let us return to the Lord." Take a good raw look at yourself and ask: Are my past sins IN the past. If they are - praise God. How can I help my husband to trust me more? Counseling? Heavy duty prayer? Seek God in this.
      • As Martin, above said, take to heart 1 Peter 3 and what the Word says to women married to unbelievers.
    I'm grieved for your household and will be praying.