1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School, It's Not Just For Kids Anymore!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Maverick, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an article I am submitting for the Church Newsletter. Maybe something in it may help you if your Sunday School looks a bit bare.

-----------------

Sunday School, It's Not Just For Kids Anymore!

A few years back, there was a commercial for orange juice using the phrase that "it's not just for breakfast anymore" extolling the benefits of drinking orange juice frequently and at any time. I think it is long overdue for a similar campaign for Sunday School.
    A generation or so ago it was a given that everyone from birth to death would attend Sunday School and all Church services as well as other discipleship sessions like Training Union. Sadly, it is tough enough to get folks to attend Sunday and Wednesday worship services regularly let alone a Training Union and Sunday School seems unimportant to anyone over 18.
    While there is teaching and exhortation during the worship services there is a huge need for discipleship training. Do you know the eight basic Baptist Distinctives? You would if you were in Sunday School. Can you militate against the error of baptismal regeneration using Acts 2:38 against the proponents of this heresy? Do you know the role of deacons? We discussed these and many other subjects during the study of Acts. Do you know why Macedonia uses the KJV exclusively? We did a study on this as well.
    Did you know that cults get more converts from Baptists than anyone else? Why? Because they cannot defend their faith and are duped by smooth talking false prophets.
    There is a box in the foyer for suggestions of Sunday School topics. The recent ones are cremation, bridling the tongue, anger management, homosexuality and the differences between the 1st Century Macedonia Baptist Church and the 21st Century one. The box will hold your suggestions as well. If you are anywhere from 18 - eternity there is going to be something for you in our class. I am not afraid to tackle any subject though I may have to bring in or seek other subject matter experts from time to time.
    I try and keep the class in a college atmosphere and desire input from the class members. There is a lot of wisdom in the student body and I love to tap it. There is a lot more wisdom in the folks who aren't attending and we need that as well so we can all grow stronger in Christ. Young folks add spice and vision and the mature saints add the treasure of experience. Both have a part and are valuable to the success of the class.
    Maybe the name should be changed to Sunday Seminary or Messiah's Motivational Meeting or something that takes the "for children only" flavor from it. If that is what it would take to excite people to enter into discipleship I am all for it and would even issue credits and a certificate of training from Macedonian Bible Institute with a transcript. But then I might want to administer tests and that would cool the excitement. C];)}|>
    Seriously, discipleship is a necessary part of Christian growth and we are meant to grow until we die then we achieve perfect knowledge. We are in a battle for the mind and live in a culture whose worldview is totally antithesis to the Christian worldview. We need to learn how to "rightly divide the word of truth" and "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." We are also to "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." Can you, are you and do you? If so, come help the rest of us to get there. If not, maybe we can help you.
    I am not the world's greatest teacher, but I have the greatest textbook and Mentor. Let us learn together that we may stand together for Christ and His kingdom even if we were to one day dwell "where Satan's seat is" we "may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."
    See you in Sunday School!!! Maranatha!!!

Bro. Ron

2. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Great post! Great article.
    I too feel most churches are missing the boat in the Sunday School dept. So many Baptist are ignorant of basic Bible truths and because of this are lead away into error.
    Swordsman [​IMG]