1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study: Half of SBC pastors believe in 'prayer languages'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jun 5, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Gb's hobby is tearing down the SBC. He has started several threads for no other purpose than to degrade and demean God's work through the SBC. He has been proven wrong in thread after thread. The bottom line is, I wouldn't believe one word he posts.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I have had a few disagreements with GB over the years, but to say is hobby is tearing down the SBC is false. GB, like me, would like to see a stronger more open SBC. If he points out faults, it is because it is so easy :)

IN this case he did not tear down anything, he simply reported a story that was produced by Lifeway research in Nashville. this survey was compiled by very respected conservatives - Dr Brad Waggoner, a big Al Mohler supporter, and his former Dean of the school of Education at Southern until a year or two ago. Dr Waggoner knows a little bit about statistical research (at least I would hope he does or there are some shaky Phds from southern running around out there!)

If you dont like the research, find a good reason to tear it down - dont tear down the man, GB.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is where you are wrong. You need to call up his past threads and see if their purpose and only purpose is to demean the SBC. No group of churches or denominations are perfect. We are all flawed creatures. But to never do anything but slam the SBC ignores all the things God has done through it. Maybe he should start his own perfect denomination and leave ours alone.

He used the survey to try and prove his point.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Instead of gossip why don't you provide some fatcs to indicate that I have done nothing.

Why do you not have enough integrity to ask me directly why I posted the article instead of casting judgment as though you know the answer?

How much effort have you made to find out if what I have ever posted had any truth?

Have you made any phone calls and written any letters to verify anything?

Let's see if you can answer these questions directly or will you give out some more opinionated gossip.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guarantee that if the results had been different, no one would be complaining about methodology.

6. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

1 Cor 14:2 "For he that speaketh in an "UNKNOWN" tongue speaketh not unto man but unto God, howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."

First let's look at the ADDED word in the King James UNKNOWN.
    The word unkown was not in the original Greek Translation it was added. Because of the problems Paul was dealing (Cor was written because the Corentians were bringing over their pagan ways into their Christianity) with the MISUSE of the gift of tonhues and probably bringing in pagan utterances. Remember Jesus telling his disciples not babble on like the pagans?

Unknown was added to differentiate the right and wrong uses of tongues. Which in the Greek always meant KNOWN language...Dialect. When the gift of Tongues is mentioned it is always used in the PLYRAL form meaning Languages, remember if you have the gift of tongues you will be able to speak in more than one language, because whose to say you didn't learn that one language?
    The only time it is used in a singlar form is 1 Cor 14:26-27 where Paul is no doubt refering to the real gift, but mentioning a singualr man, speaking a singular language, which demands a singular form.

7. IronWill

IronWill New Member

This was shoddily done research. 405 "senior pastors" were surveyed. Let's not jump on the "SBC is evil bandwagon" because of a shoddily done poll.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it shoddy because of the number? Statistically valid surveys always work with a sample of the population.

9. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Any good survey of a group as large as the SBC is going to use a higher sample. Furthermore, I would say that the survey is flawed because of the bias of the person conducting the poll, who has been heavily influenced by the emerging church.

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I will say again, the guy that did the research is Dr Brad Waggoner, who earned his PhD in foundations of education at SWBTS - where he took research from and stastics from one of the top educators in SBC life. He went on to become the dean of the school of education at SBTS under Al Mohler - he has done and supervised more Phds and thier research and statistics than just about anyone. I think he knows what he is doing, and I htink he did a good job in this analysis. If he cant put together a good sample - one would have to question the Phds granted by SWBTs and SBTS for many years

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The statistics could be flawed or they could be very statistically significant. That would depend on the procedure used to collect the data. 405 is about one percent of senior pastors in SBC churches.

It does not always take a high number to give accurate results if the variance across regions proves the same.

Had the article stated the results most people would not understand that it meant.

#31 gb93433, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007