1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SUGGESTIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SPAM, Oct 26, 2001.

1. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Why can't we stiffen the acceptance of membership a bit? As has been noted already, seems like an awful lot of unsaved folks have visited lately. Which, would be ok, if not for their spewing of obvious bias against christianity and our Father. It's not edifying for those who post here, looking to share prayer requests, discuss church matters and the like.

I suggest a section for someone's personal salvation experience. If they do not have one, give them the plan of salvation.

I realize this isn't fail proof, but it may keep some of the heretics at bay.

Spam

2. uhdum

uhdum New Member

SPAM, Saddleback Community Church in Saddleback Valley, California, is one of the largest Baptist churches in America. They have all potential members (obviously the potential members must be saved) take a membership class which will explain their beliefs, purposes, etc. They require respective members to sign a covenant stating that, as members, they will strive to focus on the church's goals of fellowship, ministry, evangelism, worship, and discipleship. Needless to say, this helps "weed out" many prospective members who, quite frankly, wish to be "pew potatoes" and not do a think for God.

3. uhdum

uhdum New Member

oh, you're referring to membership to the baptistboard. I thought you were referring to a local church membership. My bad! Oh well, both are good topics [​IMG]

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: uhdum ]

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me one place in the bible where Jesus told someone to leave him alone, I'm not talking to you. Go somewhere else.

The measure of the truth is not does he believe what you believe but do you believe what you believe and can you defend it.

Remember we were all at one time where he is and were the children of wrath even as others. So willingly share the gospel and let the God you believe in do the work, not you. You do believe God can do the work don't you, without your help?... Brother Glen

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Glen,

Amen to that!!

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MEMBERSHIP ON THE BB
    I personally like the blend we have on the present BB. We have areas for Baptists to freely discuss issue important to us. And I am learning about a lot of views that I would NEVER have thought that a Baptist might espouse that seem to be widespread!

The inundation of pagans and infidels is on the "Non-Baptist" sites, especially the Creation/Evolution Forum. Sadly, these folks are hardened and here to engender strife rather than learn or discuss.

BUT we don't know which ones of these folks may be inwardly searching, longing and what one phrase or post might be what the Spirit uses to touch a heart of stone.

As long as they are kept within boundaries so as not to disrupt the Baptist discussions I feel they should be welcomed.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MEMBERSHIP IN BAPTIST CHURCHES
    I believe when we make membership "too easy" we actually do a disservice to our church family. Many believe in "quickie" salvation and baptism; I do not advocate that.

Just repeating a little ditty like "Dear Jesus, I am a sinner. Come into my heart and save me. Amen" does not constitute biblical salvation. And if, miraculously, one WAS genuinely converted, he is left as an orphan while we tally up the score on how we helped God today . . .

And then immediately dunking them only compounds the error. We are only a step away from the mass baptisms of Constantine that made millions of pagans a part of the "church".

Genuine salvation based upon repentance and faith. True believer's baptism, understanding the picture and meaning, should be the unequivical prerequisites for being voted into the church. This gives the true foundation.

THEN that baby christian has a home, a place in the body to support, nourish, grow and mature in the knowledge of the Lord.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Membership in a church:

1.) Salvation experience
    2.) Desire to be a part of the body of believers at that building
    3.) Baptism by immersion after conversion
    4.) Church membership class
    5.) Be a part of a watchcare discipleship/mentorship for six months

Membership at the BB:
    1.) Must be able to follow the rules set up.

9. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    Membership in a church:

1.) Salvation experience
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about those of us who do not remember when we were saved?

UNP, Adam

10. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Adam, switching gears here a bit, how do you know you are saved? Are you sure?

To all who responded, thank you. I do, however believe some of you misunderstand my intent. When, as some said there are those that prove themselves to be heretical, should we allow them to spew their beliefs for all this forum to see? Though some may be more seasoned in the faith, still some on this board are baby chrisitans and can not be enhanced by reading such garbage.

{Cricket, I am referring to those like is what's on the creation vs evolution threads. Those that prove they are heretics and try to disrupt the faith aspect of our beliefs.}

As for the statement of where did Jesus not talk to someone or refuse to address them; have you read the bible? What do you say about the treatment of the Pharisees, or how Peter treated Simon the Sorcerer, etc. etc. Many times Jesus speaks harshly to, or rejects people completely, but doesn't His word tell us to do the same in some cases?

I Timothy 6: 20 "O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:"

II Timothy 2: 16 "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

Why should a "Baptist Board", suppossedly made up of saved folks, entertain such rhetoric? It appears some of you get wrapped up in intellectual verbage in areas our bible instructs us not to.

That's my point. We should not entertain their philosophies or flatter ourselves mentally. To open ourselves up to their idealogoies is in direct disobedience to God's word. And, it seems we are expecting our intellect to keep us aright.

Shouldn't we be concerned with God's direct teachings, no matter how much we want to get involved? Some folks are at a point to where no amount of speaking will do. And, I know we can't possibly figure out who is or who isn't interested in truth, until they post a bit. But once they tip their hands, shouldn't they be completely cut off.

I understand how some of you feel. You want to witness so badly, you are more than ready to do so on this board. I only hope we are so willing to speak to people in person. Those efforts, I whole heartedly applaud, but when they expose themselves to be argumentative and totally against our God, His word, should they be banned from this board? It is ironic how the evolution vs. creation forums are getting deeper and deeper into areas no one can possibly win.

For those new to the board, I spoke for weeks via e-mail to one named Bart that appeared on this board. He presented himself like some recent posts have, but after giving the plan of salvation and speaking back and forth, he proved to be argumentative and was stuck in this "prove everything" stage. As a christian, there must be faith, and no matter how much you try to prove this, those that possess no faith can not possibly relate to those who do. To make a very long story shorter, all he did was try to disprove christianity.

Hope this sheds some light. Sorry for the long post.

Paul {Spam}

11. Brian

Brian New Member

I just now read through this thread and while I am guilty of not going to the creation/evolution thread( I have no doubt that it happened like the Bible tells us it did) I am for standards. We have some good ones if everybody would abide by them it would be ok. So what to do if they don't. Some where there is a point at which we give them over as reprobate and have no further dealings with them. Since Gods word won't return to Him void every seed we plant will bear some kind of fruit. We need to be less concerned with hurting peoples feelings and more concerned the spread of the Gospel. And for the record if it becomes apparent that somebody is posting just to have a place to cause discord they should be 'sent down the road'. The Word tells us to be quick to hear and slow to wrath. It does not tell us not to be angry or not to take appropreate action. So while I don't advocate wholesale housecleaning of everyone who doesn't agree with me. (though it might be nice...) I do feel that this board could benefit from a little tighter membership requirements. So could most churches I've attended.
    sorry it's so long.
    Brian

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Brian G ]

12. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Brian, thank you. That is exactly what I mean. I do not wish to expel anyone, unless they prove themselves to be a mockery of what we deem holy and the God we serve; as some have done.

Godspeed,
    Paul {Spam}