1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School : Scriptural ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Nov 11, 2008.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole point of this thread is to show that most of you have the tendency to put down, make light of and even deny a practice that is clearly Scriptural even if not an ordinance, and make light of those who choose to practice feet washing, while lifting up a man-made invention even if shown that it was originally for secular purposes and like everything else man touches gets corrupted into a mockery of God's wisdom.

I have not been mistaken.

Having proven my point, I bow out of the thread.

Have fun with your mockings !!

#21 pinoybaptist, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If you want to wash feet in your church then knock yourself out. The vast majority of folks on this board would fight for you to be able to even though they do not believe it is a church ordinance.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

What happened? The same post has come up several times.

#23 sag38, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Simply declaring Sunday School a man-made invention does not make it so. I cited scripture in Post #8 which clearly outlines the teaching function of the local church, and the description of the followers of Jesus as disciples--or students/pupils/learners.

If you are invoking the regulative principal, then I suggest that we simply change the name from Sunday School to something like, uh, Scripture Searching, patterned after the Bereans. Now it's in the Bible.

Pinoy, this is not like you. I have admired the way you engage in debate with scripture to back you up. It is strangely missing in the Sunday School debate, and you ignored my post, leaving the points I made basically unchallenged.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Folks in those days washed each others feet, not just in the church. It was a common practice in society. It also met a practical need.

It is no more spiritual than what James taught, "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

6. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Indeed they are able to defend the gospel. I haven't been in audiance with Sonny sense Nov. 1991 in Pigeon Forge. Just three days after I returned home, on the following Tuesday, I had A Grand Maul Seizure and several days after, I had a Brain surgery in the University of Va hospital. I have not been able to travel like I use to.
    Elder Sonny's last service down there was on a Friday night, I think., although he fills appointments every November down there for either 4-5 days. Would you happen to be acquainted with Elder Paul Williams? He is my Pastor.

7. Beth

Beth New Member

It can't be all that bad

Sunday School can't be all that bad. My husband and I have been used by God to pray with quite a few kindergarteners for salvation....I'd say that is pretty decent fruit.

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I can't help but think you have too high an opinion of what you have done here. You have tried to compare foot washing and SS, a comparison that doesn't really work. SS serves a specific teaching function which is clearly prescribed in Scripture. Footwashing does not. Feel free to wash feet, but I don't think we should compare it to the teaching of the word.

I am sure that there are a number of things mentioned in Scripture that you do not do.

So I don't think you have made your point at all.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

meh, I don't think it is a Scriptural issue...more below.

I will say that I think "Sunday School" is increasingly becoming irrelevant in many segments of our fragmented society. Particularly in terms of actual assimilation, discipleship, and teaching, most Sunday Schools fail to meet the basic definitions. They are great at fellowship and eating, but light on the rest. Also the model of a purely Sunday discipleship experience doesn't work imho. We need a more incarnational link from Sunday to Sunday.

I'm a big fan of off site home groups...and a growing fran of house churches...but that is just me. :)

Ah yes, the days when parents took the time to educate their children!

I thought Sunday School was primarily created to (as you partly mentioned) educate orphans...maybe I'm wrong.

Ah, I just see this as an "a-Scriptural" topic. We have plenty of "a-Scriptural" things that occupy our churches. Plumbing is an "a-Scriptural" thing that is important...well at least to me. Telephones are an "a-Scriptural" thing but I have to use one. Scripture isn't explicit on the details of how you or I are to run our local New Testament church. Scripture gives us the authority and parameters whereby we are the church but doesn't split hairs over the details.

That point is actually pretty important to me as a Baptist. I believe in the autonomy of the local church. One major reason is because Scripture allows brothers in Christ like you and me to disagree over the minor issues and still embrace the major ones. :)

I'm not disagreeing that parents should take an active role in the education but academically and spiritually of their children. I' just suggesting that maybe it does take a village...oh boy there it is, just sitting out there ;)

See this is where you lose me. Why go all commando and fire away at anyone who disagrees.

With this statement you attempt to preemptively snipe at anybody who disagrees. That makes me sad and quite incredulous towards your actual position. I appreciate the PB perspective but find it no more or less Scriptural than my own.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==You bow out of the thread without having answered any of the serious issues that have been raised. You have attacked corporate Bible study and that is your legacy in this thread. You wish to call yourself a primitive baptist, thats fine with me, but you do need to re-examine your priorities. When you attack people for gathering to teach and study the Word of God it is a clear sign that your priorities are out of line. Foot washings or no foot washings.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

If I had no answer, I would bow out as well...

12. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

How an someone launch an attack on something that isn't in the Bible??
    Show me proof of a text of any kind in the bible that refers to something called, "Sunday School."

13. PeterM

PeterM Member

Matthew 28 and Acts 2 sets forth principles that we should cling to as "people of the Book". That said, the methods we employ that bring life to those principles may be varied and will certainly represent the creativity of Christ-Followers.

Sunday School has been and continues to be an effective tool to "teach and reach" in many churches. However, it may not be an effective tool in other churches, who should be free to create what ever works for them.

Are we more concerned with uniformity in our churches than results?

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry, I would show you, but "computer" isn't in the Bible either. I must go and repent. :D

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've cited some scripture in a previous post outlining the local church's teaching function. I want to take this further. Actually, every book in the Bible has a teaching function. They were written to teach future generations.

That was the purpose of the Law in the OT. Paul, writing in Romans, described it as a "schoolmaster." Paul said the Law was designed to teach about sin and our sinful nature.

The Sermon on the Mount could more accurately be described as the Teaching on the Mount.

Why did the gospel writers put together their stories?. To teach, that's why.

The Letters? Mainly for teaching.

I could go on and on, but my point is made.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think it's in the same book where we find references to the Trinity, Closed Communion, Gnosticism and Guitars.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Communist Party of the USSR believed likewise:

"It appears that the registered churches of the major union, while they behave circumspectly and do not push their luck, have freedom to hold stated services. However, they are not allowed to have Sunday Schools or give open religious instruction to youth."
    Leon McBeth, The Baptist Heritage: Four Centuries of Baptist Witness, p. 818.

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==At my church we call it "Bible Study" not Sunday School. Call it what you wish. There is nothing in Scripture that says that we should not gather together to study God's Word. I really have to wonder why any Christian would condemn Sunday School. It is really weird.

Are you also opposed to group Bible studies outside of church? How about Bible colleges and seminaries? O, and since you seem to want "proof texts" why don't you show me a Bible verse that allows for or commands a english translation of Scripture. Or for that matter churches with names or denominations or church buses or building funds or bulletins or recording of the service on tape or cd? Where is your Biblical support for any of that?

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was soooo unregulative for those elders at the temple to minister to young Jesus absent direct parental supervision. Mary and Joseph themselves obviously had a deficient commitment to family-integrated worship, Amen, since they let Him out of their sight and authority for three whole days. If only Vision Forum were around back then to set them straight!

#39 Jerome, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  20. Beth

Beth New Member

popular

Vision forum is really popular with lots of homeschooling moms that I know...I really don't understand the attraction....I personally find the organization to promote Christian reconstructionism and tend to avoid the ministry.

Beth