1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday-worship

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 14 provides a "defense" of the one who "observes ALL the Holy Days" in the Lev 23 liturgical calendar as WELL as the defense of the one who "observes ONE above another".

That is hardly a case for finding a way to do away with the 4th commandment.

Colossians 2 is speaking of the "shadow" ceremonial Sabbaths given as predictive laws pointing TOWARD the work of Christ in the future as high priest and atoning sacrifice.

By contrast - God's 4th commandment was given as a prescriptive law pointing BACK as a MEMORIAL of the Creator's Creative act. (Hence the 7 day cycle instead of yearly cycle).

In any case - the memorial aspect is explicit in the language of the commandment in Ex 20:8-11 as "spoken by God".

A day that Christ said "Was MADE for MANKIND" Mark 2:27.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dear Bob,
    Read Part 4 of 'The Lord's Day in the Covenant of Grace', and especially the Appendixes where I treat on Colossians 2:16-17.
    Why does Paul dare the world - or rather the Church - "NOT (TO) BE JUDGED with respect to (her) feasting ("eating, drinking") OF (her) Sabbaths"? Because of what Christ availed through resurrection from the dead, verse 15! It amounts to Paul saying: 'Feast your Sabbaths because of the fact Jesus conquered by having been raised from the dead and don't you be intimidated or denounced for it by anyone of / in the world'. Sunday could never have been implied, but the Sabbath must be. It is the redemption-reason for the Sabbath's keeping, just like in Deut.5 and just like in Genesis 2! You yourself have quoted Mk2:27 "made FOR man" - his NEED supposed its basis.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is in fact an error. The abuse that Paul is correcting in Colossians 2 is ALSO condemned before the cross by Christ in Matt 7:1-3.

The abuse and sin "did not suddenly BECOME wrong" after the cross. It was always wrong.

Your argument is unique in that it is arguing for feasting on Sabbath as though this was the intent of the Cross. However it is clear in Colossians two that this "judging of others" was a problem - an abuse by those with false doctrine, and Christ makes it clear that they were doing this BEFORE the cross (Matt 7) and were condemend THEN for doing it as well as in Colossians 2.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unless one reads Deuteronomy 5:12-15 where another basis is given for it:

Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you, so that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day.

So another basis for keeping the seventh day holy (which implements a weekly cycle) is the exodus. Or, is there an alternate interpretation of the word "therefore"?
    </font>[/QUOTE]

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To Mercury,
    Excelent! Most insightful answer! And it reveals the REDEMPTIVE actuality and pertinence of God's Day of Worship.
    Gerhard

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is in fact an error. The abuse that Paul is correcting in Colossians 2 is ALSO condemned before the cross by Christ in Matt 7:1-3.

The abuse and sin "did not suddenly BECOME wrong" after the cross. It was always wrong.

Your argument is unique in that it is arguing for feasting on Sabbath as though this was the intent of the Cross. However it is clear in Colossians two that this "judging of others" was a problem - an abuse by those with false doctrine, and Christ makes it clear that they were doing this BEFORE the cross (Matt 7) and were condemend THEN for doing it as well as in Colossians 2.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dear Bob,
    I am at a loss as how to answer such wild reasoning as this. These Scriptures are not in the least related. "Judging of others" -between members of the Church- IS NOT THE SUBJECT in Col2:16-17. What I want to tell you is that Colossians 2:16-17 has ever been isolated from its OWN context, and that it when appreciated in its own context shows no negative thing about the Sabbath, but everything positive - with empgasis. In fact, it reveals the SOLE grounds for its CHRISTIAN "celebration", namely, its anchorage and grounding in the work of Christ through His suffering and resurrection: verses 12 to 15. Understanding verses 16-17 without constant, unservered connection with the beforegoing, is not to understand them at all. Paul does not denounce the Church for anything here, but the world that judged it for its enjoyment of its CHRISTIAN (Seventh Day) Sabbath. I challenge the scholarship of the world to prove me wrong in this persuasion. Do not fall for the world's deception as far as these verses are concerned.
    Gerhard

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To Bob,
    Post script: I have Calvin to back me up on this!
    Gerhard

7. Kamoroso

Kamoroso New Member

Matt 5:17-19 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus said that the law would not change in any way until all had been fulfilled. He also said that anyone who taught that the commandments were changed, would be called the least in heaven. The changing of the commandments of God, by the church of Rome, is another attempt by antischrist to undermine the gospel message, and seperate humanity from their God. While the Doctrine of the Immaculate Conception undermines the means of our salvation, that is justification, the changing of God's commandments undermines the fruits of our salvation, that is sanctification.

Rom 8:3-9 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Christ condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us. If we believe that the law of God has been changed, and act accordingly, how can the law of God be fulfilled within us? It is the carnal mind, that is the mind of the flesh, that cannot be subject to the law of God. The church of Rome has succeeded in replacing the seventh day sabbath of the fourth commandment, with her own man made sabbath of the first day with the majority of Christians. These Christians cannot be walking in the Spirit, while they are ignoring the fourth commandment of God, in favor of a man made tradition. The purpose of this change in the law, is the same as the rest of the false doctrines espoused by the church of Rome, the seperation of humanity from their God.

I Jn 3:4 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Sin is the transgression of the law. If the law is subject to change, then so is the definition of sin. This is nonsense. If the law could be changed, then Christ need not have died to redeem us from sin, which is the transgression of the law. Why would God the Father put his Son Jesus Christ through the pain and agony of taking the sins of the world upon himself on the cross, when he could have just changed the law? Worse yet, why would he let his Son make this ultimate sacrifice, and then change the law? Again, this is nonsense. The law could not be changed, and it demanded the death of the sinner who broke it. Therefore, God through his Son became one of us, and took our flesh to the cross, that it might be crucified unto our salvation. For grace does not nullify the law of God, it establishes it. Christ removed the condemnation of the law for those who have picked up the cross and followed him. This he has done so that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in these same persons who walk after the Spirit and not the flesh.

Rom 6:1-18 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
    6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
    14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
    16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
    17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Christ came to save us from sin, not in sin. The Lord Jesus Christ was the only human being that ever fulfilled the law of God, and the only one that ever will. If by faith you choose to die in him on the cross, then the Son of God can fulfill the law within you also through the indwelling of his Holy Spirit. The plan of salvation is not just a get to heaven free card, it is a plan of restoration for the human race. It is about bringing humanity back to the image of God in which they were created.

Gal 2:20-21 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Righteousness does not come by the law, but by the indwelling of the Lord Jesus in our hearts. Keeping the commandments cannot save anyone, but one who is saved will keep the commandments because Christ dwells within them. This is what the prophet Jeremiah foretold in the old testament.

Jer 31:31-33 31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Christ established this new covenant. He was the example for all Christians to follow. He kept the seventh day Sabbath, as the fourth commandment requires. His followers will do the same. The observence of the seventh day Sabbath is a sign that one has entered into God's rest, ceasing from their own labors, and entering into his. Even in the old covenant, the Sabbath was a sign that God sanctifies the believer.

Exod 31:13 13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

The book of Hebrews refers to the Sabbath as a sign of entering into God's rest.

Heb 4:1-11 1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
    7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
    8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
    9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
    10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
    11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Those who enter into God's rest, cease from their own labours, or works, and allow the works of God to be performed within them. The seventh day Sabbath is a sign of this sanctifying work which God performs within his people. It is the day set aside by God himself at creation, for humanity to worship and praise him who created and sustains all life. On this day we are to set aside all the works of our own hands, and the cares of this world, and rest completely in our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. It is a time to focus upon God, and remember that we are completely dependent upon him for life itself. It is not only for rest, but for a weekly renewal of our relationship with our God and Savior.

Matt 11:29-30 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

2 Cor 5:14-17 14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
    15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
    16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
    17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

The Sabbath is a sign of entering into God's rest through his Son, and the new creation which takes place as a result. This sign, the church of Rome has sought to remove from humanity, by replacing the Sabbath of the fourth commandment. This is only right, since the church of Rome serves the purpose of seperating humanity from their God and Savior, while claiming to do just the oppossite. Therefore, she attempts to rid the world of the day which God has set aside for humanities rest and renewal in Him.

