1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stupid?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's stupid to "retire uniforms;" that is, that no one else who ever plays for the team shall wear that number because the accomplishments of the former player who wore that number are considered honorable.

I just wonder if anyone agrees.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally - I dont see a big problem with it -
    BUT THERE IS ONE MAJOR EXECPTION!

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY # 44
    That number has been worn by some of the greatest players at SU.

It has been uses as a recruiting tool for outstanding players,
    In both Basketball and football!

In fact, when issuing Zip codes - the Post Office issued 13244 to Syr University.
    Well a few years ago some AD decided it should be retired -HOGWASH

The Legend of #44

#2 Salty, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Texas used to have this thing about #60, worn by Tommy Nobis 1963-65. The number wasn't issued to an incoming player, but it could be given to a linebacker who earned it by outstanding play, changing from his old number to the venerated 60.

But I don't agree with that, either. Scrap the numerology!

4. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and #20 Earl Campbell.

both retired ... or was as of 2020. I stopped following 'em after being a life-long orangeblood, grad, football season ticket beneficiary since 1988.

When you're more about politics than the game or playing the school song (band) ... Adios.

AFA the OP ... I don't have a problem with it. It's the club's decision and clearly the bar to retire a number has to necessarily be quite high.

Nobis and Campbell certainly were there. The pudding's proof will be some perceived need to retire another one to demonstrate studliness remains ... but it really hasn't. The closest was Vince Young in 05 ... Colt McCoy in '09. Since then ... there have been some good players, but none who simply take over.

Two conference championships in over 24 years. That's not good. But alas ... I'll be unaware of the next one cause I don't care anymore. Things of the world and weaning. I'm not brow-beating anyone who remains engaged in these activities, but this is my testimony.

5. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may be stupid, but it will continue to be done. And I can't imagine another NY Yankee wearing #3.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Dallas Cowboys have always said they don't retire uniforms. But no one has worn 12 since Roger Staubach, nor 74 since Bob Lilly-- except in preseason. So maybe they don't officially retire numbers, but for a very limited quantity of players, it's done through custom and usage de facto.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist