1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday Night and Wed. Bible study

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by untangled, Jul 2, 2005.

1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Sorry to have caused this debate. Just stated the fact that when thelast pastor resigned, because of family concerns, the congregation chose to suspend Sunday evening services. The sign and bulletin both mention Sunday eve services so I expressed that we need to either hold them or remove reference from the sign and bulletins.

Again, my appologies for having caused this issue.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No apologies needed. Sometimes a good debate can remove: "Baptist Barnacles Without Biblical Basis" and other "traditions of men".

Sorry about your church

Selah,

Bro. James

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The pastor is described as an overseer, one having charge, or a ruler. That certainly carries an element of authority in it.

A church can carry on without a pastor, but they are out of order when they do, and should seek to resolve that as quickly as possible.

4. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are out of order...

Whose order?
    Can one have confession without a priest?

A New Testament Assembly is indwelled by The Holy Spirit--who leads in all Truth.

The authority to preach, baptize and teach is vested in the Assembly. She delegates the various areas of responsibility to whomever she chooses--by democratic vote. The ones who carry out the responsibilities have the authority to carry out only as delegated by the congregation.

"Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Selah,

Bro. James

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I ask again---what do you do with Hebrews 13:7 & 1 Thessalonians 5: 12-13

The church is not a democracy---it is a theocracy that has positions of authority---just like Heaven----don't think that Heaven will be run by democratic process!! The sloppiest form of Governnment is democracy.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Well, then, what do you do with what Jesus said----"All power is given unto Me both in Heaven and in Earth."----if power corrupts---and absolute power corrupts absolutely----then Jesus is absolutely corrupt!!! Is that what you're saying????

6. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leadership does not equal authoritarian rule.

In the book of Acts Chapter 1:15-26 we find the First New Testament Assembly in business meeting for the purpose of selecting a replacement for Judas Iscariot. There were two nominations: Justus and Mathias. In verse 26, and they(120, vs.15) gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias and he was numbered with the eleven. This is a democracy--lead by the Holy Spirit, Who makes all the difference. Heaven will be a pure theocracy--we are not in heaven yet, and still under the New Testament pattern. See the Book of Acts, Chs. 1 and 2.

The "power/corrupt" reference applies to depraved men, not the Lord Jesus.

Selah,

Bro. James

7. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would anyone care to share some notes with me? I am always looking for topical/textual/expository studies. I am working on outlining and preaching through James right now. I want to start teaching on a book of the Bible on Sunday nights. Any notes/outlines you guys would be willing to share? If so drop me an email.

IN Christ,

Brooks

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have some loose notes on Colossians, the last book I taught through, if you're interested. Colossians is a badly needed medicine. We need to teach our people to have Christ-centered worldviews.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has a "unified" format so we have church from 10:30-3:00 on Sunday. No evening and no prayer meeting.

One of the elders will teach a Bible study during the week. I meet weekly with the elders for study and training them.

When we were in a church with PM service, we had "open church". I sat on the communion table and we all talked, sang, prayed. Sometimes I would preach; sometimes we had so much sharing and learning and growing that a sermon was not needed.

10. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HORRORS! You sat on one of the holy items of worship in the sanctuary? [​IMG]

11. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually like that idea. I wish my people would be more open to talking as some of them have expressed themselves that they would like to do. When it comes down to actually doing it, it is different.

In Christ,

Brooks