1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Suicide is very WRONG!! We need to believe God's Word

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by GISMYS, Nov 4, 2014.

1. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

Suicide is very WRONG!! We need to believe God's word== Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are. 1 Coranthians 3:16-17

2. CatMommy

CatMommy New Member

:flower:What would compel you to make this post?

3. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

watch tv news! a 39 yr. old woman in Oregan with cancer was given pills by a doctor there so she could kill herself and she did yesterday!!!

4. CatMommy

CatMommy New Member

Her name was Brittany Maynard. And in my humble opinion, if you have brain cancer you have a choice. If you do not, you have an opinion.

I do not condemn her for her choice. And since God has mercy I don't believe he would either. God is good. If he wanted to be awesome in this case he would have intervened. But he didn't. Maybe Brittany is his angel. Letting the world know that while God created all things, he also created the intellect that is possessed by physicians who know brain cancer, barring a miracle, is a horrific way to die. And mercy, as in physician assisted peace, is a choice that allows one to maintain their dignity and find peace.

5. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

She might have been healed had she believed and had faith =now we will never know as she chose to kill herself.=== Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are. 1 Coranthians 3:16-17

6. CatMommy

CatMommy New Member

I don't think anyone who did not know Brittany personally can judge what faith she possessed.

God rest her soul to peace. :praying:

7. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

BEWARE!!! Believe God's word or you will believe satan's lies!!! I am sure satan would love to see all people on earth kill themself as satan is on earth to kill and destroy

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I would caution you, GISMYS, on relying to heavily on healing. One of the first things my grandfather taught me when I announced my calling to the ministry was that praying for healing can be just as damaging as not. What if it is not God's will to heal the person, but you ardently pray for their healing? You open the door for relatives of that person who might be weak in the faith to blame God for not healing them, especially since you all prayed so hard.

9. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

Jesus healed all. By his stripes we believers are healed, believe,have faith and receive or ---- YOUR CHOICE!==http://www.logosapostolic.org/bible_study/RP112-2God'swill.htm

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If she was not a believer, the Spirit did not dwell in her; therefore she did not destroy the temple of God.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That passage has nothing to do with physical healing.

12. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

OH!! and where do you think unbelievers go when they die?

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GISMYS -

Listen very carefully. I've told you this once before and you didn't listen the first time. Please listen now.

Yes, suicide is a sin, ....but .....

Sorry, this verse is not about suicide. It's about the holiness of the church and fleeing sexual immorality and divisions.

Paul is talking to the church at Corinth. He has heard some distressing news about the church that is allowing some serious sin to take place in it’s membership and he has received news about the church growing factions or divisions.

He is writing to them to warn them to rid themselves of immoral practices and to stop the divisions and fighting.

In chapter 3, where your quote is verse 17, Paul starts by saying that there are divisions in the church because they are fighting over which mortal man they are following – sort of like preacher worship. They were following Cephas (Peter), Apollos, and even Paul.

He goes to say that everyone has a different job. Some plant the Word. Some water. Some reap the harvest so to speak. But EVERYONE is part of the same body working together and divisions are sinful.

**Important: In verse 9, Paul says to the church that they (we) are God’s “field” and God’s “building”. He says that people build their works on that foundation and that some people’s works and ministries will shine before God like precious jewels and other’s ministries will burn up like hay on a fire.

THEN Paul says in verses 16-17 that”You (You all)” are the temple of God and that God dwells in “you (you all)”. It’s a plural idea. The church is made of the membership of the body and each individual AND the church as a body constitute the Temple of God.

He is talking about the church - the people, not the building.

When he says that anyone who “destroys” the temple that God will destroy, he isn’t talking about the following:
    • Not the individual physical body of a person
    • Not the literal Temple
    Not suicide
    • Not a person’s ministry

He is talking about people who destroy the church. Divisions, false teachings of acceptance of immorality, and basing their religion on which mortal man to follow were literally killing the church in Corinth.

He concludes by saying again that they CANNOT boast in knowing and following himself, Peter, or even Apollos. All good men doing God’s work.

But these men aren’t Christ. The church, Paul says in conclusion belongs to Christ and Christ to God.

The church in Corinth was “destroying” itself from the inside out.

He is talking about not allowing destructive teaching and practices into the church.

Specifically the church at Corinth, but in general for all Christian churches everywhere.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was thinking the same thing.

15. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

OH!! If any person dies in their sins as a unbeliever =big trouble!!!huh?

16. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people always forget that suffering and testing is a part of God's plans- look at Job, and Paul's thorn in the flesh.

Also it is wrong to end your own life for the purpose of escaping the trial God has brought to you, you are trying to play God when you do that.

17. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

When a unbeliever dies in their sins===big trouble!!! huh?

18. GISMYS

GISMYS Member

ISAIAH 53:3-5
    3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows1, and acquainted with grief2: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we did not esteem him.
    4 Surely he has borne our griefs2, and carried our sorrows1: yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
    5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his stripes we are healed.

MATTHEW 8:16-17
    16 When the evening came, they brought to him many who were possessed with demons: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all who were sick3:
    17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities4 and bore our sicknesses5.

1 PETER 2:24
    24 Who his own self bore our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live in righteousness: by whose stripes you were healed.

GALATIANS 3:13 (Paul)
    13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree:
    If you really want to know what GOD'S WORD has to say about God's will that believers live in healing=== read!!!!====http://www.logosapostolic.org/bible_study/RP112-2God'swill.htm

19. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Amen, Jordan.

In 2007, my great-aunt lay dying of cancer. She was under hospice care, and they were basically using morphine to keep her in as much comfort as possible. Her daughter, my mom's cousin, broke down a few days before my aunt's death and basically asked anyone who would listen "why is God letting her suffer like this? Why is she having to lay there like that?"

It's an understandable sentiment from a human perspective. But, my mom simply grabbed her in a hug, comforted her, and said "She's still here because God's not done with her yet. There is still something that has happen while she's here." Whether that was to bring the family back together, or to get one of her wayward children in a place to hear about the Lord, I don't know. She was called home a few days later. Not a single person in that house entertained the thought of suicide as a means of escaping the trial facing them.

20. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

People die of depression....self murder is what depression leads to. Been there multiple times...people who contemplate suicide, think that is the best way to sort it, they think by doing so is the right thing for all around them. They are not rational.

I thank God every day that I was lousy at suicide....I survived it all and know I was very fortunate.