1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study bibles as Christmas gifts...best ones...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by 3John2, Dec 1, 2003.

1. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Every Christmas I like to give away nice study bibles. This year I was disappointed to see the new & "updated" New Open bible become nearly worthless with a bunch of notes. I always liked their cross reference system best since it is at the end of the verse & not in a center column or the bottom of a page. I liked it since it didn't have notes but a lot of study aids. Having said that I don't believe all bibles with notes are bad it's just when I give away gifts I like the person to be able to search the scriptures for themselves & have good aids at their disposal. Later they can choose their own in terms of notes. For example I think MacArthurs is a very good study bible. I was just curious as to what bibles you all consider good STUDY bibles? Currently I'm leaning towards buying the Thompson in Moroccan leather. Anyways don't want to start arguments just curious as to opinions &/or advice regarding "good" study bibles.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Scofield Reference KJV

Spiros Zodhiates Study Bible KJV

Not that I'm a KJV or loose your salvation guy---but the King's English is better than my everyday vocabulary---allows for better word expository!

Brother David

3. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Although my main study bible is KJV I do not adhere to the extreme views held by the KJV only crowd. I know what you meant though. Thanks for the input.

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Reformed Study Bible. It was called the New Geneva Study Bible but they changed the name. You can get the Geneva bible at a discount now on RC Sprouls website, or get the Reformed at the regular price. They are the same Bible.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hardcover or leather for a 9 year old boy? It'll be NKJV, that's already decided but wondering... He has a small leather N.T. that he's taken very good care of so far.

Diane

6. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Leather.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I recommed is rather than spend all that money on a study Bible is to buy a good Bible without any study notes and then two other books. The two books would be a survey of the Old Testament and the other a survey of the New Testament.

Study notes are someone else's interpretaion of the text. Many years ago a man told me that if I will seek to understand the historical background of each book of the Bible most of scripture will be easy.

The point I cannot emphasize enough is to just simply read the Bible over and over. The tendency with a study Bible is to read what someone else writes instead of simply reading the text.

For the first several years of my Christian life I just read the Bible a lot. Then I bought a concordance. Those two books occupied at least one hour of my time each day.

One of the first thing I do with those I lead in a study of a book of the Bible is to have them read it through in in one sitting with just a regular Bible in hand and no study notes. They soon learn how much they learn just by reading.

8. 3John2

3John2 New Member

THAT is why I liked the old "Open bible' it had NO NOTES. just cross references & a concordance etc. I"m learning towards the Thompson now for that reason. Basically I'm looking for a bible with aids but no theoligical/doctrinal bias. The new Open bible has too many notes. I guess if your'e looking for that fine but if your just looking for aids to help you study the Word better than that's different. Perhaps a bible, a concordance & a Systematic theology would be better.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV? Scofield is the cream, Have had and used one since 1957 (not the same one; I'm on #5)

NKJV? MacArthur or Reformers. Have them both and love them

Wife loves the NKJV Women's Study Bible (NOT the NIV Womens Study Bible; different animal)

NIV? NIV Study Bible, some of the best notes, maps, etc, but a weak translation

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Zondervan now publishes the NASB and KJV Study Bibles, with the same basic notes as the NIV Study Bible. Best of both worlds - a good translation, and arguably the best marginalia in print.

11. Rocco

Rocco New Member

Here;s the Study Bible;s I have and use .

Scofield KJ

MacArthurs NKJ

Reformation NKJ

Life Application I have one in NLT and One in NIV

John Wesley Study Bible NKJ

NIV Study Bible NIV of course

Concordia Self-Study Bible NIV

Ryrie Study Bibles one in NASB one in KJ and one in NIV three of them .

Harper-Collins in NRSV .

12. Tim

Tim New Member

Amen, bro.!
    Set those study Bibles on the shelf and figure things out without predisposition.

In Christ,

Tim

13. Dina

Dina New Member

My dh bought me the NIV Life Application Study Bible a couple years ago, and I really like it. Lots of "historical info", maps, notes, cross refenrences to other verses, a good index, and concordance.

I would say this is the best gift he's bought me...so far. ;)

14. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I particularly like the KJV Study Bible. I also like the Scofield Reference Bible and the Thompson Chain Reference Bible.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the Life Application Bibles and also the Evidence Bible edited by Ray Comfort.

16. dawna

dawna New Member

i agree I like the Life application study bible too [​IMG]