Jesus himself, blessed, and sanctified the seventh day of the week at creation, for it was he that created all that is (John 1:1-3). When he became a man, and dwelt among us, he not only observed the fourth commandment, but spent a great deal of time teaching us how to properly observe it. There is no indication anywhere in the scriptures that the Sabbath had ever, or would ever be changed. However, there are scriptures that speak about the man of sin, and the one who would think to change times, and laws. The fourth commandment is the only commandment of the law that deals with a specifically with time. We will close this chapter with a look at these scriptures.

Dan 7:24-26 24 And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.
    25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.
    26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

II Th 2:2-4 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
    3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
    4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Bye for now. Y. b. in C. Keith

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You argue against me as if I have argued against the Law. Show me where I once did! I am against the principle though to pit the Law against the LAW - to pose the Ten Commandments against Jesus Christ, and to make it a redeemer by our own satisfaction of it. That is abominable in the eyes of the Lord. Your defense of the Law -what honour does it bring to Christ? Christ took its place, and with it the acclammation and honour. I am a Sabbatharian, and I tell you I do NOT believe or (try to) keep the Sabbath because the Fourth Commandment tells me to, but because I hav fouind ALL reason for it in the LORD of the Sabbath Day. I -like Paul- don't NEED the "Letter engraven in stone" NO MORE, since the LIVING Law, the WORD of God in PERSON, fulfills our EVERY need. A Christian does not have to be so anxious about the Ark and its Contents that he thinks himself the only fit protector of it and try to keep it falling from its wheels like the Jewish priesthood who in any case long ago has let it fall to pieces. Where is that Law today, so permanently "written with the Finger of God" His Holy Spirit but scarcely received, rejected? It is written in the heart by faith in Jesus Christ. IN HIM there is no "substance" (Col2:17) of the Law or of the Sabbath Day left in or of or by itself. The Jews' Law today is not the Christians' LAW today. We do NOT observe the same Law, neither do we observe the same Sabbath, although it may be the same day and even the same definition - it's the ESSENCE that makes the difference, and that ESSENCE is Jesus Christ.
    Gerhard

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think we do dishonour to the Law to all day long shout the law the law, instead of to fix the eye on Christ and to follow in His steps. Isn't that "Law" for the believer in Him? Isn't that ENOUGH? Isn't that the best honour and respect we could have for the Law (of Ten Commandments), to really see WHOM it speaks of, namely of its GIVER?

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well then, that settles it... you lose. [​IMG]

(I am Arminian) ;)

In Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gerhard said
    I appreciate the idea that "feasting on Sabbath" (Rejoicing) is the point you are trying to get out of this, but as for this judging context and the fact that Paul does mention it in Col 2 "Let no one Judge you regarding.." (not only Sabbath, but new moon and other things listed).

As the risk of providing "too much content"

The error in the local church is being defined clearly here
    - philosophy, empty deception,
    - the tradition of men (not of God) - "man made religion"
    - and "elementary principles of this world" (possibly paganism in some form).

None of it is "acceptable" none of it is "to be viewed as a good thing". All this error is utterly condemned as originating with man - not God.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Here Christ is presented as the only solution for our sin problem. The goal of making us alive by accomplishing forgiveness of sins for us.

Christ represents all of God - not some small nice-but-insufficient bifurcation of God. The totality of God in power, word, knowledge and love is embodied in Christ. The error then (as today) was apparently in dissecting God - Christ was "this part of God but not that old part of God".

Paul focuses on the problem - sin causing separation and requiring forgiveness of sin via payment of our eternal death - debt - for us to survive.

Christ's death (payment for our sin) that accomplishes the solution "forgiving us all our transgressions".

In this way Paul eliminates the basis for false teachers to come in and say that Christ was "insufficient" and a works-based religion is needed. They could not then argue that we still owe a debt of sin, and must achieve the goal (forgiveness) by some other means. (A means that seems to include listening to “their vain philosophy” fables and deceit and judged by their man-made tradition. according to vs 8)

-----------------------------------------------------
    Notice the context is that of making you alive solving the problem of you being dead in transgression.

What defines what sin is??
    (Rom 5, 7 tell us that the law defines what sin is - it is not a "record of guilt" but a standard of perfect sinless righteousness)

What defines our transgression?

Clearly it is defined by a record of which sins we commit and how often. A record of some kind must exist to show what each individual owes "according to his deeds"
    Clearly the "decrees against us" are written in these books out of which each person is judged "according to their deeds".

