1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study Shows Wolves' Importance to Ecosystems

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by KenH, Aug 2, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The loss of once-plentiful wolves in a part of Canada's west allowed the elk population to mushroom, pushing out beavers and songbirds and showing the importance of top predators, Canadian researchers said on Monday.

- Story LINK

2. One View

One View New Member

I’ve always been fascinated with wolves. I think they got a bad rap in years past. I might think differently if I were a sheep farmer, although I’ve heard llamas are good protectors of sheep.

3. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

There are similar studies coming out of Yellowstone after the reintroduction of wolves there.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031029064909.htm

The growth of the wolf population and the subsequent reduction in the number of elk has had a positive cascade throughout the ecology of the park.

I think there is a lesson to be learned in the importance of the top predators to a healthy ecosystem and should lead to a re-evaluation of our management policies of such creatures whether it be bear hunts or marine fishing or any other situation where our activities are having such a negative effect. Long term sustainability is important.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Did you ever see the 1983 movie "Never Cry Wolf"? It was about the relationship between wolves and rodents, particularly mice, in Alaska.

5. fossilman

fossilman New Member

Yes, Daisy, one of my favorite movies. Charles Martin Smith is one of my favorite off-the-red-carpet stars. He does a wonderful job in this movie, surpassed only by his role as Terry the "Toad" er "Tiger" in American Graffiti.

"They thought he couldn't do the job. That's why they chose him."

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

For the last few years, the Colorado Department of Wildlife has been reintroducing wolves into the Rocky Mountains.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Nature is a fabric. You can't pull out one thread without messing up everything.