1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Students of Southern Evangelical Seminary - Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by thebrain72, Oct 10, 2005.

1. thebrain72

thebrain72 New Member

I am registered at Southern Evangelical in Charlotte, and I am planning to start classes in January.

I was wondering what information or advice those of you that are current or former students might have to offer?

Thanks in advance.....

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too attend SES, as does at least one other that I know of here on this board. But I don't think there are many of us here. I study externally. My suggestions? Who, me? Well, now that you ask:

1. Fasten your seat belt. It's going to be a wild ride. You'll feel like you've been given impossible assignments, but they're do-able, and on the other side, you'll have world-class skills.
    2. I found seminary work to be many times more time consuming than the other undergrad and grad work that I did.
    3. Don't get behind on the reading. If you're starting in Jan, find out the reading assignments for the classes now, buy the books, and start reading this week. Better yet, start today.
    4. Make outlines and short summaries for yourself. It'll help you wrap your mind around the concepts and remember them better.
    5. I assume you're on campus.....if so, make friends in class and meet with them before or after class to review the material. You'll need it.
    6. Learn the Turabian standards.....they're particular about those.
    7. Promise yourself that you'll see it through.
    8. For the class papers, don't just do easy stuff. Force yourself to do something hard and real-world, such as an actual defense against a heretic. Set the bar high.
    9. Hang around Geisler and Howe every chance you get.

What degree are you signing up for? Do you have any plans for ministry?

Jude 3

3. thebrain72

thebrain72 New Member

Thanks for your reply Humblesmith, and sorry for my delay in replying, things are hectic right now.

Yes, I will be attending on campus, and I am registered for the BA in Religious Studies. I feel I have been called into ministry but I just don't know where yet. Bi-vocational, pastor, or staff minister are possibilites but have gotten clear direction on that yet. I do have a complete peace about seminary and getting the education I need to move forward and am looking forward to doing so.