1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Substitutionary Atonement - The Essence of Christianity

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Dec 5, 2017.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As there has always been since the time of Christ, there are people who would seek to keep us from the forgiveness found in Christ through His substitutionary atonement. On forums like this, I often see those who would shipwreck the faith of God's elect, so it comes as no surprise. We know that wolves can be found where the sheep are.

Here's a simple example to explain why other views of the atonement are literally nonsense. If I, out of the blue, jump in front of a speeding train and get splattered on its windshield to demonstrate my love for you, you would rightfully think me crazy for doing so; however, if I jumped in front of that same train to push you out of its path, saving your life while giving mine, you would know my love for you, and you would not question the need for my actions. I died in your place, in the latter example. In the former, I just died.

Christ took a bullet for His elect. He drank fully of the cup of God's wrath, and He did that for those whom the Father promised Him.

Without Christ's substitutionary atonement, a man is dead in his sin.

#1 thatbrian, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I accept substitutionary atonement, even penal substitutionary atonement, as the most salient description of the atonement, I do not think that other descriptions of the atonement are "literally nonsense."

The atonement is more than substitutionary; it is indeed Christus Victor as well; it is the reconciliation of Creation, marred by man's sin, with the Holy God.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that we should avoid jumping to the charge of "nonsense" immediately, but I stop short of a pan-atonement view. Yes. Jesus defeated Satan on the Cross and by His subsequent resurrection, but that is not the essence of the atonement. God pronounced death as the consequence of sin in the Garden (Gen. 2:17). True to His word, Adam and Eve died, and death was passed on to all of Adam's posterity (Rom. 5:12). The animal sacrificial system was instituted by God to temporarily satisfy God's decree of judgment, but it was never meant to offer a permanent satisfaction for sin (Heb. 10:4). Heb. 10:12 says that the Christ offered one sacrifice for all sin. Yes. Christ defeated Satan by His sacrifice, but it was His innocent blood that made Him a perfect and acceptable sacrifice for sin. We know that a sinful man could not pay such an enormous sin debt, not just for himself, but for humanity as a whole. Adam's sin was an eternal sin, and its consequence extended beyond himself to his entire posterity. The atonement must be equally eternal. Only the Alpha and Omega could satisfy such a requirement. "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:29).

Ergo, the only acceptable atonement view is a blood atonement.

4. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes, Christ came to defeat sin, death and the devil, so we get "Christus Victor" as an explanation for *what* Christ did, but to answer the *how* question, we have PSA. Christ saves by becoming the "Second Adam" and taking the penalty that I deserve, on my behalf. On the flip side of that, He lives a life of perfect obedience, even unto death, for me.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you can’t live a life of perfect obedience

6. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I've lived a life of rebellion.