1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Subtle Racial Prejudice

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 24, 2004.

1. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Uh, the Alexandrian manuscripts are NT. The DSS are OT. There were no New Testament manuscripts found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. There are two distinct OT texts represented by the DSS. One follows our present Masoretic text, and the other, originally called the "Septuagint Type Text," was later renamed the "Vorlage" text (form the German meaning "before translation").

Unless, of course, you are referring to the Alexandrian Septuagint, which is the most common Septuagint text presently in use. [​IMG]

What that find did was under-gird the Septuagint as a valid OT textform even though it differs greatly from the Masoretic type OT text.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sorry, I misspoke. I was referring to the Alexandrian Septuagint. Thanks, skan, for clarifying.

3. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

I think that was his point. So much for the "show me where the Bible says we should use the KJV" argument.

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I think that was his point. So much for the "show me where the Bible says we should use the KJV" argument. </font>[/QUOTE]Or any other similar argument. I have been saying all along, the textual issue is not an issue of doctrine, to be settled from the bible, but an issue of history and scholarship, to be decided from the historical and manuscript evidence. [​IMG]

5. superdave

superdave New Member

II Tim 3:16
    "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Or would you want to argue about the meaning of the word all, or the word is. The verse is just as much as support for the Alex. mss as it is for the TR or the KJV

Boo Ya Yourself

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Visited briefly with the fellow in question (I will be out preaching the next four Sundays) and his attack was NOT racial.

When he was speaking against "Africa" it was his belief because "Egypt is always typifying evil in OT and NT".

And his hatred for the Alexandrian (NT and LXX) documents is evident in EVERY conversation. Makes our AA look like a pussycat!

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds to me as if he needs to read his KJV a little more closely to see God's future plans for Egypt. This has come to pass in spades:

Ezekiel 29:13 Yet thus saith the Lord GOD; At the end of forty years will I gather the Egyptians from the people whither they were scattered:
    14 And I will bring again the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return into the land of Pathros, into the land of their habitation; and they shall be there a base kingdom.
    15 It shall be the basest of the kingdoms; neither shall it exalt itself any more above the nations: for I will diminish them, that they shall no more rule over the nations.

If I remember correctly, all the rulers of Egypt since her independence was returned, have all been ARABS, and she certainly has been a base(low) nation. Whether she will admit it or not, she's AFRAID OF ISRAEL!
    Isaiah 19:17 And the land of Judah shall be a terror unto Egypt, every one that maketh mention thereof shall be afraid in himself, because of the counsel of the LORD of hosts, which he hath determined against it.

And I believe the following shall come to pass, just as surely as the above prophecies have:

Isaiah 19:23 In that day shall there be a highway out of Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian shall come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians shall serve with the Assyrians.
    24In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria, even a blessing in the midst of the land: 25 Whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel mine inheritance.

When you next speak with that man, you might remind him of what's written in his own KJV-as well as the fact that those mean ole BVs such as the NIV, made from them nasty ole Alex mss, read basically the same.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Anti-Alexandrian

You would change your mind if you were to speak to me in person..Rules dont permit me to "tell it like it is." But rules are good!!

10. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Subtle???????????? Looks like it's more than just subtle Dr.Bob. That looks out and out like someone who is close minded to think that Christ cares about skin color when he and the FATHER created that skin color. -shakes head-

I'll be praying for this Church. The LORD knows who and where they are.

-sighs-

God Bless them and open their eyes.