1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Study methods

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why I raised the questions I did above... I've heard so many people adhere to this method, and then not understand how the method is to function. At least there isn't agreement.

I still have a hard time believing this is the best way to study Scriptures. People w/ bad ideas are going to observe, interpret, and apply their bad ideas into their inductive research. People need to be guided by those w/ more maturity and experience to help them on their way, either through a book or sermon or whatever. People need help interpreting the Bible.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just disagree, what I see is people need help learning how to interpret the Bible. A father cannot be the pastor of his home if he cannot read and interpret scripture for himself. When the kids have a question about God the first response should not be let's go ask the pastor, it should be let's go ask dad.

Further Van has some odd views on scripture in a number of areas. Most of the time when this occurs among people it is because they have stopped being teachable. They get the idea they are ready to do things on their own far too early.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    People do need to learn from those gifted as teachers and called to “shepherd” the church. But I have noticed this to be problematic at times (depending on the student, the mentor, and the method). Unfortunately, what is often put forward as “help” in interpreting the Bible is the offering of a “correct interpretation.”

We’ve seen this expressed repeatedly on this forum. "God gave these men to the Church as teachers, therefore God gave their interpretation and doctrine to the Church." The problem, obviously, is that there is no consensus between “these men” and if that were a true statement then it would deny itself across denominational divides. Mentors are certainly useful, but like commentaries then too can be misused and elevated. Even the best scholar is at danger of applying their bad ideas into their inductive research (and all probably do this to some extent).

People need to be taught biblical literacy. People need to learn how to study Scripture. Our church as a whole need help learning how to interpret the Bible, not relying on the interpretation of others. Some of the best mentors I’ve had actually refrained from revealing many of their positions on theological issues so as not to “corrupt” the learning process. Relying on the studies of another only facilitates biblical illiteracy.

4. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is becoming a chicken and egg problem. I'm not advocating to run to the pastor in every instance. I would love for fathers to be able to know and interpret Scriptures well. What I would advocate is that they utilize resources that would make them helpful for their families. They not only listen to the pastor on Sunday but also read well and study well. It is not an "inductive" only thing. The best thing is not just 1 method but a mixture of the best methods. And the father will get there not just on his own w/ the inductive method but also with help from others, including his elders and other aids such as commentaries, articles, and good books.

Example, I think some would benefit far more from reading sermons that do well exegeting Scripture than actually reading through it. Some people can't make heads or tails out of some texts. But w/ sermons, they are at least interacting w/ Scripture and being taught at the same time. What is more, they are indirectly being taught how to interpret Scripture for themselves. They observe it done well by others in their reading, then they go out and do likewise.

PS-I'm an advocate of manuscripting and reading sermons.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    umm... the inductive method encourages using resources to better understand scripture. Neither i nor anyone has been trying to be exhaustive on this subject. What I would be against is just using resources and never trying to understand scripture by their own look into them.

I started out preaching with manuscripts but as time has gone on I use outlines. It lets me engage the congregation with my eyes and it allows me to be more expressive.

6. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just reviewed your initial post on the subject. You are correct. Not sure where I got that idea... I'll blame Van because that is more fun.

As for manuscripts, I don't preach from them. But I do enjoy reading others for devotional material.