So then, what records/defines what each person's debt is? The law is the basis for knowing what is sin, but it is not the transaction of judgment specific to each individual - it is not a “record of guilt” it is instead a standard of judgment. It is the authoritative legal basis upon which judgment is rendered the standard that is compared to the life and actual deeds of each human. The resulting judgment then shows exactly where each one falls short of the glory of God. All are placed under condemnation and incur a debt of sin specific to their actual sins. The Holy Just and true “the spiritual Law of God” (Rom 7) is not that record of sin – it is not the “certificate of debt owed”.

The books of record show our "debt" they record each deed and also determine the debt owed - the "certificate of debt".

However - it is not the books of record that are "nailed to the cross" - rather it is the "debt" that they say each individual "owes". The certificate of debt that they decree as owed (a decree made by comparing our lives against the perfect standard - God's Law), is what is nailed to the cross and stamped "paid in full". And this - for every one of mankind.

But to avail ourselves of that cancelled debt - we must choose Christ - choose to be born again - to have the LAW of God written in our heart - instead of nailed and done away with. To have the new creation that walks after the spirit - instead of rebelling against the Law of God - being hostile to God's Law - refusing to submit and indeed UNNABLE to submit to it (Roman 8:5-8)

Christ took the "stroke due us" the debt of death (Rom 623) was paid, nailed to the cross. It is the debt that is paid - the "certificate of debt" which itself "consists of decrees against us" faithfully records our deeds and what is owed individually -- and Christ pays the debt accumulated by each one of us.

Obviously when the police write out a ticket with a fine attached, then when the fine is canceled (via payment) - the law that defines obedience and violation - is not also cancelled.

Also note that the law that defines our sin - is not some local law specific only to the Hebrew nation. (as if only Hebrews need a savior)

God's law places all under condemnation.
    Notice that in Galatians 3 Paul equates the law known to NT saints with “scripture” known to NT saints. God’s infallible word places all mankind “under sin” telling the truth – that we are all sinners and in need of a savior – someone who will pay our debt and redeem us.

It must be the law that defines debt and for which the cross was intended as payment. That can only be one law - the moral law. (without it there is no debt, no sin Rom 5).

Rom 5:13 sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    Rom 4:14 15 for the law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Col 2:16 refers explicitly to judging one another (within the Christian group) regarding our observance of food and drink regulations, festivals, new moon celebrations, "or a Sabbath day". This is not a new sin that became sin only after the cross - rather judging one another was sin before anything was nailed to the cross (Matt 7:1-4).

Furthermore - Col 2:16 identifies the things about which they were judged to include the things of God - whose origin was in the word of God - his shadow (predictive) Sabbaths given in Lev 23. "things which are a mere shadow of things to come". That is, things which point not to present or past reality but to a future events that "belong to Christ". Things already given for the people of God - prior to Paul's day that pointed predictively toward the messiah when given.

These annual feast days -- shadow Sabbaths -- point forward to a future event regarding the Messiah. But “the traditions of man” had turned these “shadow Sabbaths” into a kind of alternative to the Savior who died for our sins and paid our debt. Their judgmental spirit is condemned in the Matt 7 statement of Christ saying “Judge not that you be not judged” and Paul says that even after the cross – the spirit if judging was not to be tolerated. In Romans 14 Paul observes of these annual feast days "one observes every day and another observes one above another but all observe to the Lord" Rom 14,

If the shadow for Sabbath was the eternal life in heaven - if that were the fulfillment of the salvation promise in Sabbath – “then” it would not be fulfilled yet so there would be no excuse for ignoring Christ the Creator’s Holy day today. More than this – once we get to the New Earth –all has been fulfilled – all of salvation history is over – but even then – Sabbath is not “done away”. As mentioned in Isaiah 66 Sabbath is applicable even in the new heavens and the new earth.

</font>[/QUOTE]In Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gerhard said
    Look at vs 8. This is not a case of pagans arguing that Christians are wrong. In fact pagan ALWAYS argue that Chrisians are wrong and never come in to "give us better instruction" on HOW to observe festival Sabbaths, or the Lord's Supper or food or drink.

This is a case of an inside debate where the local church is being taken in by tradition, deception and philosphy "from among their own selves".

As Paul said in Act 20 "From among your own selves grevious wolves will come in".

In Christ,

Bob
    [/quote]